★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Virtual Conquest!

09-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Virtual Conquest!

It's out and going for $2.99. It looks pretty good! Link: http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Recen...0/viewSoftware

Last edited by vandy1997; 09-16-2008 at 12:47 AM.
09-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Cool "Risk" for the iPhone. I've been looking for more strategy/conquest games, but I'd like to see some reviews of this before I buy it.

What I'd love to see is a port of the old Strategic Conquest for the iphone. It was a great classic turn-based warfare game, and simple enough you could probably implement it on an iPhone.

09-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartex View Post
Cool "Risk" for the iPhone. I've been looking for more strategy/conquest games, but I'd like to see some reviews of this before I buy it.

What I'd love to see is a port of the old Strategic Conquest for the iphone. It was a great classic turn-based warfare game, and simple enough you could probably implement it on an iPhone.
Early reviews from iTunes say that there is little or no computer AI in this version and that the dev is working on it.

What I've learned from playing Super Monkey Ball, is that monkeys, in a ball, fall at a speed of 263 mph, on average.
09-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb3 View Post
Early reviews from iTunes say that there is little or no computer AI in this version and that the dev is working on it.
Thanks for the heads up. For $2.99 I'm tempted to wait for a later version. I don't like rewarding developers for partially-functional products.

Now MotionX Poker on the other hand suddenly looks like a great deal.
09-16-2008, 09:45 AM
I think I'll be waiting a bit on this one too.

MotionX Poker was a great deal at $4.99. Now it's an even better one.

What I've learned from playing Super Monkey Ball, is that monkeys, in a ball, fall at a speed of 263 mph, on average.
09-16-2008, 12:30 PM
From the developer

Hi there,

I'm the developer of this application. I thought I should take a few moments to post some comments here (they're more likely to be read than the website at this point).

First, thanks for the interest. I've had some mixed feedback so far, but overall it has been positive. The big negative that people have been talking about has been the computer A.I. It was never intended for the first release to have a mature, expert level, A.I. However, for a number of reasons (which I won't trouble you with here) the A.I. wasn't as thoroughly implemented as planned - and an eleventh hour tweak actually backfired and ended up exasperating this (the lower inclination to attack that many have noted). I can only apologise for this slipping through.

Be assured that the A.I. will be significantly better with the v1.1 release that will be ready fairly shortly, and will continue to improve in subsequent releases too. In fact, from what I have seen of the reviews so far, I believe all the issues mentioned are already in hand.

I realise the v1.0 release has some rough edges but, computer A.I. notwithstanding, I hope the current pricing reflects that (I brought it down a tier from the original level). But for experienced players who really want to play a decent computer player, I'd recommend holding on for now. I won't be changing the price for v1.1, which I hope to hit the AppStore in the next couple of weeks.

I hope this helps.

Phil, at TwoBlueCubes
09-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated.

When you get the chance it would be nice to see a video of the game to get some idea of how the gameplay works. I'm curious to see if it's a literal interpretation of Risk, or if you have added any new gameplay mechanics.

I understand how frustrating writing a good AI can be, so I look forward to version 1.1 to try out the game. Certainly a reduced pricepoint can cause more people to try your game.
09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
just purchased this, trying it out now

my suggestion would be, since you are assigning colors to each player, could it be possible to, on the territory that the player controls, like greenland for instance, if the territory could be the same color as the players.

looking at the lil boxes of color inside the territory is tough, when the territories are so colorful themselves, but i am use to other Risk Styled Conquest games, so maybe it just takes some time to get use to it

thanks
09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the update

Phil, thank you for updating us on the status of the game. I, for one, am very appreciative when developers make an effort to participate with their audience. Most do, but it surprises how many don't. I was ecstatic when I saw this on the app store this morning, I was hoping someone would do this someday. I agree with the post by Mek, it could be neat to see the colors on the territories change per the color of the controlling player, but that might serve better as an option than a standard. Probably more difficult to program than it sounds, though.

I was wondering if you would be addressing the issue of starting territories? Half of the conquest-type game strategy comes form where you start your initial armies. I was really disappointed to see that the game auto fills the board and (I have only played a few games so far, so please correct me if I am wrong), but it seems it is the same spots every time.

Another thing that stood out to me was that after each game, you have to put all the players in again. Is there a way to make it save the player information from game to game? That way, I can do a quick rematch without putting in all the names again, especially helpful in a 6-player match!

All in all, I am really impressed and really happy that this is on my iPhone now, Thank you for all the hard work, and keep up the good work!
09-17-2008, 12:17 AM
PS. I love how the majority of developers are coming here to post updates, reply to customer feedback, and relay to us what's coming down the pipeline. What's even more interesting is that it seems all the indie developers are in on it...no word from the big boys.