★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Pitch Detection

10-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Pitch Detection

Hi guys,

I wanna build an app that works by detecting the musical note a person makes with his/her voice. Basically a "How well do you sing?" kinda thing.
I have no idea if the iPhone OS includes an API for that, but I'm guessing it doesn't. Do you know of any open source code that I could use for that purpose?

Thanks!

Game Designer/Programmer at JOYGLITCH
10-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Send a message via AIM to Firestar
Have a look at Ultrastar's engine (Singstar Clone). Maybe you could grab some code off that.

10-03-2009, 03:39 PM
oh I thought the thread was "Pinch detection" and was like huh? for a minute
10-03-2009, 04:14 PM
@Firestar Will do.

@wootbean If I end up creating a thread like that, you have full permission to verbally kick my ass.

Any further help will be welcome.
Thanks!

Game Designer/Programmer at JOYGLITCH
10-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by henr1kk View Post
Any further help will be welcome.
Thanks!
And check this sources, may be you find what you search here.

This is another free clone
10-15-2009, 03:57 AM
I can't seem to dig up any iPhone specific libs but what you're probably looking for here is a fast fourier transform library. A FFT will let you take audio samples and transform them from time-domain into frequency-domain, and then finding the overall pitch is basically just sorting the values to find the dominant frequencies.

There are a few open source libraries out there in C and C++, and it would likely just be a matter of porting the code to the iPhone. You may also be able to find an Audio Unit that could be made to work. Performance may be an issue, though, so you'll want to be sure to find a reasonably efficient one.

-- DaVoid Digital --
Check out AstroSerf - Update now available!
>> For more information, mosey on over to AstroSerf.com
>> Follow AstroSerfGame on Twitter for the latest news!

Last edited by dawvee; 10-15-2009 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
09-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Pitch detection

Measuring pitch robustly is a lot harder than just looking into the FFT. Our company has 12 years of music analysis research background and has most likely the best available solution for the problem.

We are thinking of putting it out as a Cocoa touch library.
Drop us a mail at contact@wavesum.net if you are intersested of licensing. Would also be benefitial to know what would be an appropriate price point for you.

Yours,
Teemu Karjalainen
Managing Director
Wavesum Oy
09-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teekarja View Post
Measuring pitch robustly is a lot harder than just looking into the FFT. Our company has 12 years of music analysis research background and has most likely the best available solution for the problem.

We are thinking of putting it out as a Cocoa touch library.
Drop us a mail at contact@wavesum.net if you are intersested of licensing. Would also be benefitial to know what would be an appropriate price point for you.

Yours,
Teemu Karjalainen
Managing Director
Wavesum Oy
My hobby is embedded speech synthesis and speech analysis (see http://www.speechchips.com) so I'm aware of just how involved meaningful pitch detection is. Having a cocoa touch library would be helpful.

As far as licensing goes, perhaps you could consider a no cost/small fee developer license that would allow people to evaluate and develop with the library. Once the app is ready for the appStore, the develop would then need to pay a license fee based on the size of the company. Small developers with revenue under $100k might have to pay $100-$200 while larger, established companies would have a higher license fee ($1000-$5000).

I realize that your library represents a lot of work and it could be possible to license it for $10k for each use but that would leave out all but the largest developers. The approach above would be useful to you to get it out on the app store and gain recognition which could lead to other business relationships.

Thanks.