★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: It's the year 3016, and you are in charge of an archaeological expedition to the planet Kepler-1138. Your aim is to know what happened to the Lovans, humanoid aliens that became extinct for unknown reasons.

You will use artificial life to replicate the story of the mysterious species. Will you develop their technology, make them experts on warfare or strengthen their cultural influence? Choose carefully your strategy to reveal the past of the Lovans, and also their future.

Launch trailer: https://youtu.be/hSuFno-MZGM

Content

- YOU ARE THE PROFESSOR - Guide an artificial society through 20 missions over the whole planet
- WHAT IF...? - Choose your own approach to each challenge amongst multiple survival strategies
- A BEAUTIFUL WORLD - Discover Kepler-1138 through the artwork of Guillem H. Pongiluppi
- EXPAND YOUR KNOWLEDGE - Unlock 60 achievements with additional content explaining the science behind the game

Features

- Complex simulation of hundreds of bots in a dynamic environment
- User Interface specifically designed for portable devices
- In-Game tutorial explaining game mechanics
- Localized in English, Spanish, and Catalan

Follow us on Twitter:
https://www.twitter.com/evoplanetgame

Like Evolving Planet on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/evolvingplanetgame

Made by Murphy's Toast Games

xrubio's comments:

Evolving Planet is also available for android here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...EvolvingPlanet

Additional information in the official site:
http://www.evolvingplanetgame.com

Launch trailer:
02-28-2016, 05:10 PM
Looks interesting! Downloading now. Will leave imps in a few.

02-29-2016, 04:04 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed this game from start to finish. The game is 100% free and was an absolute delight to play. Gameplay mechanics are interesting and challenging enough to keep you playing. Although not super difficult, it is just hard enough to feel satisfying. The story pushed me through from start to finish without stopping. I don't remember when the last game had me this interested. I hope to see more content soon. I would recommend this game to anyone!
02-29-2016, 05:34 AM
Absolutely seconding what tehvar wrote.
I went through the whole game in one go, really kept me hooked to see what's happening next.

The game mechanics are deceptively simple, but there is a short learning curve to figure out what works best.
Game graphics do their job (well, you only see your population as small blobs, so there isn't anything fancy to be done on that side).
The cutscene panels are absolutely beautiful though. I really want to see more of those, would pay big bucks for an artwork book without blinking

The game does teach you a few simple things about how a population interacts with its environment, e.g. the consequences of over-exhausting your habitat by cutting down all trees for wood.
And I really liked the various tidbits of (historical) information and anecdotes/quotes you can see via the Achievements.

@xrubio: You should contact schools about it, would fit in pretty well as educational game on the subject.
03-01-2016, 04:16 AM
@tehvar and @Nullzone thanks for taking the time to write about the game :-)

We have lots of ideas for additional content, but we'll have to see how this release goes before deciding on what to do next.

We are in contact with people doing research on education, so we were lucky enough to test an alpha version of the game with teachers and students and get some feedback to adjust the game mechanics and tutorial. We would definitely love to see schools using it as an educational tool!

Xavier Rubio-Campillo
Game director of Evolving Planet
Murphy's Toast Games
03-01-2016, 04:48 AM
Fingers crossed then that all goes well

One small nitpick I just remembered:
On the level start screen, you have those symbols in the bottomleft corner. I assume they represent the possible achievements (if not, no clue what they mean).
Would be nice to see an achievement description when you tap on them.
03-01-2016, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post
Fingers crossed then that all goes well

One small nitpick I just remembered:
On the level start screen, you have those symbols in the bottomleft corner. I assume they represent the possible achievements (if not, no clue what they mean).
Would be nice to see an achievement description when you tap on them.
The icons indicate the type and number of goals for each mission. Nice suggestion, we'll add this to the next update! :-)

Xavier Rubio-Campillo
Murphy's Toast Games
03-01-2016, 06:43 AM
Really enjoying this so far. Each level (that I've played, only on 3 now) is a fairly quick playtgrough... 5 minutes tops. Which is nice for short mobile gaming sessions. The requirements are straightforward and easy to understand, while there is challenge and strategy to completing them.

Where this game shines, though, is in the artwork and cutscenes. The little blurbs that connect the bots to humanity and their evolution are interesting and keep me wanting to see the next phase.

I'm really enjoying this so far!
03-01-2016, 06:44 AM
If I may ask: why free? I'd gladly have plunked down a couple bucks for this. No ads, no iap... You deserve fair compensation for this little gem.
03-01-2016, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludka33 View Post
If I may ask: why free? I'd gladly have plunked down a couple bucks for this. No ads, no iap... You deserve fair compensation for this little gem.
Thanks @ludka33. We got a small budget from a science dissemination program, so we felt that giving the game for free was the best option to increase its visibility...but we can always put some ads if you prefer it :-)

Xavier Rubio-Campillo
Murphy's Toast Games