★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Lazrhog Games
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 13.8 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Reviews:
Albie from Toucharcade
"iPlutoid is fun and different kind of shooter that offers enough innovative elements to make it worthy for fans of the genre. For others, the funky landscapes and smooth controls make this an easy decision. 4/5"

Pocketgamer
"For a budget title, the basic gameplay and gorgeous graphics make iPlutoid a very pleasant distraction - 7/10 Bronze Award"

Featured by Apple on the Hot New Games List 15/10/2009

----------------------

We, at Lazrhog Games, firmly believe we have created a new genre of 3D Shoot'em up ! Welcome to iPlutoid, the 3d Shooter where the action takes place in orbit around a small planet, now named a Plutoid (thanks NASA !).

Take the role of Lt. Starfighter in repelling wave after wave of ever increasingly difficult aliens. Navigate your way in orbit around the surface of the Plutoid in true 3D. Wherever you point, that's the direction you shoot. Luckily you have an advanced targetting system, that will assist you in your aim.

The game has a fantastic, retro, flat shaded polygon look, which enhances the amazingly smooth feel as the landscape rotates beneath you. Save the humanoids or watch as the planet transforms into a volcano filled planet with lava bombs flying through the air. Can you save the humanoids, get the high score and make the Role of Honour online ?

FEATURES

- Fantastic retro inspired look
- Awesome smooth graphics
- Amazing gameplay perfected by our beta testers
- Easy to play but tough to master
- Fast arcade action
- Wave after wave of aliens in true shoot'em up style
- Unlimited levels of increasing difficulty
- Auto accelerometer calibration if wanted
- .. or fixed calibration if you want
- Accelerometer sensitivity adjustments
- Online worldwide high scores (no registration required)
- Auto-saves game if you press home or are interrupted by a call
- Your music can play instead of the sound effects if you want
- Free updates (already working on achievements and power ups for next release)

REQUIREMENTS

OS 2.2.1 or later. iPlutoid has been tested on all revisions of iPhone/iPod Touch

lazrhog's comments:

YouTube: video
10-07-2009, 01:09 AM
WoooHoo!! I tested this game and its one awesome shooter

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG

10-07-2009, 01:42 AM
looks cool. For a buck I'll definitely bite
10-07-2009, 01:57 AM
congrats lazrhog, great game. i tested this and can say honestly get this! im sure all of the other testers will back me up.

Plus+ id: Fudgeboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
I find DG incredibly sexy, just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
You scare me, you honestly scare me
10-07-2009, 02:00 AM
I just downloaded it and i already love it. Super Silky smooth gameplay and the tutorial is great. I've just been playing for the past 10 minutes but I can already tell how addicting this game will become! The controls will take a little getting used to but I can definitely say that it was worth the wait and money well spent!

* Any news on the rRootage / Noiz2sA update?
10-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpetro View Post
I just downloaded it and i already love it. Super Silky smooth gameplay and the tutorial is great. I've just been playing for the past 10 minutes but I can already tell how addicting this game will become! The controls will take a little getting used to but I can definitely say that it was worth the wait and money well spent!

* Any news on the rRootage / Noiz2sA update?
The full version of Noiz2Sa for free is about 6 days behind iplutoid in the queue, so not long now. rRootage update is ongoing, not submitted yet :-)

Follow me on Twitter
Games/Ports I have on Appstore
GeoTris $0.99, iPlutoid Free, Neverputt ME $0.99, Noiz2sa Free Free, Neverputt HD $0.99
Coming this year MiZoo 2, 2 untitled games in work
10-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Review: iPlutoida fun 3D shooter with a different look

Most of us probably had our first exposure to Lazrhog Games with its port of Kenta Chos rRootage. If you enjoyed the visual eye candy of that game, youll definitely want to check out its latest 3D shooter iPlutoid. Combining a 3D retro look, highly responsive controls, and innovative orbital gameplay, iPlutoid is a fantastic shooter that may just be different enough from other shooters to lure you in.

Playing the role of Lt. Starfighter, your task to is to battle and destroy waves of Noki aliens intent on capturing humanoid residents and conquering the planet Plutoid. iPlutoid is different from your typical shooter since part of the challenge is learning to navigate and shoot your way out of trouble while in orbit. This adds a twist to how you approach targeting, shooting and dodging enemy ships.

Visually, the 3D graphics are some of the best youll seewhen it comes to polygons. Most of us probably prefer smooth graphics, but the use of jagged edges and corners, flat and shaded surfaces, and overall old school look work extremely well in iPlutoid. From the palm trees and buildings to mountains and hills, youll probably wish you could leisurely fly around a little more.

Since this game is accelerometer controlled, I was initially worried about responsiveness, but the animation and movement are done equally well. The controls work perfectly, although they do require some practice. To move left or right, simply tilt in the appropriate direction, and tilt forward to adjust the pitch. Thrusters are controlled by tapping the left side of the screen, while tapping the right side fire weapons. Auto/fixed calibration and tilt sensitivity options are also available.

The most difficult part of the controls for most will be adjusting the pitch since this is relevant for both shooting accuracy and navigation. A targeting scanner appears when an alien ship is in firing range. Because the game is played in orbit and enemy ships appear above and below your ship, effectively adjusting pitch is essential if youre to hit targets. In addition to enemy fire and mines, your ship will be destroyed by objects on the ground such as trees, windmills and light houses to name a few if you fly too low. While your ship has radar to detect enemies, you are limited to a dual turret weapon and no shields.

To keep things interesting, the Noki have a variety of different vessels at their disposal. Lunars are the most abundant and the primary ships for capturing humanoids. They do this via tractor beam and if you manage to shoot them down before they reach orbit, youll be able to save the humanoid. Humanoids that are unfortunate enough to be captured are turned into Mutoids who in turn become yet another enemy for you.

Other Noki weapons include:
Minersleave mines in your ships path
Spikersfewer in number but harder to destroy
M-Shipsa vessel that splits into mini-ships when hit

Something to keep in mind is that Plutoid is a living planet, and this is really where the 3D graphics come alive. In general, the objective is to prevent the capture of all the humanoids. During the battles, homes and windmills are destroyed, but gradually rebuilt over time. Once all the humanoids have been captured, your most important task is to save the lighthouse from being destroyed. Apparently, the Noki dont like light, and once the lighthouse is destroyed, Plutoid will be lost.

Having played with a good number of shooters on the iPhone/iPod Touch platform, iPlutoid is quite different from the typical shooter. The controls make steering around weapons fire possible, although that becomes more difficult as you progress through the attack waves. A number of times, Ive flown into objects on the planet avoiding Noki ships that tend to adopt a kamikaze approach. As simple as it sounds, steering a ship can at times be an exercise in futility with some shooters. In iPlutoid, even turning a ship around and reversing course is a breeze.

The art of shooting is one of the best parts of the gameplay because often a straight shot is not a straight shot. The target scanner will flash red when locked on an enemy, but on occasion, it can be difficult to pick up on the dark background. What iPlutoid could use is perks or power ups since there arent any at this time, although this may be considered part of the challenge. While it doesnt offer difficulty levels, the game seems balanced, although the difficulty ratchets up quickly. But, even in your frustration, youre likely to fall for the addictive gameplay. The game has local and online scoring as well as auto save, which only make iPlutoid an easy to pick-up-and-play game.

Overall, iPlutoid is fun and different kind of shooter that offers enough innovative elements to make it worthy for fans of the genre. For others, the funky landscapes and smooth controls make this an easy decision.

Albie Meter: 4 Stars (addictive shooter with great 3D graphics, smooth controls, and challenging gameplay; game is divided into attack waves rather stages; targeting scanner can be difficult to pick up on occasion; auto save and online scoring included)

Last edited by Big Albie; 10-07-2009 at 03:45 AM.
10-07-2009, 03:39 AM
he lazrhog, Big Albie has posted a review in User Reviews and gave it 4 stars! maybe itll reach the front page!

EDIT: he just posted it here at the same moment

Quote:
Quote:
10-07-2009, 03:49 AM
this looks like it could be some good retro shooting fun, picking it up right now
10-07-2009, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsolo1717 View Post
this looks like it could be some good retro shooting fun, picking it up right now
yeah, it really is worth it, the graphics are so cool! also, BA gave it 4/5-he must like it lol.

Quote:
Quote: