★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

A Warning: Buy Apps from Handheld Games At Your Own Risk.

10-06-2009, 12:33 PM
A Warning: Buy Apps from Handheld Games At Your Own Risk.

Let me explain. Thomas Fessler, CEO at Handheld Games released Touchsports Batting 1000 a couple months back. I bought the game for $2.99 and immediately contacted Mr. Fessler concerning a problem of incessant crashing with the game that made it completely unplayable for me.

He acknowledged this problem and promised a fix for the game. That "fix" came in the way of Mr. Fessler selling the source code and all rights for Touchsports Batting 1000 to Digital Chocolate.

"What's wrong with that?" you might ask. Well, for myself and others who bought the game, we are just out our money while Handheld Games keeps the cash we handed over for his broken software, and he gets all earnings from the sale to Digital Chocolate. Kind of a double win for a shady developer and a loss to unsuspecting consumers. IMO, it's just shoddy business, especially since I've supported this developer since the beginning of his App Store offerings. For those who would say "so what, you lost $3 get over it", this isn't an isolated incident and I think others should know who they're deaing with when they go to buy existing and future apps from this developer.

Last edited by salsamd; 10-06-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: appinfo
10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Hmm, is the Digital Chocolate version re-release effectively a different title such that updates will not address the HHG version you have?

I actually was dismayed that the game was released at all. I beta tested it on a 1st gen iphone and found it wholly unready for prime time with a host of shortcomings, including the incessant crashing you mentioned.

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."
10-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsamd View Post
Hmm, is the Digital Chocolate version re-release effectively a different title such that updates will not address the HHG version you have?

I actually was dismayed that the game was released at all. I beta tested it on a 1st gen iphone and found it wholly unready for prime time with a host of shortcomings, including the incessant crashing you mentioned.
Yeah, it's certainly a completely seperate app. For the last two days the new one by DC and the old one by HHG were both available, at the same time on the App Store. I noticed the one by HHG had a TM symbol by the Touchsports and the new one doesn't.
10-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Well I wonder if DC fixed the crashing issue prior to putting it back out?

I just tried the lite version and while it worked, I found it to be very unpolished and not very enjoyable. I do usually like DC games but this is certainly of lower quality.
10-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
Well I wonder if DC fixed the crashing issue prior to putting it back out?

I just tried the lite version and while it worked, I found it to be very unpolished and not very enjoyable. I do usually like DC games but this is certainly of lower quality.
I'm assuming that DC made some mods to the game as the original was 9.3mb and the new release is just over 8mb. I don't think I'll be buying it to find out though