★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Tentacle Wars: $0.99 (iPhone), $1.99 (iPad) -> FREE (Universal)

03-15-2016, 06:02 AM
#1
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 111
Tentacle Wars: $0.99 (iPhone), $1.99 (iPad) -> FREE (Universal)

Finally! Our award-winning game gets Universal update and it becomes FREE. That means from now cross iPhone-iPad multilayer matches are possible.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1065786902?mt=8

If you haven't tried it yet - go get it!

UPDATE: Tentacle Wars isn't one of these F2P games that forces you to buy stuff in order to make progress. The game balance is exactly the same as it was before it became free. You can pass it without spending any $ at all. Even more, to get the best scores (i.e. 3 stars in each level) you have to pass it without using any paid power-ups (vaccines). So the game doesn't encourage or force you to pay.
...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	100740  

I'm the developer of iOS and Android games, such as Tentacle Wars, Damn Little Town, Deeply Absurd Chain and Movie Fanatic. Blog: lumarama.com Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by lumarama; 03-16-2016 at 02:50 AM.
03-15-2016, 07:35 AM
#2
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 963
Another example of paid going f2p... No thanks

03-15-2016, 08:02 AM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa View Post
Another example of paid going f2p... No thanks
^^Another pointless comment about paid going F2P. No one cares that you aren't going to get this game. No one.
03-15-2016, 08:48 AM
#4
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabuckn View Post
^^Another pointless comment about paid going F2P. No one cares that you aren't going to get this game. No one.
I'm sure you would feel otherwise if you had purchased this game premium before it went free but whatever... Unfortunately it has been happening a lot lately it doesn't say a lot for developer integrity and actually it's not a pointless comment many others feel the same but I will keep further comments for the appropriate thread.
03-15-2016, 08:58 AM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa View Post
I'm sure you would feel otherwise if you had purchased this game premium before it went free but whatever... Unfortunately it has been happening a lot lately it doesn't say a lot for developer integrity and actually it's not a pointless comment many others feel the same but I will keep further comments for the appropriate thread.
Trying not to turn this into another F2P debate thread. But..

Yes, I have spent loads of money on premium games that went F2P. It's part of mobile gaming. It's a "risk" that comes with spending $2.

You say it doesn't say a lot about the devs integrity? You know the devs could easily just abandon the game (like SO MANY premium games do). But no, the devs are having this go F2P and that will hopefully allow further updates to the game.

And before this becomes "I'd rather they just develop a new premium game" If this is how you feel, go start up a studio and get to it. But stirring up this nonsense over and over is incredibly tiresome.

GameCenter: cabuckn
03-15-2016, 10:54 AM
#6
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa View Post
Another example of paid going f2p... No thanks
Thanks for saving my time. Skipped.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
03-15-2016, 11:57 AM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabuckn View Post
Trying not to turn this into another F2P debate thread. But..

Yes, I have spent loads of money on premium games that went F2P. It's part of mobile gaming. It's a "risk" that comes with spending $2.

You say it doesn't say a lot about the devs integrity? You know the devs could easily just abandon the game (like SO MANY premium games do). But no, the devs are having this go F2P and that will hopefully allow further updates to the game.

And before this becomes "I'd rather they just develop a new premium game" If this is how you feel, go start up a studio and get to it. But stirring up this nonsense over and over is incredibly tiresome.
Woah woah woah. Look, we know why devs change models - the game isn't making money. But that doesn't excuse charging for a game then changing the model in a way that screws people who supported your game in the first play. F2P is so prevalent because people don't want to pay for anything, right? Well when you break the trust of the people who are willing to support developers with their money you just make things worse. Now those people think twice about spending their money, too.

And I don't think it's right to say it's a risk of mobile gaming. This isn't a fact that is presented to new users. No one tells you this before you buy a mobile device and games. You find out the hard way, when your game stops working or changes models on you. No one has had to deal with that before on previous game platforms, at least not on consoles and handhelds.

Right now Game Center has been broken on ios 9 since September. I have games I simply can't play because they can't log in. It has been 6 months and Apple hasn't fixed or even really addressed the problem. But they still sell Game Center-dependent games. Is that an acceptable risk for the consumer, too?

If Apple or developers put a big "buyer beware" sign on the app store, maybe then it would be okay. But they don't because people wouldn't take the risk. That's disingenuous.

Last edited by HotHamBoy; 03-15-2016 at 12:02 PM.
03-15-2016, 12:32 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHamBoy View Post
And I don't think it's right to say it's a risk of mobile gaming. This isn't a fact that is presented to new users. No one tells you this before you buy a mobile device and games. You find out the hard way, when your game stops working or changes models on you. No one has had to deal with that before on previous game platforms, at least not on consoles and handhelds.

If Apple or developers put a big "buyer beware" sign on the app store, maybe then it would be okay. But they don't because people wouldn't take the risk. That's disingenuous.
Please read Apple ToS.

Some key points from that link:

- Prices for products offered via the Services may change at any time, and the Services do not provide price protection or refunds in the event of a price reduction or promotional offering.

- Apple reserves the right at any time to modify this Agreement and to impose new or additional terms or conditions on your use of the iTunes Service.

- Apple reserves the right at any time to modify this Agreement and to impose new or additional terms or conditions on your use of the App and Book Services.

- The App and Book Services are not part of any other product or offering, and no purchase or obtaining of any other product shall be construed to represent or guarantee you access to the App and Book Services.

Like I've stated in the past, so much of this is simply on the consumer to educate themselves. I'm not arguing whether you think it's right or wrong, we all have opinions. The purpose of my comments are to shed light, on us as consumers, not necessarily having the "right" to how app pricing is set

GameCenter: cabuckn

Last edited by cabuckn; 03-15-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: grammar
03-15-2016, 02:48 PM
#9
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabuckn View Post
Trying not to turn this into another F2P debate thread. But..

Yes, I have spent loads of money on premium games that went F2P. It's part of mobile gaming. It's a "risk" that comes with spending $2.

You say it doesn't say a lot about the devs integrity? You know the devs could easily just abandon the game (like SO MANY premium games do). But no, the devs are having this go F2P and that will hopefully allow further updates to the game.

And before this becomes "I'd rather they just develop a new premium game" If this is how you feel, go start up a studio and get to it. But stirring up this nonsense over and over is incredibly tiresome.
Good old and yes, pointless, you do it better, card played. Also, I think Repulsa's post was nowhere near as pointless as countless "downloading" comments on countless threads.
03-15-2016, 03:02 PM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke12 View Post
Good old and yes, pointless, you do it better, card played. Also, I think Repulsa's post was nowhere near as pointless as countless "downloading" comments on countless threads.
Not sure if the "downloading" part was directed at me (as I have a total of 2 posts where I can see I typed "downloading" in the 5 years I've been on TA lol).

As to others that say "downloading", those typically generate discussion/impressions on the game. Where as "F2P...no thanks" does what? I've never seen a "downloading" turn into anything aside from impressions (good or bad) but it's at least discussion relevant to that game. It's clear, lots of people hate F2P. That's fine and I totally get where they come from, but hopping onto a thread simply because it's F2P or has gone F2P and saying "F2P bad, no thanks, boo F2P, etc....that's why I said pointless.

From the initial post, it's made VERY clear that it's "gone F2P" It was not eluding that it was currently on sale or free today only, etc. So why get on the thread, say no thanks, then leave? I guess you could argue that saying "no thanks" is the same as "downloading". If that's the case, I'll give you that.

GameCenter: cabuckn