★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Mystery of the games that bypass the notice of toucharcade

01-06-2016, 04:43 AM
#1
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 735
Mystery of the games that bypass the notice of toucharcade

i wouldn't say it's very many. But I will find either a game really popular in the game charts, or find a game recommended on another site. Yet come back to Toucharcade and the game has never been mentioned, even in the weekly list of out now! releases. Just wondered how this happens!
Just found another game in the charts- Bruce Lee, and don't think I ever seen mention of it here.
01-06-2016, 11:01 AM
#2
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 8,683
This Bruce Lee?

Sure, games do make it through the cracks, even though you're probably not searching hard enough.

But really...while there are a handful of members who actively make threads for games on a regular basis (like Eli, Jared, myself, Echoseven and Killercow (most recently) and others such as Sanuku (who doesn't post as much) or PeteOzzy (who decided to leave TouchArcade) who took care of the weekly mass thread postings, anyone is free to make threads for games. If you find something that hasn't been listed, by all means create a thread for it.

Ultimately it's what gets posted on the forums and what the TA boys receive in their inboxes that makes it onto the weekly TA front-page lists, so if you're seeing a game on Pete's site for example, but not here, it's because no one's made the effort to make a thread for it.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

01-06-2016, 12:17 PM
#3
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,268,711
There's so much stuff that gets released on the App Store that it's simply impossible to catch it all. What's interesting though, is a lot of stuff that we "miss" are actually really old games we've already covered that got updated or otherwise are boosted up the charts. We put more priority towards discovering new stuff than we do following up on old stuff, which is where you'll often see things like Bruce Lee come from out of nowhere and be like "Why isn't TA covering this?" when in reality we did cover it, years ago.
01-06-2016, 03:24 PM
#4
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
This Bruce Lee?

Sure, games do make it through the cracks, even though you're probably not searching hard enough.

But really...while there are a handful of members who actively make threads for games on a regular basis (like Eli, Jared, myself, Echoseven and Killercow (most recently) and others such as Sanuku (who doesn't post as much) or PeteOzzy (who decided to leave TouchArcade) who took care of the weekly mass thread postings, anyone is free to make threads for games. If you find something that hasn't been listed, by all means create a thread for it.

Ultimately it's what gets posted on the forums and what the TA boys receive in their inboxes that makes it onto the weekly TA front-page lists, so if you're seeing a game on Pete's site for example, but not here, it's because no one's made the effort to make a thread for it.
There are other games. Bruce Lee was just to hand, and yeah it looks like it was there. I'd never really thought about how Toucharcade worked like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
There's so much stuff that gets released on the App Store that it's simply impossible to catch it all. What's interesting though, is a lot of stuff that we "miss" are actually really old games we've already covered that got updated or otherwise are boosted up the charts. We put more priority towards discovering new stuff than we do following up on old stuff, which is where you'll often see things like Bruce Lee come from out of nowhere and be like "Why isn't TA covering this?" when in reality we did cover it, years ago.
Yeah that's fair enough but I do still think some get through the net. But hopefully with the majority of the radars of the forum guys and TA themselves, its only a very small %, and likely lower quality I guess.
01-06-2016, 03:39 PM
#5
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,268,711
Honestly the games we don't cover are games that aren't resonating with our community. If no one cares about something in the forums, no one is going to care about that same game when it's posted on the front page. We skip a lot of stuff just because we don't have the resources to cover absolutely everything... So we make educated guesses on what people will want to read about.
01-23-2016, 12:53 AM
#6
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2,143
Kinda like the Katy Perry game that everyone is talking about! Can't peruse the forums without constantly tripping over that one!
01-25-2016, 03:21 PM
#7
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Honestly the games we don't cover are games that aren't resonating with our community. If no one cares about something in the forums, no one is going to care about that same game when it's posted on the front page. We skip a lot of stuff just because we don't have the resources to cover absolutely everything... So we make educated guesses on what people will want to read about.
That is the key. If they aren't talked about here, TA folks don't think they exist. Pretty sad.

Thus TA will never cover any of the great many board game versions on iOS since rarely people talk about them here. Likewise with other apps that are talked about on other sites.

And for every one they might review of he above about 10 other ones will get missed.
01-25-2016, 04:14 PM
#8
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,268,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofunguy View Post
That is the key. If they aren't talked about here, TA folks don't think they exist. Pretty sad.

Thus TA will never cover any of the great many board game versions on iOS since rarely people talk about them here. Likewise with other apps that are talked about on other sites.

And for every one they might review of he above about 10 other ones will get missed.
We have to pick our battles, I'd love to cover every obscure game out there but we're a small site with very limited resources. We write about a lot of things that I personally think are really cool and cater to a super niche audience that generate very little traffic (Like Shaun's whole RPG Reload series) but those stories need to be balanced out with what the bulk of our visitors want to read... Which means articles about Hearthstone and other similarly popular game or other games with mainstream potential.

Keep in mind the sites who only post about those ultra-niche things are run by hobbyists doing that sort of thing for fun. We travel to as many events we can for hands-on stuff, and have a staff of both full-time and freelance people to keep an eye on the App Store 24/7. I'm not sure that sort of thing would be possible if we chose to specifically post things all the time that I know won't resonate with our community just to make people who like a specific type of obscure board game happy or whatever.