★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I recently gone the way of paying for higher priced games..

01-10-2016, 12:06 PM
I recently gone the way of paying for higher priced games..

Usually stuck to $0.99/79p or free games.
But got Dandy, and Sneaky Sneaky, both at $4.99/£2.99 and been very impressed by them, really two quality games.Also bought Active Soccer 2, and Five Card Quest which I was disappointed by.
Problem of paying high priced games is with so many games having to make a choice. Some overtime at Christmas so splashed out on some steam and itunes games.

Signed
-Reformed Scrooge.
01-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Part of the reason, I started spending more was a mistaken belief that the refund system might be there as backup if you pay out over the odds for a shite game. It stands to reason that if you got protection from buying something bad, you'll more likely to splash out more on higher priced games. Any opinions on this, could be good discussion point. Even if most disagree

So two discussion points:
1) Whats the most you paid on a game?
2) Should the refund system be there if you dislike a game after playing 5 minutes of it, and don't like it?

Last edited by thumbs07; 01-10-2016 at 12:12 PM.

01-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Paid $19.99 for XCOM when it first came out. Second most expensive game was probably MHFU. Don't mind spending money if I'm going to get a great gaming experience.
01-10-2016, 04:00 PM
The most I've spent on a game was £8 for Carcassonne. It was probably a bit too much, but I've been wanting it for years and I'd just been given a £25 voucher.

Prior to that my max was £4 each for Oceanhorn, X-Com TEW and the first two Magic the Gathering games. I definitely got my money' sporty out of Oceanhorn and MTG. X-Com seems well made, but hasn't grabbed me.

I live in Europe where the refund policy you want does exist - but if you use it too much they take it away.
01-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
I live in Europe where the refund policy you want does exist - but if you use it too much they take it away.
Not quite the same as US, but there have been many postings about Apple not refunding people after some number of refunds.

The "premium" market in the App store is really quite interesting, and particularly for many or most of the small indie games, a few screen shots certainly gives little knowledge to the gameplay.

In the early days of the App store, new studios were the rule, not the exception, and there was a common, TOFTT (take one for the team) here at TA that people would volunteer to purchase an unknown game, and post impressions. It was actually quite successful, and allowed folks to feel a little confident in their purchase. That has largely gone away, but the threads usually have impressions so you should have some confidence in the purchase.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
01-11-2016, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs07 View Post

So two discussion points:
1) Whats the most you paid on a game?
2) Should the refund system be there if you dislike a game after playing 5 minutes of it, and don't like it?
1. Hearthstone. About $130 to $150... Cant remember the exact totals, but im glad i did. Tis all worth it.
2. Theatrhythm. Around $40 i think. Mostly for songs, and most of it from a sale.
3. MHFU. Spent around $35 coz i instabought the JP version first (had to go through crap to get a good deal on JP credits as itunes jp wont accept my PH credit cards) and then instabought MHFU again when they released worldwide.

I wouldnt get refunds for crappy games, but i would request for it for broken ones or scam. This is somewhat a very minor thing to me now though, with the one-purchase-per-week rule active. I made exceptions last christmas sales and bought a few titles (and hearthstone packs w00t!), but since that, havent bought any game for 2016 yet.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 01-11-2016 at 03:04 AM.
01-11-2016, 03:14 AM
$29.99. Don't remember which, though. But I've bough many on $19.99 range.
01-11-2016, 04:00 AM
Highest amount paid on iOS? Probably the Guitar Hero Live unlock at $50.

Refunds? Absolutely, but not as it is on iOS. On Google Play you have a window of about 2 hours (I think), to cancel any purchase you made. I take a lot of blind leaps on iOS and have no problem deleting shit I don't care for (regardless of price), but if a system like Google's was implemented, man would I save a ton of money.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
01-11-2016, 10:31 PM
My favorite premium titles were MHFU, Bioshock, FF 7, Oceanhorn, République, Dead Space, Walking Dead (whole season)... All were great gaming experiences for the most part... Funny how all except Oceanhorn are broken by iOS 9! LOL! The more you pay, the more beat you feel when it's no longer playable.
01-12-2016, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demod1 View Post
My favorite premium titles were MHFU, Bioshock, FF 7, Oceanhorn, République, Dead Space, Walking Dead (whole season)... All were great gaming experiences for the most part... Funny how all except Oceanhorn are broken by iOS 9! LOL! The more you pay, the more beat you feel when it's no longer playable.
Wait... Republique is broken by iOS9?

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword