★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Tired of Freemium Games

01-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Tired of Freemium Games

I've decided never to bother with any freemium title ever again. Even if I like the look of the game, I would rather pay the normal games console price for a good game and just have a few good titles than endless crappy games that basically are just on-line cash machines. If they want people to try it for free then buy, just use a 1 time IAP to unlock the full game. If the freemium model continues to gain ground like it has been then I think I'll be going back to PC only or maybe get a Microsoft Surface for mobile gaming.
01-14-2016, 02:55 PM
It's shame as freemium games are spoling mobile gaming. I used to play a lot games on iOS devices. However over the past 18 months most games seems to be freemium money pits. I've actually just purchased a high spec gaming laptop and started playing PC games again.

01-17-2016, 10:22 PM
this is what I don't get...why aren't indie devs using kickstarter to help fund the games we want and not resort to freemium? I haven't purchased a game in over a year due to this. I love the App Store because it introduced me to games made by amazing indie devs. I'm probably going to get backlash for this, but we really should be supporting companies like Nintendo (yes they are not perfect, but they may be the last company to hold out when it comes to traditional gaming)

Last edited by MrArcade; 01-17-2016 at 10:29 PM.
01-18-2016, 01:18 AM
Never played and will never support freemium P2W games with unfair and greedy monetization
01-18-2016, 01:20 AM
I'm not sure how we can look to Nintendo as the last hold-out. They've got F2P games as bad as any on mobile (Pokemon Shuffle/Rumble/Picross, Nintendo Badge Arcade), they've got games with DLC that adds up to higher than the cost of the initial game (Fire Emblem: Awakening, Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U), and they're neck-deep in that whole "buy a toy for additional content" mess that Skylanders started. Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo, and their commitment to quality comes through even in their worst games, but let's not pretend that (a) their hands are clean right now and (b) said hands aren't going to get even dirtier as time goes on.

I'm honestly hard-pressed to think of a single major console publisher that isn't at least experimenting with F2P games. And that makes sense, as most of them are public companies with a responsibility to their shareholders to make as much money as they can, and in 2016, that means having at least *some* F2P in your portfolio.
01-18-2016, 01:56 AM
To be completely honest, I think that the F2P model for mobile games is the equivalent to The Boss' Will of the MGS franchise, in paper and in the right hands, it's the ideal monetization scheme for 90% of mobile games, however it's usually misunderstood and we get games with serious pay to win elements and LOTS of timers, and I personally don't think that it's a bad idea, as I said, it's the ideal monetization model, it's flexible enough to allow players to pay hundreds or nothing if they want and can handle to, but again it comes to the developers (or The Patriots and Big Boss in the case of MGS) missing the point and creating money sinks.
Personally I think that the best and fairest F2P game I've played in a while is Warframe, I've played around 90 hours and have spent only 10 dollars on it (which were used to unlock slots and speed up stuff, not buying OP gear) and as far as I can see, you can't really buy power since all weapons and frames need a lot of practice to reach their full potential, not 20 dollars for a buff.
And also, quoting a little bit madreviewer, we as consumers brought to life the freemium monetization with our tendencies to spend hundreds on Candy Crush and refusing to pay 3 dollars for a more straightforward experience.

So yes, TL;DR F2P would be great for both devs and players, if done right, thing that rarely happens :/

Last edited by TheOutlander; 01-18-2016 at 02:00 AM.
01-18-2016, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Musgrave View Post
I'm not sure how we can look to Nintendo as the last hold-out. They've got F2P games as bad as any on mobile (Pokemon Shuffle/Rumble/Picross, Nintendo Badge Arcade), they've got games with DLC that adds up to higher than the cost of the initial game (Fire Emblem: Awakening, Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U), and they're neck-deep in that whole "buy a toy for additional content" mess that Skylanders started. Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo, and their commitment to quality comes through even in their worst games, but let's not pretend that (a) their hands are clean right now and (b) said hands aren't going to get even dirtier as time goes on.

I'm honestly hard-pressed to think of a single major console publisher that isn't at least experimenting with F2P games. And that makes sense, as most of them are public companies with a responsibility to their shareholders to make as much money as they can, and in 2016, that means having at least *some* F2P in your portfolio.
You've pointed out excellent examples of Nintendo's F2P offerings and I agree with you as I stated they are not perfect, but you have to agree they will never abandon their premium offerings. My main point in this thread is why arent smaller developers using crowdfunding to bring us premium games and not worry about IAP or ads.

Speaking of ads, i recently read Apple is shuttting down its iAd framework. Do app devs rely on iAd if they put ads in games or are there alternatives?

Last edited by MrArcade; 01-18-2016 at 02:07 AM.
01-18-2016, 02:11 AM
On the iAds thing, there are other networks, but it's definitely going to shake things up a little for some devs.

As for why we don't see more crowdfunded projects for mobile (there are some, like Republique, Saturday Morning RPG, Warlock Of Firetop Mountain, Banner Saga, etc), I think it comes down to two things. First, Apple won't let publishers generate mass amounts of codes, so they are unable to offer the game as a backer reward for iOS users. Second, I suspect there isn't enough money in it. Kickstarting PC and console stuff works because there is a huge audience willing to pay up-front money for a game, going so far as to pre-order (basically giving a store an interest-free loan) months or years in advance. Only a small number of them are willing to kick towards a KS, but since the group is so large, it makes sense that grabbing a small percentage is enough to get a project off the ground. Mobile's ground is less fertile since the vast majority of the userbase treats games like bags of chips. They're not going to kick in on anything, and those of us who would are a small enough number that it's probably not feasible without also promising towards non-mobile platforms.
01-18-2016, 02:36 AM
Thank you for providing that explanation. So I see Venture Kid doing very well on the charts priced at 99. Would it have been terrible to price it higher as I read the glowing reviews? A game like that on PSN/XBL/eShop would be priced at the very least $4.99 or higher. Is the dev expecting people to buy the IAP so that the game is profitable?
01-18-2016, 09:39 AM
About Freemium, i think it really depends on the type of game. If you're looking for a MMO, freemium is rather ok (especially versus subscription). If you want a solo game, you'ld prefer a Premium game, with a real story. IMO

--Working is about passion & fun--