★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Howard Nager
  • Genre: Sports
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 6.7 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Not to be confused with real Wiffle Ball, this game is as close as you can get to green grass, a white ball and a yellow bat.

Grab a lawn chair and a yellow bat. Pull out a cooler and turn on the baseball game or your favorite tunes. Then take some masking tape, an old lawn chair and your backyard. Youve got the perfect venue for curving balls in and out and all around. Its BuzzBall - not Whiffle Ball - and its the latest craze in pitching fun for the iPhone.

Curve the Wiffle-style BuzzBall left to right, right to left, up to down and down to up. You can put crazy action on the BuzzBall so it floats all over before crossing the plate.

Adjust the ball so it dips and dives all over the place. Pick your direction and power. Then flick it sideways or forwards - or at any angle - toward the strike zone. Consecutive strikes activate a throw through a hoop difficulty level.

Play by yourself or against friends. This is just like Wiffle Ball but its even more fun. See who can pitch the most strikes in a row.

Or play target-practice mode. Make the BuzzBall nail the bulls-eye with pinpoint accuracy. More points for hitting the center and maybe youll get yelled at for losing the ball over the fence or off the screen.

BuzzBall also features variable wind and a high-score feature. So take your Wiffle style to the next level and play BuzzBall. Its a buzz!

-Toss BuzzBall for strikes against the lawn chair
-Get high score by taking on the bulls-eye
-Authentic sounds of the game
-Variable wind affects the curve of the ball
-Fun voices from neighbors

Future BuzzBall versions to have more game modes and languages. Look for updates this fall.

freedog's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up
10-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Remember those lazy days of summer spent in the backyard playing your own variant of whiffle ball? It was always "house rules" and you could have as many different rules as you had houses. While the iTunes store has a few baseball games, many focus on the hitting. Buzz Ball focuses on the pitching aspect of that crazy hollow plastic ball with the holes that make it spin in sometimes random patterns. That is until you know which way to position the holes. Then you can succeed. The same principle is used in Buzz Ball. Buzz Ball focuses on the pitching of this backyard pastime. Take your choice between two different modes - Balls and Strikes and Target Practice.

In Balls and Strikes the backyard lawn chair is waiting for you to hit the taped on strike zone. The round continues as long as you don't walk your batter. Keep getting strikes for a high score. Position the ball properly and then flick the ball towards your target. The harder you flick, the further it flies. But ready to foil your attempts is the wind. Make sure you aim properly to take into account wind resistance. Think you are going great guns with a string of strikes? Here comes the hula hoop that you must throw the ball through and STILL get a strike. Maybe its close to the chair, maybe its far away, so here is where the challenge of the mechanics of the ball come into play. Want a slider? Put the holes on the top. Rise ball? Curve? You name it, it can be done!

For Target Practice a dart board replaces the lawn chair and you are given ten balls to throw at your target. Again the wind will swirl your ball all over the place so aim carefully. The wind changes each pitch so pay attention! Here you just want to concentrate on accuracy and get your high score. Go ahead and submit it to the global high scores and see where you rank among the best backyard pitchers in the world!

Background comments from the peanut gallery keep you on your toes. "Come in for dinner!" brings you back to those days of yesteryear, or "We want a pitcher not a belly itcher" inspire you to do better so you don't smack the little wise mouth! Its the perfect blend of a real experience. Don't go looking for a soundtrack since it is supposed to be your backyard. Graphics are hand-drawn and lend to the notalgic feeling of the game. Anything more flashy and it would detract from the real experience.

Be sure to test out the physics and mechanics in practice mode. Here you can experiment how hard you must flick, how far away you must aim for the wind, etc. Once you get your groove, go ahead and give the two modes a shot.

Overall, in a game similar to Paper Toss, Buzz Ball delivers a strike with a backyard pitching experience. The physics are realistic and must be fine tuned to succeed. Graphics are simple but do not detract from the theme. Sounds are realistic and aim to inspire and add to the realism of youth in the backyard. The replay value is unlimited as your try to better your score and enter the global top 50. Are you the best backyard pitcher? Buzz Ball will give you the chance to prove it! Anyone who enjoys the flicking technique unique to the iTouch/iPhone will enjoy this game with its unique and engaging aspects.

10-04-2009, 04:23 PM
nice review, and I agree this is a decent game. I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be. The more I play it, the more I like it.
10-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Yes, it is a nice review and now I'm going to buy it!
10-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by PhagoCychotic View Post
Yes, it is a nice review and now I'm going to buy it!
Post some impressions. I doubt you'll regret it, I'm surprised how fun this game is and that it didn't get noticed.
10-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by freedog View Post
Post some impressions. I doubt you'll regret it, I'm surprised how fun this game is and that it didn't get noticed.
Yes I agree - its great fun for a hidden gem! Post some impressions. Try out the practice mode to get used to the wind factor and you will be up in the global 50 in no time if I know you Phago!
10-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Just got build 1.01 from Howard and will share some new screen shots of the game soon.

For one thing we already changed the icon and the front screen so it doesn't immediately make you think it's a bowling game.

Jeff Cutler

Co-Creator BuzzBall
BuzzBallGame Blog
10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I played this for 10 minutes and I *LOVE* BuzzBall so much more than Paper Toss World Tour. I think the difficulty is more complex and that's what makes strategizing your throw incredibly fun. Are the sound bites from Vince Vaughn and Jim from The Office? I think they're hilarious. So I'm not the best at playing and currently scored 56 in Target Practice mode but I gonna keep trying. Unfortunately, I have to assign the most commonly overused superlative in the App store to this game: ADDICTIVE sorry but it's true

Last edited by PhagoCychotic; 10-05-2009 at 03:50 PM.
10-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I've been playing the IMPROVED version all day and love it more than I did when I woke up one morning in July with the idea for the game.

Target Mode will now give you (when v 1.01 comes out in a week or so) a free ball with each bullseye. That makes it possible to go WAY over a 100 perfect score.

And the sounds are just me, my father, two friends and a random waitress at the taping of my video show - NomX3.com.

Let me know any suggestions for future updates. Leave them here or put them on the game site - link below.

Jeff Cutler

Co-Creator BuzzBall
BuzzBallGame Blog
10-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Here is a free code to BuzzBall...

The next version (update 1.01) comes out shortly and the price goes up to $1.99.

Grab it now at $.99 while you can.

All info at the link below - buzzballgame.com.

Jeff Cutler

Co-Creator BuzzBall
BuzzBallGame Blog