★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The call has gone out for new heroes to train and combat dark forces invading Timbercross. Uryene the Lion has opened his legendary academy to any willing to join the cause. Fight through hordes defiling local dungeons, gaining equipment and skills. Graduate and storm the countryside to eliminate the threat closing in. Collect treasure to buy sweet upgrades, or get lucky and find them as you go. As you improve, more grueling dungeons open and punishing creatures swarm.

The Lion and the academy train Fighters, Rangers and Wizards. Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Halflings of either gender are accepted. Get up close and personal with your foe as a Fighter, start your bow attack from afar as a Ranger, or train as a Wizard to learn powerful magic attacks. Each hero type requires a different strategy. Uryene sends no student into the wild without formal training in the nine academy dungeons. Be aware that boss Trolgar the Thumb has been seen in the final lesson. After graduation you are able to venture out and explore the surrounding four regions, beating back the invading legions and their ferocious masters.

Dungeoneers Academy is a mobile RPG/Rogue style fantasy adventure in which players control an avatar from a lowly recruit/trainee into a great hero of the land. Treasure and monsters are random for replayability, yet tailored to the each dungeons level. You will also encounter far more monsters when returning to lower level dungeons. The Academy Guild Store is always available with a great selection of equipment, weapons, spell scrolls and potions for you to choose from. Remember that some items are better for some classes than others.

Repulsa's comments:
One of the hidden gems of the App Store now has a free try before you buy version , with an IAP to fully unlock the whole game. For those of us that already bought it, there is a massive and awesome new update. Check it out if you haven't before, it's free to try!

04-13-2016, 12:15 AM
Dungeoneers Academy: Trials

Thank you for posting this, Repulsa! I somehow missed this one, and am downloading it now.

04-13-2016, 06:58 AM
Dungeoneers Academy: Trials

04-13-2016, 07:49 AM
This top down dungeon crawl is a hidden gem I really love it.This is the trial version you can unlock the game with an IAP. If you already own this game there is an awesome new update.
04-13-2016, 03:27 PM

Fun Spray Games Dungeoneers Academy is an classic Action/Fantas - RPG Top-Down Dungeon Crawler Game from the past that still is very much enjoyable if you aren`t getting too much disturbed by the used Graphic Engine in the Game that some might just call out for being Old-School which isn`t bad at all.

There isn`t really much that I can tell you about the Game since after around one hour with the Game all I could tell you is that it`s an classic Dungeon Crawler Game where you climb down to those Dungeons and clean them out and for the Gold Coins you might find on your way you can either buy yourself newer gear or sell your old one if you had found a better one meanwhile.

Killing everything in the Dungeon or looting all Chests/Barrels and finding the Key for the Exit will give you three Stars and so most of time I got down the Dungeon and pretty much cleared out every single room and killed everything Monster on my way out of the Dungeon.

While the Game runs in realtime the Battles are turned based so every single of your your move does count and could be your last one so make always sure that your don`t act like some Hero and storm into an room not knowing what might be hidden behind the door you just have opend up.

Afterwards you usually go to the Store and repair all your gear, buy newer once that hold longer or makes more damage or have better stats. Besides that I haven`t encountered anything else what could be done in the Game.

Conclusion:

I had a lot of fun in the hour I was playing the Game and the feature that you replay a Dungeon and that it get`s rebuild and stronger mobs get added to it does add a lot of replay value and I`m sure that some that like those kind of Games will for sure therefore enjoy playing Dungeoneers Academy.

Still I would like to mention a couple of points where the Game doesn`t shine as the rest of the Game:

- Control-System: A couple of times I kinda had the issue that I pressed down and my Hero just went instead either sideways or turned around or something else. I would swear that there is something wrong with how the Directions Pad is reacting to my thumb and I really would like the Developer to look again into it.

- Loot: I can understand that Animals don`t usually wear with them Gold Coins or that Chests aren`t always filled with those but when I kill a Human/Goblin/... generally someone/something where it would make sense that it would carry Gold Coins with it and then nothing, abnsolut nothing does drop then I`m asking myself if it shouldn`t get considered that it would make sense.

- Inventory: I am pretty sure that the Inventory is at the current moment bugged since I had at least twice the case were I did picked up something and afterwards a.) it wasn`t in my Inventory at all also the Game had told me that I had picked up something and even explained to me how to use it only to afterwards realize that there was nothing at all besides the Gear in the Game that I was wearing already. The first time it was a Sword and the second time it was a Helmet.

Besides those three things the Game did run very stable and there were no other issues I had noticed that would make me regret buying the Game at all.

Considering it that the rest of the Game is very solid and that I did enjoy my time with the Game the only major Issue I had with the Game is that it does miss kinda an overall Story Plot and there my Rating for this Game has to be as following:

Rating: 4/5 Dungeon Stars - If you like Dungeon Crawler Games you will enjoy playing the Game even with the above known issues that I had encountered. Everyone else should subtract one Dungeon Star and remember that I`m Old School so take my Rating as what it is and accept it or write your own Review about the Game here on the Forum.
04-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Very good review I wanted to add that your gear changes your characters appearance and that is one of the little things I really appreciate about this game
04-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Great game, we'll worth .99$ for premium.
04-13-2016, 07:58 PM
Played first dungeon seems simple might be good. Most annoying tutorial ever.
04-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4nd0fg0d View Post
Great game, we'll worth .99$ for premium.
While fairly old, thread for the premium version has a few more posts.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=285703

Last edited by gmattergames; 04-13-2016 at 08:40 PM.
04-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
- Inventory: I am pretty sure that the Inventory is at the current moment bugged since I had at least twice the case were I did picked up something and afterwards a.) it wasn`t in my Inventory at all also the Game had told me that I had picked up something and even explained to me how to use it only to afterwards realize that there was nothing at all besides the Gear in the Game that I was wearing already. The first time it was a Sword and the second time it was a Helmet.
This is probably due to removal of duplicates. If you pick up an item you already have, you will keep the newest one with no degrading on it and sell the previous one immediately (full sell price). This can refresh your items so you don't have to repair them.

The main reason is to keep you from having to go to the store to sell equipment as much. There is no longer a real limit to items you can collect in a dungeon, but you are directed to the store to sell items if you have more than six of any one kind (limit of game save). Previous versions interrupted the game with a popup to ask you to sell an item if you picked up a fifth item.

Of interest: If you find a special boss weapon (or ring) and sell it, you should be able to buy it back at any time. But you can't buy these until you pick them up from a boss drop.

I hope this makes sense. The idea is that selling duplicates immediately and waiting until you exit the dungeon to sell excess items is for speeding up game play in the dungeon.

Last edited by CodeFu; 04-14-2016 at 02:27 PM. Reason: The original quote for the response was missing