★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Anyone tried Skybound?

12-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Anyone tried Skybound?

Has anyone tried Skybound ($2.99)? It looks like a very polished and unique game. There's a video on their site.

You basically draw clouds that a ball (or something) bounces off as it rises higher and higher. The clouds disappear pretty fast, and you can angle them to direct the ball to objects like powerups, coins, etc., some of which they bounce off of and interact with. The game has a very nice painterly look.

Anyone pick it up?

Oy! What are you playing at!

Current favs: The Incident, Chopper 2, Doodle God, Carcassonne
Classics: iFighter, Canabalt, Meteor Blitz, Zombieville USA, Minigore
12-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosui View Post
Has anyone tried Skybound ($2.99)? It looks like a very polished and unique game. There's a video on their site.

You basically draw clouds that a ball (or something) bounces off as it rises higher and higher. The clouds disappear pretty fast, and you can angle them to direct the ball to objects like powerups, coins, etc., some of which they bounce off of and interact with. The game has a very nice painterly look.

Anyone pick it up?
Yeah I ended up getting it and I'm loving it.

The clouds you draw can only be of a certain length so I've died a few times just getting used the the length.

I'm currently playing in Boss Mode and enjoying it immensely. Anyone remember the Cloud/Eyeball boss from Kirby?? Yeah, You fight different variations of that. The credits also appear in the side bars.

2.99 seems like a lot but honestly I've payed a lot more for a lot less quality. Skybound will definitely stay on my iphone as a pick up and play game.

One Note: You can not pause the game and stay in the game. Exiting to the home screen pauses your game and you can return to that point.

Hope that helps!

12-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Awesome, V!

I think I'm gonna pick this up soon. I'm always looking for a good pickup game that has some real distinctiveness to it.

Happy Holidays!

Oy! What are you playing at!

Current favs: The Incident, Chopper 2, Doodle God, Carcassonne
Classics: iFighter, Canabalt, Meteor Blitz, Zombieville USA, Minigore
12-23-2008, 12:10 PM
This game is a complete rip of a minigame in WarioWare Touched on the Nintendo DS called 'Galaxy Bounce'... in that game, you draw lines to bounce a ball from earth, up and out into space, all the while trying to aviod stars and other obsticles that get in your way on the way up.
12-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.D! View Post
This game is a complete rip of a minigame in WarioWare Touched on the Nintendo DS called 'Galaxy Bounce'... in that game, you draw lines to bounce a ball from earth, up and out into space, all the while trying to aviod stars and other obsticles that get in your way on the way up.
You're right cause before WarioWare Touched came out in late '04 that kind of game never existed before...

Except for all those Draw Bounce games from the early 80's
12-23-2008, 12:38 PM
too expensive for a game like this.

and music from the vid is a bit offputting too. it wasn't bad but got a bit annoying.
12-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrisguitar View Post
too expensive for a game like this.

and music from the vid is a bit offputting too. it wasn't bad but got a bit annoying.
There is no ingame music just sfx. The music you heard was just something they played for the video.
12-24-2008, 08:31 PM
I can pause it by using the "sleep" button on my iPod Touch. Is it different on an iPhone?

It also pauses if I double tap the home-button to get the iPod-music thing up.

I had some problems with it crashing when synching online scores, but now it has worked without crashing the whole day. Maybe they fixed something, I dunno.

I get really annoyed when I die, but I keep coming back to it, cause I know a higher score is within reach. quite addictive, I reccomend it!
12-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispsInnOut View Post
I can pause it by using the "sleep" button on my iPod Touch. Is it different on an iPhone?

It also pauses if I double tap the home-button to get the iPod-music thing up.

I had some problems with it crashing when synching online scores, but now it has worked without crashing the whole day. Maybe they fixed something, I dunno.

I get really annoyed when I die, but I keep coming back to it, cause I know a higher score is within reach. quite addictive, I reccomend it!
Thanks for the quick review, hehe

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
12-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by istopmotion View Post
Thanks for the quick review, hehe
Hehe, I was supposed to reply to someone further up about not being able to pause the game, but I pressed something wrong q/reply isn't quote-reply I found out!