★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Flock 3D is a "spatial exercise", challenging you to manage a dynamic flock. The flock is a living system of agents that respond to each other as well as the iPhone "touch" interface. Push the swarm around, steer them away from the bombs and keep as many of them alive to achieve maximum flock survival. The action takes place in a fully realized 3D environment, where the spectacular 3D abilities of the iPhone/iPod are foregrounded. Flock 3D is an elegant and simple game that you can play over and over again - an exercise that challenges your mind as well as your thumb.

Game features include:

- Fully realized 3D graphics with OpenGL acceleration - see what your iPhone/iPod is capable of!
- Intuitive controls using the touch interface - touch the screen and see the flock react.
- Three game play modes of increasing difficulty, each with a unique 3D environment.
- Touch-controlled camera lets you track down agents and bombs in a sprawling environment.
- Training mode that walks you through controls and objectives.
- Fast-paced action.
- Intelligent agent behavior, based on Craig Reynold's steering behaviors.
- Scoring system - keep track of your best scores.

Read more at http://proxyarch.com/iphone

Flock World is developed by Proxy, a design firm that works with computation and space. Proxy explores artificial intelligence and generative systems in a variety of platforms, including architecture and software development.

More information on Proxy can be found at http://proxyarch.com
10-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Although not a demo of the game, just for some background, the "steering behaviour" mentioned here is Craig Reynolds' Boids flocking algorithm which has been used in everything from video games and flocking/herding simulations to CGI animations in major motion pictures. There are also a plugins for Maya and 3DStudio called Flock and Flock 3D respectively (whence came the aforementioned CGI animations).

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

10-01-2009, 10:39 PM
/toftt

Stunningly well-rendered; just a pure pleasure to look at, so kudos to the developers even on that fact alone. They may even be sculpting the terrain mesh before run time, not sure. I played each of the three difficulty levels, one of which is a simple tutorial, and the other two just ramp up the time, space, and number of boids you need to protect. When you see a bomb (or bombs), you simply swipe boids away from the bomb to prevent their premature demise. Two-finger swipes rotate the globe, although the game often mistook this for a double-tap to pause the game. That's really all you do and, although it was technically quite impressive, it may leave players wanting more. I am familiar with the work on Boids and appreciate its ability to model natural behavior and I love the art style here, so for me, it was worth it.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
10-01-2009, 10:41 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Nice TOFTT djflippy!

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
10-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Thank you, sir.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
10-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Sounds good, I am gonna buy it too. The graphics and design look too cool to pass up
10-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Sounds like it may be worth checking out just for the design alone.

I also just remembered David Kilmer also released a free Boids simulator for the iPhone way back in case anyone wants to play. Some fun configuration option to change Boid behaviour too, plus the ability to change backgrounds and the shape of each Boid.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
10-02-2009, 04:29 PM
well checking out Boids first - its free

but quite like the look of this - is there a video anywhere?

Stop viewing Signatures
->editoptions->Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"->Uncheck "Show Signatures"->Scroll down, hit "Save Changes"
10-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
well checking out Boids first - its free

but quite like the look of this - is there a video anywhere?
I checked YouTube quickly, and didn't find a video

Also thanks for the tip about Boids, i think i'll check that out before buying this game... it looks fun though!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
10-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Well I bought it... I'd say hold off on it... As of now, I don't see this staying on my device for very long.. Take it for what it is, a 'technical' demo, if that. I'd rather my $0.99 go directly to the developer, rather than to this game. I like the tech behind it, but not the app itself.

3/5

Plus+ ID: Wegmans