★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Back To Square One is a beautiful platform game with a single tap control scheme that's a perfect fit for mobile devices. Roll from tile to tile, while avoiding numerous obstacles and collecting coins. Sounds easy? Think again! You'll need to pay close attention, or you're back to square one!

Back To Square One features 20 awesome playable characters.

Prefer landscape mode? This game works great in both Portrait and Landscape mode.

Umbrella's comments:
From the creators of Down the Mountain, Boom Dots & ZigZag Boom!

Featured by Apple as one of the Best New Games this week!
Back To Square One

DOWNLOAD FOR FREE NOW:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/back-to-square-one/id1092258126?ls=1&mt=8

Back To Square One is a beautiful platform game with a single tap control scheme that's a perfect fit for mobile devices. Roll from tile to tile, while avoiding numerous obstacles and collecting coins. Sounds easy? Think again! You'll need to pay close attention, or you're back to square one!

Back To Square One features 20 awesome playable characters.

- - -

For press, please visit http://umbrella.wtf/backtosquareone/press.html

DOWNLOAD FOR FREE NOW:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/back-to-square-one/id1092258126?ls=1&mt=8

- - -

TouchArcade got a sneak peak of the game last month at GDC, check out the video below:

- - -

Meet the team

From left to right, top to bottom:
Squish / Bit / Mac / Pingo / Flint
Belle / Pike / Huey / px / Buzz
Emojo / Astro / Chibi / Goof / Skullinator
Gruul / Nibbles / Not Squish / Kyo / Robert

04-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Really fun game thanks to the people of Umbrella, keep it going guys, I am a big fan since Boom Dots.

04-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGER-NL View Post
Really fun game thanks to the people of Umbrella, keep it going guys, I am a big fan since Boom Dots.
Thanks for playing our games! Let us know your highscore on this one, you've killed it on Loop Mania

Because we finally met after 7 years of working together, and because we're releasing Back To Square One today, Loop Mania next week, and Minescape at the end of the month, we have decided to get something to mark this special occasion.

04-15-2016, 04:55 AM
I'm just coming back from buying the ads-free. Had to legitimate my wishes, lol, two of 'em.

I'd like to play more in portrait mode (great one-hander), but it's too zoomed in. To my fully enjoyment, i need to see one and a half square more to plan ahead more efficiently and to stand a chance to come even close to my low score (106) played in landscape.
Possible to add a zoom option, please?

Nitpicking stuff - maybe the background colors could get randomized right from the start?

Though i'm sure it won't hold my daily attention for too long, it's definitely a longtime keeper. Good one-hander games are a rare species.

The very polished and beautiful artwork, the atmosphere, responsive controls and cute characters are worth your time to give it a try.

Edit: coming from a very fast paced game for the last nine days, i simply had to adjust my speed. Getting better in portrait mode (knowing the sequences) so i cut back my wish to see the fifth square in full, please.
I'm Gruul - love this character for his look and deep voice.

Last edited by Qwertz555; 04-15-2016 at 07:56 AM.
04-15-2016, 09:02 AM
This game is pretty fun. Nice little time waster! 😄
04-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Love it! Just like Roger said, big fan since Boom Dots. I'm after you, Roger! =P

Bought the ad removal IAP, thanks for that. Just wish the coins came in faster. There are tons of unlockable characters and most of them cost 1,000 coins.

Also, I appreciate the optional tutorial. I suggest new players go through it. It's actually really helpful and doesn't take long at all.

Last edited by Anotherkellydown; 04-15-2016 at 10:22 AM.
04-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherkellydown View Post
Love it! Just like Roger said, big fan since Boom Dots. I'm after you, Roger! =P

Bought the ad removal IAP, thanks for that. Just wish the coins came in faster. There are tons of unlockable characters and most of them cost 1,000 coins.

Also, I appreciate the optional tutorial. I suggest new players go through it. It's actually really helpful and doesn't take long at all.
Great that you like it AKD, but next week comes Loop Mania also from Umbrella and that is by far the best twitch/arcade game of this year, it's twice as good as Boom Dots, played 7 hours allready on that game.
04-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys for playing! It seems like App Store is still having some issues with their servers and the game has not appeared in many countries featured list including the USA (iphone) list. We are not the only game effected by this issue and we are hoping they solve this quickly so more people can notice and play our game. It will make being ranked #1 on GC much harder
04-15-2016, 11:58 AM
There is a hacker on the Leaderboard the famous Shaky Bird hope he gets removed.
04-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Great that you like it AKD, but next week comes Loop Mania also from Umbrella and that is by far the best twitch/arcade game of this year, it's twice as good as Boom Dots, played 7 hours allready on that game.
Wow, that's some high praise! Looking forward to Loop Mania and Minescape for sure!

Quote:
There is a hacker on the Leaderboard the famous Shaky Bird hope he gets removed.
He'll find his way back. He always does. In a weird way, I missed that stupid bird. Jk