★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Do you have what it takes to beat enough coliseums and earn the empress' liking in the Hammerwatch Castle?

Enlist as a gladiator and fight your way through the ranks in this fantasy-themed hack and slash adventure set in the world of critically acclaimed pc game "Hammerwatch". Choose to play as a Warrior, Ranger or Wizard and enjoy beautiful, pixelated, retro carnage as you fight monsters, rivals and bosses in a chain of increasingly difficult challenges.

* Over 40 enemies
* Over 15 unique bosses
* Three classes
* 60 ranks
* 5 differently themed arenas
* 5 different challenges to win the arenas
* Almost unllimited possible arena layouts
* Interactive crowd that will reward brave players and punish cowards

The first six levels are free to play, and if you like the game you can unlock the rest of it with an in-app purchase.
03-17-2016, 04:56 AM
Great find! I love the Steam version.
Anyone how much the IAP is?

03-17-2016, 07:46 AM

The name says it all, you're fighting in coliseums. I'm not really a big fan of that, it's basically an empty place where the battles take place. The game doesn't explain what spells do and after using some of them I'm still not sure what they do. It's not bad, but I'm not really enjoying it when I play.
03-17-2016, 08:04 AM
The controls are amazing, the gameplay is fluid. It just seems to have an unlock IAP and that's it.... But for the love of *** why is this onlin only?

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
Fatthunder.com
facebook.com/fatthunder
twitter.com/fat_thunder
03-17-2016, 08:35 AM
Awesome game! Controls are amazing, never had this much fun with so few pixels and still felt so alive on the battlefield (play as the mage or ranger as kiting is just awesome).

Too bad about the online requirement. It always freezes up when I level up ("failed to contact server"), when I accidentally click on my character (stats have to load from server), and if you die without paying the gold for a save I'm guessing you have to start over (it's pricy, 250 per save and it appears you have to make new gold each time you enter a new arena, as the other gold doesn't carry forward).

Gripes aside, the devs did an amazing job with the simple graphics and composed some sweet tunes. Story could be a bit more but that's not really why you are playing the game. Apparently the first six levels are free. I played for about 20 minutes and didn't hit the paywall yet so I can't comment on that. The online freezes and overall slowness of their server is killing my desire to keep trying.
03-17-2016, 09:30 AM

There are still a couple of Bugs left in the Mobile Build but besides that it`s one of the best Games on Steam that I have supported two years ago on Greenlight. If you like what you see after looking at the iTunes Store Screenshots or the Gameplay footage above just go and grab it.
03-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Hammerwatch.....so exci....wtf.....Colleseum?!

I gave it the benefit of the doubt and downloaded - so disappointed.

Dev, with all seriousness - port the Steam version over, add MiFi and charge us 10, you'll sell a shed load of copies. This.....this is......this is just terrible - a poor, poor substitute for a stellar game. I love it on Steam and iPhone/Pad is crying out for a port. Please?!

Edit: And just to add - atthe very least, please give us twin stick controls and the ability to play offline. The requirement to 'log in' is a little to much like a 'f2p' app for my liking and feel it's pretty unnecessary for a game like this. Thanks.

Last edited by ZS77; 03-17-2016 at 11:09 AM.
03-17-2016, 11:36 AM
Never played this on PC, so I don't know the difference between the two, but I've had nothing but issues today with this version. It may just be server issues or overloaded, but in a half hour of play, I got only two matches in. The game was freezing up any time I tried changing anything. If I beat a match and left out of one dungeon, I couldn't get to the second dungeon because it was cut off the screen or if changed my character, I would get a server issue pop-up. Hopefully things get worked out because this does seem like an awesome game.

FYI, this was on an iPhone 6. I'm going to try it on my iPad Air 2 and see if I get some better results.
03-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEN View Post
Never played this on PC, so I don't know the difference between the two, but I've had nothing but issues today with this version. It may just be server issues or overloaded, but in a half hour of play, I got only two matches in. The game was freezing up any time I tried changing anything. If I beat a match and left out of one dungeon, I couldn't get to the second dungeon because it was cut off the screen or if changed my character, I would get a server issue pop-up. Hopefully things get worked out because this does seem like an awesome game.

FYI, this was on an iPhone 6. I'm going to try it on my iPad Air 2 and see if I get some better results.
If I turned wifi off it worked great, first boss battle was a glitch fest. This just has an unlock for past arena 6. Not f2p at all from what I am seeing. No IAP currency either. But the online only it tedious.

It also slows down to barely a crawl when you have a lot on the screen. Maybe if this all gets fixed and it goes offline. But not recommended in its current state.

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
Fatthunder.com
facebook.com/fatthunder
twitter.com/fat_thunder
03-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Did I read this right? Does this run on iOS 5? It sounds so crazy it just might be true... My iPod touch hasn't had a new game in years, but this has raised my hopes.

P.s does anyone know how to turn on forum notifications for the TA app?