★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

For people with consoles or handhelds, do you play IOS less/value it less?

12-28-2015, 07:10 PM
For people with consoles or handhelds, do you play IOS less/value it less?

Let me explain. iOS has some amazing games on it. iOS gaming, while not the best, is definitely something I enjoy... But I feel like I value console games or PC or whatever more then it so I rarely play my iOS games since I can play a game that's 'not a mobile game' instead of something on mobile, even if it's really good. It's a mindset I'm annoyed at myself for having and causes my iOS backlog to be huge. Does anyone else feel this way or have tried to get out of that mentality?
12-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spader623 View Post
Let me explain. iOS has some amazing games on it. iOS gaming, while not the best, is definitely something I enjoy... But I feel like I value console games or PC or whatever more then it so I rarely play my iOS games since I can play a game that's 'not a mobile game' instead of something on mobile, even if it's really good. It's a mindset I'm annoyed at myself for having and causes my iOS backlog to be huge. Does anyone else feel this way or have tried to get out of that mentality?
I prefer iOS.

12-28-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm the exact opposite. I really love the idea of iOS gaming (mobile gaming in general actually, not only iPhone). I love how your phone is able to do anything, from calling or sending sms to browsing the Internet to playing games on it. I hate taking handheld consoles with me, it feels weird to open it and start playing it when I have a 10 min break, while my iPhone is always in my pocket and I can take it out and play whatever I want. I have a 3ds and I barely touch it. The thing is, I can't find a game I absolutely love. I played hearthstone for a long time but it starts to bore me, and I still didn't find a game that I could play endlessly like it.

And about "value it less" ; I prefer handheld/console games more than iOS games, actually. The controls are usually better and the games have more depth. But I don't see it as "should I play iOS games or pc games now?". If I'm home and I have time, I'll play pc games I like. The iPhone is there for playing games when I don't have access to you other consoles (pc, Xbox etc).
12-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateRidingParrot View Post
I'm the exact opposite. I really love the idea of iOS gaming (mobile gaming in general actually, not only iPhone). I love how your phone is able to do anything, from calling or sending sms to browsing the Internet to playing games on it. I hate taking handheld consoles with me, it feels weird to open it and start playing it when I have a 10 min break, while my iPhone is always in my pocket and I can take it out and play whatever I want. I have a 3ds and I barely touch it. The thing is, I can't find a game I absolutely love. I played hearthstone for a long time but it starts to bore me, and I still didn't find a game that I could play endlessly like it.

And about "value it less" ; I prefer handheld/console games more than iOS games, actually. The controls are usually better and the games have more depth. But I don't see it as "should I play iOS games or pc games now?". If I'm home and I have time, I'll play pc games I like. The iPhone is there for playing games when I don't have access to you other consoles (pc, Xbox etc).
Yeah my problem though is I'm not usually out and about and if I am it's like 3 minutes for being on my phone, so I can't play much of 80 days or king of dragon pass or whatever it may be.
12-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spader623 View Post
Yeah my problem though is I'm not usually out and about and if I am it's like 3 minutes for being on my phone, so I can't play much of 80 days or king of dragon pass or whatever it may be.

People are going to hate me for this reply, but I see no reason to play iOS games when you're home if you have a console you like. Games on consoles are just better. The controls are better, most games have way more to offer when it comes to depth and length, graphics are usually better, using a bigger screen should be more comfortable... I too stay a lot at home, but whenever I leave the house my iPhone is a very good device to pass the time with. I think that iPhone has nothing to do with pc/Xbox/ps4. When youre at home and you have some free time, the big consoles can easily offer you entertainment for hours. When outside, you can play games on your iPhone whenever you like and for as much time as you like.
12-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateRidingParrot View Post
People are going to hate me for this reply, but I see no reason to play iOS games when you're home if you have a console you like. Games on consoles are just better. The controls are better, most games have way more to offer when it comes to depth and length, graphics are usually better, using a bigger screen should be more comfortable... I too stay a lot at home, but whenever I leave the house my iPhone is a very good device to pass the time with. I think that iPhone has nothing to do with pc/Xbox/ps4. When youre at home and you have some free time, the big consoles can easily offer you entertainment for hours. When outside, you can play games on your iPhone whenever you like and for as much time as you like.
Nah. I play iOS even when I am at home. Playing on bed is great. Each one with their preferences.

For example, Baldur's Gate can offer entertainment for hours. In fact, I have more games purchased than I could play on a lifetime. My favorite genres: point and click adventures, interactive fiction and rpgs are perfect on Ipad. Even some platforms like Goblin Sword and Swordigo are awesome.

If it weren't for upgrades breaking many games and purchase history problems, the system would be perfect.
12-29-2015, 03:59 PM
I was wondering how this would work when I got my vita and then eventually ps4. I still play iOS games, even at home. But about 2/3 less than I did. Now instead of looking for deep games on my iPad I'm instead on the hunt for truly mobile games on iPhone cause when I'm at home it's all about the console. The game play doesn't even compare. That's objective.

Now ones tastes in game design is entirely subjective and can dictate playing iOS over a more in depth console or PC machine. That's up to you tho. As for me, there's still a few games I will play and looking forward to play on iPad at home but only a handful.

Last edited by ScotDamn; 12-29-2015 at 04:02 PM.
12-29-2015, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrio View Post
Nah. I play iOS even when I am at home. Playing on bed is great. Each one with their preferences.

For example, Baldur's Gate can offer entertainment for hours. In fact, I have more games purchased than I could play on a lifetime. My favorite genres: point and click adventures, interactive fiction and rpgs are perfect on Ipad. Even some platforms like Goblin Sword and Swordigo are awesome.

If it weren't for upgrades breaking many games and purchase history problems, the system would be perfect.
That last sentence is the big elephant in the room tho. And it's kind of a deal breaker when taking the platform as serious as any other. It essentially makes buying games on iOS an extending lease.
12-29-2015, 04:47 PM
I have a PS3 and a Wii - but I only ever play on my iPad and iPhone.
12-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrio View Post

I sometimes lay on bed and play some games when I'm very tired too. But when I'm at home I usually want to play on pc. Every game you play probably has something similar on PC and the controls there will be better. Also, as I said, playing on a larger screen is more fun (that's my opinion but I don't see how playing on small screens could be more fun than playing on large screens). I would never come home and want to play an adventure game on the iphone, because I have better counterparts on PC, like Witcher 3. And that's coming from someone who didn't even like Witcher 3 that much. It doesn't feel like I have a reason to play on my iphone when my PC games feel superb in almost every way.

Just an example that happened to me: I played tons of Hearthstone in the last year. When the Iphone version was announced I was so hyped that I upgraded my old iphone to an iphone 6 just to guarantee better performance, even if it was little.I thought to myself "wow, now I'll be able to walk around the house / outside, do whatever I want AND play Hearthstone at the same time. This is going to be amazing!". In the end I still play on PC way more. It's only because the PC version is... better. In every single way.