★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

If I buy a digital game , don't I have the right to own it

02-01-2016, 01:38 PM
If I buy a digital game , don't I have the right to own it

What I mean by this is if I buy a digital game , let's say an App Store game, shouldn't I have the right to my copy of the game?
Let's say I buy a game for $3.99 then I should own a digital copy and when I'm through playing this game I should able to sell some sort of code that corresponds with my copy I bought and resell to someone else for let's say $2.99 and have that money back in my account and it deletes from my account.
I know that would take away from the developer which is the worst thing but I spent my money on it I should be untitled to having my copy and do so with how I want.
I mean I can buy a physical copy and resell.

This could set up an entirely new way of gaming and revolutionize the way we game altogether.
02-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Whelp, I'm sure that's covered in your agreements with Apple.

But:

1) You have an IPA file you can sell
2) You have an iTunes account you could sell

IMHO, this is something you get to live with by using the digital only / App Store model. Same thing would go for those movies and albums and books you downloaded, this is not unique to apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

02-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Well, 1) wont work, cuz it will ask you for the password of the account it was bought with.
02-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekku View Post
Well, 1) wont work, cuz it will ask you for the password of the account it was bought with.
Indeed.

It still answers, "shouldn't I have the right to my copy of the game?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
02-01-2016, 02:58 PM
Digital rights have become their own set of laws that have huge presence in litigation. Stay tuned over years and this might get answered. Right now the answer is "No, you don't". Because you didnt actually purchase it, more like you are renting it. so, you dont any have rights to the digital copy except to use it in accordance with the EULA.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
02-01-2016, 03:28 PM
It doesn't bother me too much. iOS games are massively cheaper than just about any other platform and I'm sure that at least part of that is the lack of a second hand market.

Digital comics on the other hand are not much cheaper than physical ones - and even on sale they aren't as cheap as I typically spend for second hand ones so for them the lack of resalability is a big deal breaker for me.
02-01-2016, 04:23 PM
I agree and understand why we don't have it already guys.
I'm just saying it would be nice to see it one day.
I mean you can gift someone a code for a game so why not be able to buy an AppStore game and once your done then the game generates only one gift code to send to someone and it deletes from your account and that gift code can only be redeemed once .
I don't know just a thought
02-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Not according to the agreement you signed when you created an iTunes account. What did you think was in that contract you pretended to read? :P

That agreement stipulates that you're purchasing a license to use the piece of software you're paying for. You aren't purchasing an object, you have zero rights to the content inside the piece of media you've purchased a license to.

Similarly, if you purchase a movie on iTunes, you don't have the right to burn a bunch of DVDs of that movie and sell them on a street corner.

You also don't have the right to transfer or sell your iTunes account. All of this was in the contract you agreed to, and continue to agree to every time you update iTunes.

AfterPad.com - MFi Gaming News | Game List | Controllers | Twitter
02-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Digital is not equal to a hard copy- what you are selling is not your copy , but a copy of your game-- digital games can't be resold and should not
Why?
Well there is no need to recycle a game which has a 0$ cost of being reproduce
02-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madreviewer View Post
Digital is not equal to a hard copy- what you are selling is not your copy , but a copy of your game-- digital games can't be resold and should not
Why?
Well there is no need to recycle a game which has a 0$ cost of being reproduce
In not sure your argument. We buy digital games and in your words costs nothing to produce yet we buy them so why couldn't I resell "my copy" I purchased if someone is willing to buy for a price .