The Free to Play Rant Garbage Bin

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by H4nd0fg0d, Mar 7, 2016.

1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    The dev tried to say that it was free in the upcoming thread and I said the same thing. Since when is watching ads free. Whether it's wifi or cellular, data isn't free ever. Neither is my time taken watching them. I'm gonna go play some Implosion now cheers.

2. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    You are absolutely correct EP and I have the utmost respect for your opinion. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade by any means. Nor am I rlly complaining. The game looks spectacular and I'm only stating the truth and my opinion on the monitization set up. I've wished no one ill will by any means. I have principles that I live by just as you do. I hope the game is a smash hit for the dev.

3. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Browsing the TA forums ain't free either then.

I mean, technically pretty much nothing is free.

4. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Seems equally annoying to hear this kind of rant about some of our free to play views. If you don't want to hear these kind of opinions then Internet forums aren't for you. They are merely opinions just the same as the one you've aired. As fo Jared and Eli and you feeling bad for them, it goes without saying that as long as no one is insulting anyone these are the mechanics of a healthy forum so it is what it is.
    Devs should never be discouraged about their games being critiqued because this is a barometer to the likes and dislikes of the aspects of their product. If only accolades were posted, a dev would have no idea as to what some find undesirable or lackluster and lend to his or her's inability to further polish the product. I believe that this is a healthy forum for members and devs alike. Everyone has an opinion, but opinions about opinions are rubbish.

5. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Eloquently stated. Don't understand why someone would rather deal with timers vs just paying $1.99 (or whatever) upfront. I know it's an "opinion" but just seems like common sence.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm not sure I'd describe two people who repeat themselves over and over in every and any thread where their rant is vaguely applicable "the mechanics of a healthy forum." It's closer to having that annoying raw vegan friend on Facebook who you haven't unfriended yet for reasons unknown that feels the need to comment on absolutely everything you're doing and eating that doesn't fit in to their healthy life dogma.

7. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Seems to me just in this thread alone there's more than two people. The posts are all right here. In every single thread it's more than two people. Its weird you only say two though. It's not something that is going to just go away whether you like it or not. Normal discourse should take place. Each game is its own individual thing. So of course the same type of arguments will be brought up.

Billy

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

More often than not you two are leading the charge, which causes other people to inevitably join in, like any thread derail.

9. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    So if others inevitably feel the same way then they should just shut up too bc they aren't singing someone's praises. Last words on this topic. Very astute, good day.

10. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Like it or not, F2P elements ARE part of the gameplay and are fair game in opinions. If F2P elements cause things like data usage (video ads) or timers (blocking your progress), that's something people need to know about a game.

I don't discount any F2P games. If it's something that looks like I would enjoy, I will always give it a try. There are many F2P games that do it right (like Crossy Road for instance):

As for this game, the timers and video ads are enough to kill my enjoyment of the game. And yes, like others, I may be more interested in a one time IAP to remove them.

I'll end with that but just wanted to state my 2 cents that anything that affects gameplay, F2P or not, should be a part of the conversation and impressions so people know what they're getting into.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I don't disagree, but it'd just be nice to shake the reputation of "TouchArcade is where people come to complain about free to play," and get back to "TouchArcade is where people are excited about iOS games." It's a big reason why you see so little developer participation around here anymore, the environment has turned incredibly hostile for indie devs who literally just want to be able to feed their family who are endlessly hounded by the usual suspects for being too greedy in the game they're forced to give away for free. For another recent example, check out the Tomb of the Mask thread which went from "This is the greatest game ever!" to "I WANT THE DEVELOPER'S HEAD ON A PIKE" when the game's monetization got adjusted so the project wasn't a total loss.

This isn't conjecture either, many developers who used to be staples on the forums have personally told me this is why they don't post here anymore.

12. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I completely agree as far as hostility is concerned. There's a way to express your opinion without being a total ass, as I have seen in some threads. And that is ashame because I too value developers on the forum. It's one of this forum's greatest assets.

13. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    How about an IAP that grants access to a part of the forum where gamers talk about gameplay and the armchair economists are not on the guestlist.
    Or you have to watch a video ad before you can post ahem copy&paste another free to play rant.
    :)

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I love it.

15. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I know nothing about web development...but if you could troll us like this on April 1st....oh man....

16. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Don't forget, you can only post 4 or 5 times, then you have to wait 30 minutes to post again. #

17. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY

Where can I buy? Great idea

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    RIP this thread.

19. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    For those so concerned with derailment, nice way to keep the derailment ongoing. Now, can we get back to this games content. Well, I must start by saying that I couldn't have been more wrong about this game. Played it, grade 'A' content, grade 'A' graphics, grade 'A' controls. My apologies, stellar all around.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Wait, so you join in on the anti-free to play dog pile without even taking 10 seconds to try out the game? Jesus ####ing christ. This is exactly what I'm talking about.