Developing Innovative Games for Touch

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by smashmtl, Feb 11, 2016.

1. smashmtl

smashmtl New Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Hello everyone,

I am a developer at an indie games studio in Montreal. Our mission is to push the boundaries of how touch and mobile technology is used in games.

I am trying to build a library of games that use touch and mobile technology in interesting ways. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

Some games that I have already come across that I find interesting are:
    The World Ends With You (ported from nintendo DS, but still an interesting example)
    Magic Touch
    Devouring Stars

I believe that mobile and touch games have yet to come into their own. Up till now most successful games are essentially watered down PC ports or simple mini games. As consumers and developers become more comfortable with the technology, I hope to see a golden age for touch gaming - if you look at the early history of PC gaming you see the same trend in the evolution of interfaces (for example the FPS revolution that followed DOOM).

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I would describe that as an arms race, not a revolution. The same game made over and over with better graphics.

There are some really amazing games on iOS like monument valley, the room series, a dark room, badlands, league of evil to name a few. It is really about finding the right experience.

3. markofjohnson

markofjohnson Active Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    How about Hit Tennis 3 - my game. As far as I am concerned, we invented swipe to hit the ball in 3D using (almost) first person perspective. Lots of games copied various parts of Hit Tennis, but very few could code the controls like ours.

4. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I've already responded to this in the gaming thread, but just in case you missed it, I picked out a few more games that I feel are innovative in their use of touchscreens.

HoPiKo - a fast-twitch platformer that actually is more of a muscle memory exercise, which could only work with touchscreen swipes to move. Very clever design.

Prune - an innovative game that is really well suited to touchscreens.

Land Sliders - using swipes to give you a feel of momentum is very clever, even if the game itself isn't my cup of tea.