★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best puzzle game? Recommendations, please.

10-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Best puzzle game? Recommendations, please.

Hi guys,

I tried to look for a similar topic but it is impossible to find it in so many posts (so if any of you knew about it please post a link).

Basically I would like some recommendations - I am looking for a puzzle game that is not time dependent (although it may have a time dependent mode, I am not against) and it is not that classic "match/rotate/swap/shoot or whatever 3 pieces of same kind/shape/color". I just want some puzzle game which may be played in tram, bus or train with one hand and the most important is the user's logic and not his hands' speed or accuracy. I tried to look through the games in appstore and the reviews here in TA but the offer is just too great and of course I don't feel like buying every single app to try it out.
No price limit.
Thanks a bunch for every opinion!

P.
10-05-2009, 07:30 AM
The latest puzzle games that are good:

Crystal Caves Classic (one hand playable, cave/dungeon puzzle)
Boulder Dash Rocks (one hand playable but has a timer, still this is a lot of fun if you like cave/dungeon puzzles)
Electric Box (logic puzzle)
Wriggle (one hand playable)
Copy Cat: A Painter's Puzzle. (color mixing and shape play)
Sheeple (casual pathfinding puzzle, improvements and additions to come)

For more puzzle games, check out the link in my sig at the bottom of my post.

Last edited by Ravenblack; 10-05-2009 at 07:36 AM.

10-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Yeh Ravenblack's link is the ultimate resource. We've got Mew2468 to thank for that!

Currently Playing: Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer, Summoner Wars

Game Center: Camzeee
10-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camzy View Post
Yeh Ravenblack's link is the ultimate resource. We've got Mew2468 to thank for that!
Yes.

And Camzy, you forget your own; Poco should look into your sig's "Best Of Its Kind" links too.

Last edited by Ravenblack; 10-05-2009 at 07:57 AM.
10-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camzy View Post
We've got Mew2468 to thank for that!
Thank you . I didn't think the thread would grow into such an extensive list.

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
10-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco View Post
Hi guys,

I tried to look for a similar topic but it is impossible to find it in so many posts (so if any of you knew about it please post a link).

Basically I would like some recommendations - I am looking for a puzzle game that is not time dependent (although it may have a time dependent mode, I am not against) and it is not that classic "match/rotate/swap/shoot or whatever 3 pieces of same kind/shape/color". I just want some puzzle game which may be played in tram, bus or train with one hand and the most important is the user's logic and not his hands' speed or accuracy. I tried to look through the games in appstore and the reviews here in TA but the offer is just too great and of course I don't feel like buying every single app to try it out.
No price limit.
Thanks a bunch for every opinion!

P.
Get Symbolism and Str8ts (Or Str8ts 6x6). Both fantastic puzzle / logic games you can play with one hand that depend on your thinking skills and give you the time you need to think.
10-05-2009, 09:11 AM
It seems everyone has their own opinion on this subject, and the master puzzle thread that was linked for you is now highly overwhelming if you try and get through the whole thing, although it does make some recommendations up front to help.

Perhaps I can help by saying I like conceptually simple puzzles games (i.e. puzzles with simple and clean rules where the complexity comes from figuring it out, not the rules) best, and you can see if you have similar tastes by trying out a free rush hour puzzler. Try Unblock Me! Lite, which has hundreds of puzzles, all for free.

If it turns out you like the simple logic/look ahead of rush hour puzzles, then I highly recommend Fling! which is completely different, but has the same sort of simple to understand, but at the same time complex to do logic/look ahead. Fling! is .99, but is so highly polished its totally worth it. It has an untimed unlock mode, and two timed modes, one of which comes in three difficulty levels.

If your looking for something with a little more of a game built around the puzzle, well, there are a million choices. But if it turns out your tastes in puzzles are like mine, your not going to beat the above 2 for train puzzles.

If you do want your puzzle wrapped in more of a game then my above 2 recommendations, you might try alchemy. I feel as you do about match-3s, but alchemy takes the match-3 concept and makes it into an amazingly challenging and fun puzzle game.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale

Last edited by ArtNJ; 10-05-2009 at 09:15 AM.
10-05-2009, 09:29 AM
very true, for mw try iphyzzle, iphyzzle2, ancient wonderland(better version of azken imho), and timeploop.

Also a +1 on electric box and str8ts.

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
10-05-2009, 10:14 AM
If you want simple rules but complex puzzles, I find Huebris to be a fantastic experience.

There is a timer, but it is here to brag, you can solve the puzzles at your own pace.
10-05-2009, 10:33 AM
enigmo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!