★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Does 'The Greedy Cave' Look Too Much Like 'Don't Starve'?

02-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Does 'The Greedy Cave' Look Too Much Like 'Don't Starve'?

Art style looks dangerously close to Don't Starve.
02-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Art style looks dangerously close to Don't Starve.
That was my first thought.

02-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Meh, now they're stealing the graphics from Don't Starve, pff not for me.
Very innovative! I'm out, Copy that...
02-02-2016, 01:36 PM
If you really want to get technical, could you say don't starve stole it's art style from Tim burton?? It's all similar yeah, but in a game store with hundreds of thousands of games certain themes and styles will be replicated. I'm jumping in for .99 and giving it a fair chance.
02-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sash-O View Post
Meh, now they're stealing the graphics from Don't Starve, pff not for me.
Very innovative! I'm out, Copy that...
I'm 110% sure that Don't Starve didn't invent that style. So keep that in mind next time.
02-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabianb View Post
I'm 110% sure that Don't Starve didn't invent that style. So keep that in mind next time.
Wait, so are you saying this is just a coincidence or that the super distinctive art style of Don't Starve has been done a bunch of times before. If it's the latter, can you provide any examples, as that's my main hesitation right now with regards to posting anything about this game.
02-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durduhdur View Post
If you really want to get technical, could you say don't starve stole it's art style from Tim burton?? It's all similar yeah, but in a game store with hundreds of thousands of games certain themes and styles will be replicated. I'm jumping in for .99 and giving it a fair chance.
Maybe DS was inspired by Tim Burton, but it's obvious that these devs from China copied from DS.
Sure, there are many copycats on the store, but not for me as I won't support them.
Have fun playing though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabianb View Post
I didn't say that DS invented that style, but the protagonist looks almost the same, too close for me. And thanks for reminding me. Can you tell me who invented it?

Last edited by Sash-O; 02-02-2016 at 02:10 PM.
02-02-2016, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Wait, so are you saying this is just a coincidence or that the super distinctive art style of Don't Starve has been done a bunch of times before. If it's the latter, can you provide any examples, as that's my main hesitation right now with regards to posting anything about this game.
No, it's probably not a coincidence. But it's not stolen either (stealing is another discussion by the way). And the fact that this art is only used for the main screen, mostly, I really see no big deal here.

But sure, some examples of this art style before Don't Starve was born: Tim Burton (as mentioned above), Gashlycrumb Tinies, Dr. Seuss art (which is in color, but a big influence), Roman Dirge, Edward Gorey (good example).
02-02-2016, 02:20 PM
I didn't say that DS invented that style, but the protagonist looks almost the same, too close for me. And thanks for reminding me. Can you tell me who invented it?[/QUOTE]

You can create your character to look like different. So at least there's that. You don't have to make one that looks like the dude from DS
02-02-2016, 03:40 PM
The game definitely has some resemblance to the artwork in Don't Starve, but I wouldn't say it's to the extreme of theft. And the gameplay and environments in the screenshots look completely different.

Anyway, I think I'm going to give it a try. I'm totally against theft of assets but there are so many games that uses similar art styles that I'm not going to get worked up about it. It may be one of the few to have the DS art style and probably was at least inspired by it, but there are many other games that adopt similar art styles from others.

If it turns out that assets were completely copied / stolen, I'll be singing a different tune.