★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Peter Kossits
  • Genre: Sports
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 81.4 MB
  • Version: 1.9.1
  • Price: $5.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Official app of the board game by Mike Fitzgerald and Eagle-Gryphon Games.

American baseball was on its last legs as a spectator sport. Football had become the predominant national pastime that is until the year 2032, the year baseball decided to revolutionize the game and regain the throne!

Baseball Highlights: 2045 is like watching TV highlights of baseball games, with the gameplay being full of theme and without bogging down. In this quick and interactive game, players build their teams as they play, combining both front-office strategy and baseball tactics.

Features:
60 Unique Free Agents and four 15-man starting teams
Solitaire or 2-Player Hot Seat.
Two solitaire modes supported - the challenging standard solo mode from the board game with 5 difficulty levels OR play a 2-Player style game against the CPU Stengel AI
Interactive Spring Training tutorials to get you playing quickly
Integrated rulebook
Beautiful artwork from the original game
Autosave and Resume Last Game
01-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Hmmm when did this sneak out?

01-25-2016, 08:04 PM
Just passed the review after rejection.

Mind you, solitary mode only fttb. AI and universal support promised.

Buying...

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
01-25-2016, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post

Buying...
Interested in your imps as always :-)
01-26-2016, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzinn View Post
Interested in your imps as always :-)
Pressure, pressure, pressure

Okay, I am still running the step-by-step tutorial.(Great to hear right?) So bear with me as I am a total noob when it comes to the baseball game itself and to the physcial version of which the app is ported from.

I can qutoe from BGG that the port features the exact artwork of the physical card game and the UI is rather, primitve as I am told.

More update later...

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
01-26-2016, 05:22 AM
iPad only that sucks
I've been reading about this game for a couple months and never saw anything about iPad only. Oh well I probably have too many games right now anyway.
01-26-2016, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post

Buying...
When the promises are fur filled I will buy.
01-26-2016, 10:15 AM
I gave it a try last night. I was looking forward to it, as I'm a tabletop fan and am always looking for decent app versions of good games (though I've not tried this game).

I can confirm the UI is somewhat simple, though the artwork is direct from the original game. There is solo mode built in, and word from the dev is that both true AI and universal support coming.

I'm having a tough time winning, but that is less about the app and more about the game itself. I went through the first part of the tutorial only, which may account for my lack of initial success.

Last edited by clutch99; 01-26-2016 at 10:26 AM.
01-26-2016, 10:37 AM
Big thumbs up from a dude who has no interest in ever watching or playing real baseball!

Once you have gone through the basic tutorial you can easily start playing, but if you really want to dig in deeper still there are the additional turtorials and full game manual.

While solo play has no actual AI, it is still fairly enjoyable. You start off with a fairly pathetic team that you'll slowly build up over the course of the series but the AI has a full roster of free agents that likely far outclass you. The big equalizer being that only YOU get to carefully plot the best guy to field to counter whatever shennanigans the AI blindly throws at you (the AI just plays the top card of its deck each turn, there is no decision process).

Each turn of the game consists of you and your opponent playing single guys from your roster that will either help you score a run or thwart your opponent from doing so (sometimes both). The game also has a slight hint of rock-paper-scissors as each player is either a natural, cyborg, or robot, and some of the card effects you can play are specifically targetted vs. one of these types of players. Like if one of your naturals has the ability "quick-eye" his lowly single becomes a homerun if the last guy your opponent played was a cyborg.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews