★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Broceliande, Celtic open world RPG where you dont play as an human

01-11-2016, 04:58 AM
Broceliande: Wolf Sentinel, open world RPG in Celtic lore

Hello, for the last two months i have been worked on this game on my free time.

You are playing as a pup wolf, each five level you are able to upgrade into a more advance wolf, each of them have its own stats and own skill, each wolf archetype will have its own strength, from a very resistant Alpha wolf to a Wise Spiritual wolf that could invoke lesser wolf spirits to fight for him.

few things about the game
-it use a backend server for most of the logic, xp, upgrades, matchmaking achievements, chat between Pack member.
-I have been running the game at 50 ~60 fps on my ipad mini retina with less vegetation density.
-it will not have shadows as its too costy, i prefer long distance view and smooth fps.
- it can be played with only one finger, the camera will auto align into the player direction and it have an auto attack & targeting system

What i have currently done:

-Stats, xp, skill, ability system
-combat system based on everquest and daoc
-Den system where you can upgrade your Runes, Guardians, Stones which protect you when you are in their range.
-Clan system (pack) currently Create/join/leave/search function
-pvp with other players, track system in the surrounding, if success you will be able to attack other players den and gain pvp points.
- using a Procedural library for generating terrains with zone of interest and random events depending on time of day & meteo
-procedural weather events

What i have left to do & finish:
-transition between area, right now each areas is 2 x 2 klm terrain that can be traveled freely. need to add blocking object with logic like do xx quests first or have more than xxx pvp points
-quest system
-AI system
-Active skills
-polish the pvp system: if you die while attacking an other player den or the den is no destroyed within 10 minutes, he will get pvp points.
-make the matchmaking more advanced, right now its per player, i would like to do it per pack too

Last edited by pixelcry; 10-09-2016 at 08:10 PM.
01-11-2016, 05:21 AM
Great idea, I'll follow the game's progress as it look very interesting.

01-11-2016, 05:56 AM
Sounds interesting, will follow your progress too. Would prefer if there was an offline singleplayer mode as well; not too fond of MP/PvP.
01-11-2016, 06:05 AM
Very impressive! Do you have any idea of when you think you might finish your game and are you planning on releasing this as f2p or premium?
01-11-2016, 06:09 AM
there is actually no "real time" multiplayer, it use very low bandwich when you receive xp or kill an enemy for example it will send the data to a rest server ( which is close to what clash of clan do) so you will not feel any lag. if you lost connection for 3 minutes, the requests are buffered and will be sent when you regain connectivity so you might not level up until you exit a tunnel.

if there is more people that feel its better to keep it without server logic, i can disable that and set the logic to be executed on the device instead. but will loose all the social interaction
01-11-2016, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post
Sounds interesting, will follow your progress too. Would prefer if there was an offline singleplayer mode as well; not too fond of MP/PvP.
I totally agree. I would also prefer playing offline.
01-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
Very impressive! Do you have any idea of when you think you might finish your game and are you planning on releasing this as f2p or premium?
as i have only have 2 ~ 3 hours per day to work on this project because of my job i would say maybe 3 to 6 month depending on how much content i can produce alone.

i have for a long time thought about how it would be and i have decided to not do equipable objects like armor, because they are just wolves, and no real time multiplayer because it very restricted on mobile.

I am still uncertain now if its a good idea to keep the async pvp like clash of clan or focus on questing, narrative story and player progression. getting rid of the server backend stuff would save lot of time because its very complex to integrate and test

for the price i was thinking to make it free but you can earn some Tracking points by watching ads video, tracking points are used to find other player nest around your position using server matchmaking

Last edited by pixelcry; 01-11-2016 at 07:29 AM.
01-11-2016, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcry View Post
as i have only have 2 ~ 3 hours per day to work on this project because of my job i would say maybe 3 to 6 month depending on how much content i can produce alone.

i have for a long time thought about how it would be and i have decided to not do equipable objects like armor, because they are just wolves, and no real time multiplayer because it very restricted on mobile.

I am still uncertain now if its a good idea to keep the async pvp like clash of clan or focus on questing, narrative story and player progression. getting rid of the server backend stuff would save lot of time because its very complex to integrate and test

for the price i was thinking to make it free but you can earn some Tracking points by watching ads video, tracking points are used to find other player nest around your position using server matchmaking
If you go for a f2p game please add a "pay for premium) IAP so that we can play it like a premium.
01-11-2016, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djstout View Post
If you go for a f2p game please add a "pay for premium) IAP so that we can play it like a premium.
Yes please!
01-12-2016, 07:12 AM
I'll take "questing, story, and progression" over anything multiplayer - and especially PvP - any day.
Not to mention that I like stories told from a non-human protagonist's point of view sometimes, makes for interesting reading.
Should you need more inspiration, I have a - moderately good, not great - book or two from a series where wolves are the main characters, IIRC. Can dig it up if someone's interested.

And you don't need equipment for wolves, fully agree (of course I have a book doing exactly that, and it's pretty good ).
Just developing your talents further can make for a great story: will you be an Alpha packleader? A solitary hunter? A wolf good at tracking prey and keeping your pack well-fed? Etc...

And seconding the premium option for offline/single play. For online/PvP not so much; you need to pay your bills after all, and f2p is where the money is.