★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Only hardcore gamers complain about F2P

04-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Only hardcore gamers complain about F2P

If you are like me and almost everyone else here you would rather pay to play a premium title with a retail price. The huge problem is we are the problem. We want to only pay $1-5 for a game when the dev could easily make the game f2p and get so much more revenue from the game.
If the developer charged $15-20 then to make it a premium game to make money most would complain it's too much so why would the developer want to sell for $3 when it could just make f2p and get more downloads and more revenue.

The average mobile gamer that plays games plays titles like clash of clans and candy crush.
They always end up spending a couple dollars a day at the least just to play for ten minutes.

Could you imagine if clash of the clans was a premium title... It would have been dead along time ago with no one playing it.
There is an addictive model in f2p with buying items , game time , ect.
I just don't know what it is.
04-05-2016, 12:05 AM
There is something premium game should take from freemium-
A donation button ( like the flow of IAP )for updates every major iOS revision

04-05-2016, 02:52 AM
Surely Jay you been around long enough to remember the RACE for the bottom when premium games was all the range, people knew if they wanted long enough the premium price game would either go on sell a lot cheaper then when its launched in sometimes little then under a week or go free altogether which then piss off those that went and brought it to start with.

Streaming some of the newest and hottest games on youtube search touchgameplay
04-05-2016, 02:55 AM
Hardcore gamers are a special breed of people. Most would not bother with F2P games at all. Different market, different target groups.

Loving these: City Racing | Action Games | Big Farm
04-05-2016, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhasom View Post
Hardcore gamers are a special breed of people. Most would not bother with F2P games at all. Different market, different target groups.
Ahh, I like this. I don't like the F2P model, but I accept that not only is it not going away, it will be the backbone of the gaming market from now on, and only grow. The hope for those who prefer the premium games is that they can form enough of a market to make it worthwhile to cater for them. A strong core of players who grew up in the premium era - and developers - should be able to maintain an interesting minority market for a while yet, especially if mobile can keep piggybacking off steam.

Within a generation though, I suspect, everyone will be inured to F2P and expect nothing else.
04-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post

Within a generation though, I suspect, everyone will be inured to F2P and expect nothing else.
You are probably right. However, I feel there's always gonna have place for premium games, even as a niche.

The problem is that dev costs skyrocket. So, in that case, the scope of premium games is going to be reduced, probably.
04-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Once today's children grow up, I think you will see freemium the norm on all platforms, not just mobile. Unlike most of us (children of the 80's and 90's), this generation is being raised on mobile freemium games. It's normal and acceptable to them, and I expect we will see freemium creep into console/PC more as the skyrocketing costs of AAA development become unsustainable outside of the biggest publishers/console manufacturers.
04-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid83 View Post
Once today's children grow up, I think you will see freemium the norm on all platforms, not just mobile. Unlike most of us (children of the 80's and 90's), this generation is being raised on mobile freemium games. It's normal and acceptable to them, and I expect we will see freemium creep into console/PC more as the skyrocketing costs of AAA development become unsustainable outside of the biggest publishers/console manufacturers.
On mobile?
04-05-2016, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madreviewer View Post
On mobile?
I said I think this will be the norm on all platforms in 10-20 years for several reasons.

1.) Today's children are growing up with freemium being the norm and acceptable. Moving outside of the bubble that gamer communities like TA, Neogaf, Reddit and others shows that freemium isn't hated as much as we like to believe. That only gets worse as the kids who grew up with this stuff become adults.

2.) The costs of AAA development on console has to reach a breaking point soon. Now, you need 5+ million in sales just to break even. That's why you see DLC, Season passes and moves towards games as service on console. Just getting $60 up front one time isn't enough anymore.

3.) Freemium is going to provide another option for games as service, which I think most big publishers are moving towards. The days of one up front purchase are numbered.
04-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid83 View Post
I said I think this will be the norm on all platforms in 10-20 years for several reasons.

1.) Today's children are growing up with freemium being the norm and acceptable. Moving outside of the bubble that gamer communities like TA, Neogaf, Reddit and others shows that freemium isn't hated as much as we like to believe. That only gets worse as the kids who grew up with this stuff become adults.

2.) The costs of AAA development on console has to reach a breaking point soon. Now, you need 5+ million in sales just to break even. That's why you see DLC, Season passes and moves towards games as service on console. Just getting $60 up front one time isn't enough anymore.

3.) Freemium is going to provide another option for games as service, which I think most big publishers are moving towards. The days of one up front purchase are numbered.
Well, this a pretty depressing prediction. For the sake of my future self as a gamer I hope it never comes true lol.