★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Ever wanted to be a bad guy? To have a lair full of henchmen and underlings at your disposal? Well in "Level Up: Villains" you can.

The Lair is full of evil doers; a blind, fire obsessed dwarf, a three-eyed orc, an undead fallen hero, three crazed elves and a sniper known only as "Question Marks". This ragtag bunch of thieves and murderers are desperate to cause chaos and destruction, but they're in need of a leader.

Hire villains (or beat them up until they join you) and slowly unlock the secrets of the Lair. Train your Villains, tap, upgrade and empower them to be the very best (well, worst) they can be. Improve their skills and (once trained enough) send them out on various dastardly, idle, quests. Your underlings will smash heroes, battle kings and perform a variety of other weird and wonderful tasks for you, all earning you precious gold.

Use this pilfered gold to expand the Lair, unlock new zones, build gold mines (to fuel your evil campaign), unlock shops and hire more Villains. Improve every aspect of your base and become known across the land.

The Lair has many secrets, and perhaps the best kept is the Drums of Power - hidden in its very heart. Find these drums, unlock their secrets and earn powerful relics which will secure your name in the hall of evil.

Features:
+ Exciting Idle / Tapper gameplay.
+ Nearly 20 Villains, to hire, train and upgrade.
+ Close to 100 unique quests that will challenge your skills.
+ Prestige to earn the powerful Items of Power to unlock permanent bonuses.
+ Stunning 3D graphics, great music.
+ More content planned.

At Grumpy Rhino Games we're trying to take the Clicker and Idle genre to the next level. With two successful Tappers under our belt (More! Gold! Now! and Clicker Town) and more planned. We always try to make our games feel different and bring in new ideas to keep you entertained. We're always looking for feedback, so send us a message on...

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/grumpyrhinogames
Twitter: https://twitter.com/GrumpyRhinoGame
03-04-2016, 06:19 PM
What are the IAP ?

03-04-2016, 06:55 PM
There's a one-time-purchase XP increaser and a one-time-purchase gold doubler. Later you can also buy crystal packs which make unlocking some of the later villains quicker.
03-05-2016, 11:07 PM
downloading this and leaving a review after I play
03-06-2016, 02:01 AM
Interesting concept but when literally every villain you buy is the same it gets pretty tedious (even for a idler). All the purchasable heroes have 3 skills (only thing that differentiate but don't actual provide any gameplay of sorts, just a numerical value for questing) to upgrade and also xp/tap and xp/second.

And all villains pretty much scale the same so once you unlock a new villain it's just a quick sequence of doing exactly what you just did with the last villain.
03-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Hey Pyapiopi, thanks for giving it a go and the feedback. It's an interesting point on the villains playing the same - I sort of see these as similar to monsters (or indeed heroes) in games like Tap Titan, Tap Tap Infinity etc - where they are essentially all the same. With the satisfaction coming from the meta game, upgrading different aspects of your lair, unlocking Villains, completing quests, prestiging etc.

I've got updates planned which include random events, a battle arena, spells and a new zone. I hadn't really intended to change the core gameplay (as it is a clicker), but it's certainly something to think about.
03-06-2016, 03:25 PM
I'll keep a eye out on updates then but as is the gameplay isn't satisfying for one reason. As you say you see them similar to heroes in other clickers but there is one huge difference.

Feeling stronger.

In most clickers unlocking the next hero makes you stronger so it's satisfying to finally unlock the next hero. In this game though every new villain doesn't add anything new to your game play. It's just another villain to add to your collection and have to tap to keep leveled up for practically no reason. From what I can tell quests won't utilize skills that you haven't unlocked a hero for yet so really unlocking a new hero in a zone just adds a new restriction to questing. I could be wrong but that's based on my observations.
03-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Quests do utilize skills that you haven't unlocked. You get a couple of grace quests when you enter a new zone that mainly target skills you're likely to have (although not entirely) but then you'll get quests for whichever skills are available regardless of what you have unlocked.

It's worth noting that the amount of gold you earn per lucky tap increases with villain count, and villains also have unique bonuses (later villains' bonuses are more significant than early villains). However, I would agree that these bonuses (especially the tap bonus) aren't made clear enough to the player.

It's really interesting feedback, I didn't get that from my testers, but it's a very valid point.
03-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Good to know. Definitely need some clarification on some of those features then. I have restrained from getting new villains at times because it seemed to only add some workload that I didn't need. Guess I've just been lucky on the quest front not to get a quest I couldn't complete yet.

I'll keep playing for now. The game definitely has potential for being a very unique idler but it needs more features.

Also a big thing I would love to see added is the ability to "teleport" to a quest using the quest list. It's very very annoying having to click over so many screens just to complete a quest. If I could bring up the quest list (that scroll button on the top right) and click a complete quest from there to take me to the quest screen that would be incredibly useful. Especially if this gets like most idlers where you fly by the early game, this aspect will certainly slow you down and just aggravate a lot of players.
03-07-2016, 12:39 AM
I try most clickers. So far i like this. Paid to have the adds removed, and they are still there. Can you look into this? Apple was billed that amount.