★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Could Apple take charge?

09-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Could Apple take charge?

I for one want every single game and every single app to:

1: let me play my own music.
2: keep the clock at the top of the screen, so I know how much time I'm wasting.

Both of these things seem to be pretty simple for developers to enable, but I can see why they are low priority for the individual developers themselves. Couldn't Apple just make that a mandatory part of the SDK? Would anyone else want to see something like this?

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ted=1#post2313

Last edited by davidmdowning42; 10-01-2008 at 08:01 AM.
09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
I totally agree and i would add that the battery status should be there too.

09-16-2008, 02:53 PM
its doable, just requires a few lines of code for each developer to add in
09-16-2008, 03:22 PM
I've done point 1 in mine but not point 2. I guess I didn't include point 2 because I wanted to use up the full screen but that would definitely be a good idea for my first update, probably making it optional.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
09-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moopf View Post
I've done point 1 in mine but not point 2. I guess I didn't include point 2 because I wanted to use up the full screen but that would definitely be a good idea for my first update, probably making it optional.
I think it's fine if you want to use up the whole screen, but I always appreciate that info on the screen.

you could even implement it into the pause screen like apple did in texas holdem
09-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
I think it's fine if you want to use up the whole screen, but I always appreciate that info on the screen.

you could even implement it into the pause screen like apple did in texas holdem
Well I've been looking at the layout on the screen for my game and there's definitely room to be able to show it if people want to and it not impinge on the play area. I'll definitely include this in the first update to my app, with an option to show or hide it. Hadn't really thought about it until this thread.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
09-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmdowning42 View Post
I for one want every single game and every single app to:

2: keep the clock at the top of the screen, so I know how much time I'm wasting.

Both of these things seem to be pretty simple for developers to enable, but I can see why they are low priority for the individual developers themselves. Couldn't Apple just make that a mandatory part of the SDK? Would anyone else want to see something like this?
Point 1: No. For example, if the dev wants you to be scared on the game, it will ruin the whole experience by having him allow you to play your emo music.

Point 2: No. They can put an in-game timer hidden in the menu, but not on top. It's not aesthetically pleasing. I for one don't wanna see any distractions on a really well done game.

Your points can be included optionally but never mandatory. Sure the appstore games right now are not that good, but they will, eventually. Also adding the option to allow you to play music is easier (just a few lines of code) than the developer scouring the internet for royalty free loops or making his own music.

Last edited by dudehuge; 09-16-2008 at 10:43 PM.
09-17-2008, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmdowning42 View Post
My game does both of those, but I don't think it should be a requirement at all. My game is casual, so those elements are not a distraction. But other types of games, yeah, it'd hurt the experience.
09-17-2008, 03:46 AM
In many times I want to listen to my own music, but keep hearing the game sounds. On Asphalt 4, Tetris and many others. I respect that there are games where the music needs to disable the iPod because the game just does not work without it's own sound, but for now we nearly have 99,9% casual game stuff on the store, where this really does not matter.

I really which that games would give me the option of showing the time "somewhere". On top is of course nonsense. Take Spore or Monkeyball, where you can loose yourself in and forget the time. I did not recognize, that I played for half an hour between receiving and anwering the SMS. Felt like five minutes . So a clock would be nice, if it does not destroy the game feeling.
09-17-2008, 05:52 AM
I mean like a mandatory option. The user should be able to turn it off if they don't like it. But they should also be able to turn it on - on every single app.

I think it should be up to the user just how "into it" they wanna be. Seems ridiculous for a Dev to be all, "your silly music is corrupting my vision!" If I wanna hear Britney while I blast asteroids (I don't, I'm just sayin'), that's my problem. Besides, copyright issues can keep devs from being able to pick music that would be MORE involving than any free stuff they could slap in. (props to those that actually compose original material) I for one always prefered to listen to Tool or Black Sabbath when I played Doom. Worked better than anything else. Devs could even put in iTunes store links to songs that they recommend we listen to while playing! No matter how good a game sound track is, if its a decent length game, it's going to get repetitive. I love the theme in Aurora Feint, but I don't need to hear it anymore, so I'm glad to be able to listen to my stuff now.

I'm sorry, but this is an iPod (or a phone iPod) first and foremost. It's for listening to my music. That was all it did for months before the app store arrived and I liked it just fine. I have lots of great games for it- Monkey Ball, Spore, Funky Punch, StarSmasher, ToyBot. But I'm usually already listening to music when I go into play them. If I like what I'm hearing (which I usually do, it IS my collection) then I don't want to interupt the song to play a game. So I wind up playing the games that let the song keep playing more than any of the others- Aurora Feint & Solitaire. They're good games, but not my favorites in that list. The time I spend playing them is directly related to my ability to play my music.

Last edited by davidmdowning42; 09-17-2008 at 07:41 AM.