★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Demon's Rise - Strategic RPG

01-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Demon's Rise - Strategic RPG

Hi everyone,

Working on the port of Demon's Rise to Mac. It will feature the same content as the upcoming 2.0 update with DLC as well as upgraded graphics options as well as full keyboard controls. Keyboard controls are done already and there are some minor tweaks to do. Graphics options will be a little bit of work but I doubt will take long. No firm release date at the moment but should be in Q1 of 2016.

Here are some pics of work in progress:

iPhone Screen 4 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

iPhone Screen 1 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

iPhone Screen 2 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

iPhone Screen 5 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

For those not familiar with the iOS game, it is a turn-based, tactical RPG similar to XCOM but with a fantasy setting. There are the usual RPG aspects like character progression, storyline, equipment and loot. However, there are also tactical elements like using cover, morale, line of sight, fog of war, and terrain benefits.

There are 28 playable character classes to choose from and players build a party of 6 and can add 1 of 3 available mercenaries. There is a main quest and 50 optional side missions. Game completion would probably take around 30 to 40 hours to complete.

Touch Arcade reviewed the iOS version and rated it 4 out of 5 stars. Since that version was released, we've released a huge amount of updates and patches.
01-26-2016, 09:15 PM

01-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catacomber View Post
I forgot to ask what is the DLC?
The Mac version will have all the new levels and stuff that are currently being added to the v2.0 of the IOS version from the beginning. So right now the iOS version is getting an update that adds 6 new quest levels, 10 new patrol levels, a temple, a tavern, 4 new playable characters (Ogre character and 3 new mercenaries) and around a dozen new enemies. All of that will be part of the OS X version from the beginning. The v2.0 update is sitting with Apple right now so hopefully will hit iOS sometime in the next 2 weeks.

The OS X version will also feature some new bells and whistles from a graphics perspective and will also feature better quality audio. The limitations that are present in the iOS hardware aren't there fore most Mac's so I'll be amping up the graphics a fair bit. These will be options though that can be turned off in the options menu for those running older Macs.
01-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Added a small graphical tweak to the Mac OS X version ... now when an enemy or hero dies, their corpse is left visible on the battlefield along with a nice blood splatter. I had this disabled in the iOS version for performance.
01-28-2016, 03:52 AM
I think from reading Steam posts, Steam players like this--dead enemy corpses. I imagine Mac users do too. I didn't miss it on ios because I'm not used to it from ios games I've played.

I really liked the music from your ios version. Sometimes I just play the game to hear the music. : ) I also like that you gave in your Credits section, credit to all those whose assets you used. That's rare to see and it was very nice.

I feel lucky to have a new Mac and can't wait for all the bells and whistles. : )

If anyone hasn't played the ios version of your game, I suggest they do. It's really beautifully done.

Last edited by Catacomber; 01-28-2016 at 03:59 AM.
01-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I may actually bring the persistent corpse option to the iOS version in the next update. It's not a huge impact on performance since the character models are well optimized already. I'll probably just put it as a toggle in the options screen. I like it a lot myself.

Regarding the credits, I actually need to update them to include those of new asset creators that I've used in the latest patch / update. I'll do that in the next patch (v2.1).

Things are going well on the Mac OS X version ... much better than I expected, to be honest. I have a working version now that runs very nicely on my Macbook Air that I bought last year. Keyboard controls look good and I've updated the GUI to remove some of the unnecessary on-screen buttons.

I am looking at various image effects and post-processing effects that I can use for the OS X version. The ones on iOS are very limited due to performance concerns but I have a lot more freedom with the OS X / PC version.
01-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Things are going well on adding new graphics and such. Here's a picture of the work in progress. This shows much higher quality shadows in the OSX version as well as much better bloom, lens flares, lens dust and some other cool effects.

Working on improving the audio to include Stereo sound as well as some other things too.

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 9.06.17 AM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr
02-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Here's another progress shot of the OS X port. Things are going well though I'm running into some technical issues with the Mouse-based GUI and the new bloom / lens flare / lens dirt effect. Still making very good progress.

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 8.14.07 AM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

The OS X version has seriously amped up graphics options, as you can see.
08-22-2016, 05:10 AM
I reminds me on Diablo which I loved.