★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Cat Trap - Coming late 2009

10-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Cat Trap - Coming late 2009

This will be the first iPhone app and game I made, and working on it with a partner. I'm doing most of the programing he's doing most of the graphics, though at times our tasks will interchange... I will be using Cocos2d (which is new to me, but heard good things about it).

Our Company's Website: http://www.alternativevisuals.com

And now for the description...

Cat Trap will be a spin off of the old windows game Rodent's Revenge, though will not be a recreation. It will feature completely new graphics, features, and gameplay.

For those unfamiliar with this game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodent%27s_Revenge

You control the mouse as it pushes blocks in attempts to trap the cat before the cat catches you the mouse. As you move through the game it increases in difficulty as more cats appear and obstacles get in your way. Other game modes will be offered along with the classic levels ensuring hours of replay value!

Two Distinct Game Modes
Survival Mode - Essentially a never ending attack by cats, how long will you survive?
Classic Mode- Work your way through all 25 levels as they progress in difficulty.

High Scores and Achievements
As you work your way through the game earn achievements for mastering the game.
Go for the high score in survival mode and brag about it to everyone!

Gameplay and Graphics
Featuring unique gameplay elements that will challenge your pursuit of mastering the game! Including a variety of block types...
High quality graphics that give you a retro feel for the modern age.

All of this is subject to change, below is a concept image (not actual screen shot) of the game and how it will look.

Once again this is subject to change and isn't complete, but will give you a general idea of the game.

I hope to release the game (pending delays, and anything else) late 2009 or possibly early 2010. This is a hobby for us and not expecting to get rich nor are we sacrificing much in regards to our work/school. So time will be a constraint sometimes...

I'm open to any comments, ideas, questions, or suggestions. I will continue to use this thread to keep everyone up to date as the game progresses, at the moment it's in the very early stages. I still need to finish a iPhone Programing book, I know Objective-C (hence the reason I'm using Cocos2d) but wanted to get a good foundation in programing for iPhone.
11-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Just would like to update the post with some glimpses of the progress of the game so far!

These screen shots are from the game directly as it is at this moment, their is still much to be added.

--

These are two quick videos showing some of the game, the videos are a little old in that a few things changed and the blocks have been added since the videos have been recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEvJ9...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3wDPTyK-sY

More information can be found in the blog http://alternativevisuals.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Avizzv92; 11-05-2009 at 09:52 PM.

11-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Looking good

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
11-06-2009, 03:20 AM
I would rather have swipe controls than on-screen buttons, but thanks for developing this. I use to spend hours on Rodent's Revenge lol

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
We were toying with the idea of having the swipe option, it will be easy to implement. We were also thinking about accelerometer tilt controls, but those could get awkward.

If there is enough interest in swipe controls I'll add it as an option, I'll be releasing a beta eventually and I can add it to the beta and see how people like/dislike it compared to the buttons.
11-06-2009, 09:21 PM
OMG, I remember this game. Or else a game like it.

Recent purchases: Pac man CE, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Mecho Wars, and Chaos Rings.
Upcoming Games I plan to get: Splinter Cell, GoF2
11-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyLay View Post
OMG, I remember this game. Or else a game like it.
A screen shot from original might spark your memory...

I don't think their is any remakes, even for the PC. I thoroughly searched before I started the project to make sure it wasn't already done (mainly to make sure something similar wasn't already in app store). I didn't find a whole lot other then the original, seems the game was just forgotten.

If it turns out to be successful I will probably make a similar version for the Mac and charge the same .99 cent price for it. Though the one for the Mac will have different controls, layout, and size proportions. It will use the same general code which will make the port easy.
11-06-2009, 10:27 PM
The GUI lay-out needs a massive overhaul. A couple suggestions:

Instead of having a cramped directional keypad, keep the keypad, but make them 4 large transparent square buttons.

Place the score and level on the upper left hand corner.

The pause button on the upper right hand corner (to avoid accidentally pressing it), with a restart option when it's tapped.
11-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
The GUI lay-out needs a massive overhaul. A couple suggestions:

Instead of having a cramped directional keypad, keep the keypad, but make them 4 large transparent square buttons.

Place the score and level on the upper left hand corner.

The pause button on the upper right hand corner (to avoid accidentally pressing it), with a restart option when it's tapped.
I probably will move the scores and that to the top, though I'm confused with what you suggested with the directional pad. Do you mean keep them in same location but just enlarge them? I'll definitely take your thoughts into consideration, anything to make the game better
11-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avizzv92 View Post
A screen shot from original might spark your memory...

I don't think their is any remakes, even for the PC. I thoroughly searched before I started the project to make sure it wasn't already done (mainly to make sure something similar wasn't already in app store). I didn't find a whole lot other then the original, seems the game was just forgotten.

If it turns out to be successful I will probably make a similar version for the Mac and charge the same .99 cent price for it. Though the one for the Mac will have different controls, layout, and size proportions. It will use the same general code which will make the port easy.
I remembered this game from when I first saw screenshots! Not sure I'd buy this one, but I do wish you luck

If you want a beta tester you can PM me.

Gameloft live, GC: stuffradio
Beta testing: None