★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Official Star Trek Timelines Free to Play Discussion Thread

01-14-2016, 01:58 PM
#1
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 53
The Official Star Trek Timelines Free to Play Discussion Thread

Gutted as a huge fan of this franchise... Devastatingly bad. Uninstalled, deleted and spat on in disgust. Pay to win gone crazy and abysmal gameplay (if you can call it that)

1 star is too generous. Avoid
01-14-2016, 04:11 PM
#2
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 275
Shattered...everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevzat666 View Post
Gutted as a huge fan of this franchise... Devastatingly bad. Uninstalled, deleted and spat on in disgust. Pay to win gone crazy and abysmal gameplay (if you can call it that)

1 star is too generous. Avoid
I couldn't agree with you more, like I stated in the TA announcement:


Quote:
In April 2014, I, as well many other people had anticipated that this would be a truly new Star Trek masterpiece to rule them all. After watching the promotional video back then, we were pumped up for this game. Maybe we avid fans would finally be able to play a plausible large-scale Star Trek game for mobile!

Now, over a year later, the game gets released...I JUST downloaded and played it today. I couldn't be more disappointed. The hopes to explore strange new worlds and control our our destinies using our own ingenuity and skill~...all crushed to shit with their modern business model. OMG toucharcade, I haven't been this pissed in a while! I deleted this game after 20 minutes trying to pull myself together touch by touch, just hoping that things would improve as I progressed through the game. The only notable things were the storyline and the psychedelic map; everything else has "MODERN BUSINESS MODEL" written all over it. Is this what they were working on all this time?! 65MB downloaded; 400+MB downloaded server data...online-only typical card battler schematic, only everything looks like it's still in Beta! Gameplay-wise, well let's just say some old Sega Genesis Star Trek game could MOP THE FLOOR with this garbage! Hell, I'm starting to think that even E.T. (Atari) had more substance than this game!

....my rant is complete; this is a mobile game, and its development was limited to that of mobile gaming platforms and current standards. My standards are simply too high for mobile gaming coupled with the fact that EVERYTHING I hoped for in this game simply got Beam'd away like noone's business. Dear iPad Air 2, is your graphics processor and RAM not enough to make a full-fledged Star Trek game?

"I only do what I'm told no matter how garbage the instructions are."
-iPad Air 2

In closing, Disruptor Beam, your game is ugly as hell, and so doth it run as such. I expect thine forthcoming updates to this netherchild of an app, so it is called, to bring about the truth of anti-aliasing. I expect thine updates to involve less comprehension with more suspension. I expect thine updates to fertilize the seed of your pockets whilst evermore drudgingly slapping true fans directly in the face. And notwithstanding, your ever recursive examples of how games should NOT be.

"Never look a gift horse in the mouth", you say? Well, a FREE TO DOWNLOAD game, the horse if you will, isn't always guaranteed to not have a mouth full of shit...the point being, I should have saw (smelled) this coming, but subconsciously hoped for the best because I was stupid to think that Star Trek Timelines would be a good game!

01-14-2016, 04:19 PM
#3
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,432
I open my iPhone, hey look I got a notification,

"Captain, your chronitons have regenerated"

Annnnd uninstalled. Really a shame too. I could have gotten into this game and I would have spent some money. But you want to put in an energy system then you get uninstalled and no money whatsoever.

Billy
01-14-2016, 08:14 PM
#4
I'm not amazed that there are a bunch of people crying about free to play. It's called patience. You don't have to pay anything. It's really not bad. Not great but not bad. They will improve it because they're committed to the game like Game of Thrones. It's really stupid to delete something because there is energy. If you have a life, your going to put down a game once and a while. So play and put it down. It will not hurt you. But it's really not bad. Too bad you really never gave it a chance.
01-14-2016, 09:08 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,432
I give every game a chance. This game had its chance and failed badly. I played the game for about an hour.

This site is here to discuss games. It's not here to call other people out and call them stupid or say they are crying. We shouldn't demean other people. How about you stick to the merits of the game.

Energy based timer systems do nothing but gouge players out of money or force them not to play. I want to pay for a game and play it however I like to play. If a developer wants to use an energy timer they could atleast put in a one time purchase for players like myself and leave the energy system in for players like yourself. They can easily make everyone happy and make money in the process. Since they didn't it is not worth my time to waste on it. The practice must be stopped. It's not about free to play. Free to play can be done right. I purchase IAP all the time. It's just done very badly in this game.

Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver_lions View Post
I'm not amazed that there are a bunch of people crying about free to play. It's called patience. You don't have to pay anything. It's really not bad. Not great but not bad. They will improve it because they're committed to the game like Game of Thrones. It's really stupid to delete something because there is energy. If you have a life, your going to put down a game once and a while. So play and put it down. It will not hurt you. But it's really not bad. Too bad you really never gave it a chance.
01-14-2016, 09:51 PM
#6
When people come here and bemoan immediately about free to play or delete it just because their is a timer it's hard to take their comments about the game seriously because they only played for five minutes to an hour. I was calling anyone stupid, I merely said its stupid to come here and get upset about it when Disruptor Beam, who really works hard to work with their customers to create a quality game (see Game of Thrones), isn't even given the chance. Truthfully you can play this game for however you want. Think about it. You said you'd played for a while and then saw the notification. You deleted it specifically because of a timer. Until you elaborated your reasoning for not liking the game was because it took a notification for you to realize their was timer. Then as you said you deleted it.

Note that in your reply to me. You mentioned nothing about gameplay. The only complaint you had was the timer, again. So you based your entire experience of the game on timers... Which you even said you could have gotten in to the game. They were the only thing stopping you.

If you want to call me out on supposedly demeaning people and not sticking to the merits of the game make sure that you do as well. And there's a lot more to the game than timers...

Last edited by beaver_lions; 01-14-2016 at 10:05 PM.
01-15-2016, 01:58 AM
#7
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 53
The game is garbage.
01-15-2016, 02:11 AM
#8
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevzat666 View Post
The game is garbage.
Are you saying the game is garbage, with the game should be towed away AS garbage?
01-15-2016, 06:38 AM
#9
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewPM View Post
Are you saying the game is garbage, or the game should be towed away AS garbage?
Both, and then some!
01-15-2016, 01:37 PM
#10
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 72
This game is a love letter to everything an opportunistic developer wishes F2P could be. They've rolled out every trope. Timers everywhere, 'stamina', gatcha (characters, equipment, ship parts), speed it up (with ludicrous costs in premium currency and applied to drop-dead boring game mechanics (is skinning it with a love letter to Star Trek enough to hide it?) which serve no thematic role beyond monitization), and a VIP system which adds a new facet to every aspect of monitization (governs amount of refreshes that can be done, increases rewards). To say nothing for the ludicrous equipment system. It's some kind of gearception where in items are needed to level and advance characters but those items may need to be made of items made of items: all breaking down into an obnoxious grind as early as chapter two, quickly distracting from the fun you originally experience in the in-game characterization of Q.

Edit: Also, LOL at the 'buy the Enterprise'* $25 limited time IAP it tosses at you shortly after you start—a powerful but ultimately mid tier at best ship which will trivialize earlier ship combat events but do little to speed progress as alongside ship battles you must also clear away missions which focus on characters (rare ones will take a lot of time to get or premium currency).

*Also comes with some VIP points and almost enough premium currency to speed up a single multi-hour timer (perhaps one of the crappiest uses to which premium currency might be applied in this game).

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoamagana View Post
Just curious what phones everyone is using to play this? I'm using an iPhone 6 and this game freezes up every few minutes requiring me to close it and relaunch. It always seems to freeze during the character mission parts. Anyone else have the same issue. I can't play for more than 2-3 min at a time before it freezes again. I would give it a better rating but being that it's pretty much unplayable right now for me I'm keeping it at 1 star until it gets fixed.
I'm on an iPhone 6 and it never locks up. Or at least hasn't. That said, it does crash rather frequently (not on a predictable timeline—typically during network connections).

Last edited by James; 01-15-2016 at 01:46 PM.