Demon's Rise 2 - Lords of Chaos

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #1 WaveLightGames, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Hi guys,

As some of you know, I'm working on a sequel to Demon's Rise - Conquest of the Deep, which is a tactical RPG similar to XCOM but in a dark fantasy setting. Demon's Rise is similar in that players build a team of 6 warriors and move through an RPG campaign. Unlike most RPG's, cover is critical as well as battle formations and morale. Really strong characters can still be defeated if they position themselves poorly or panic and so forth. The game is about 50% RPG and 50% medieval / fantasy battle simulator. Players will need to make good tactical decisions with their party during combat and not just in the character creation / leveling up screens.

Here are some work in progress shots of the first levels. So far the 10 character classes that will release at launch are done and 7 of the 40 levels are completed. I'm expecting a release date in Q3 of this year.

[​IMG]Intense Battle 2 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Intense Battle 3 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Battle 3 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 2.30.37 PM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

I'll post more information as things get done and we move closer to the release date.

2. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
  3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    That was quick since the last one!

4. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    So what's changed since the first one?

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Lots of new characters, a completely new campaign and several new gameplay elements:

- branching campaign with various choices throughout the story.
    - improved combat mechanism with counterattacks.
    - multiple envirinments (outside, dungeon and medieval city).
    - the ability to have one of your characters elevated to demonhood and be permanently turned into a powerful demon.
    - a new divine blessing system that rewards players with divine favour based on actions during battle.
    - more emphasis on story with a narrative that revolves more heavily around the player characters.

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I like what I see so far and that is already more then I would give nowadays any 2K Games Title that would be showcast, good luck with the months that might be following till the Launch of the Game.

7. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Sounds awesome :) great work !

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Nice surprise, and the new additions sound good. Subscribed.

9. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    the art design look awesome

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #10 WaveLightGames, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Thanks ... going for dark, gritty fantasy theme. It's similar to early Warhammer fantasy setting (3rd to 5th editions). It has historically accurate human kingdoms that are similar to 11th century European armies fighting against barbarians and beastmen corrupted by magic. You'll see more of that style in this game compared to the first Demon's Rise because the storyline revolves around a battle between the humans and demonic armies. As you can see from the screen shots, there is a stark contrast in style and armament of the two major factions.

The dwarves also play a major role in this game's story. They follow a similar theme to the humans but have a bit more of a fantasy element in their design. Here's a picture of a dwarf force from a level I made yesterday:

[​IMG]Dwarf Warband by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Dwarf Force by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

I'm still not happy with the lighting in these outdoor scenes. I need to find ways to brighten it up a bit. It's a tad too drab and over-washed in brown tones.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Quick update for today. Brightened up the lighting for the outdoor scenes and also created a new griffon creature:

[​IMG]Griffon by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

The griffon will be an enemy and not a playable character.

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi guys,

here are some more WIP shots. One of the things that Demon's Rise 2 will have that the first game didn't is multiple locations. You've seen the outside / forest location already. Here is the second location, which is a Wizard's castle / dungeon:

[​IMG]Prison Scene by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Prison Scene 2 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

These levels are part of a prison escape in the second chapter.

So far, out of the 40 quest levels that will be part of the release, we've done 16. Each of these 16 levels have loads of new enemies and tactical options. There are levels with various objectives now so there's a of variety in level design.

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi gents,

Would like some opinion on the fog settings to use for these levels. Here are 3 different options, can you tell me which you prefer?

Option 1 - Exponential Fog:

[​IMG]Escape Scene 2 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Option 2 - Linear Fog:

[​IMG]Escape Scene 1 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Option 3 - Exponential Squared Fog:

[​IMG]Escape Scene 3 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

I find option 1 is too heavy and obscures everything in a blue / grey cloud. Option 2 seems pretty decent ... only the distant items are in fog, giving a sense of depth. Option 3 is perhaps the best in my view as it's a balance between options 1 and 2.

Let me know what you guys think.

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
  15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    The Wyvern looks absolutely gorgeous, like it's made from a mix of stone and bone. One of your best models so far, great work ;)

16. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    Will this game be compatible with devices as ild as iphone 5 ?

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    It should be ... I haven't started the process of optimizing and testing on devices but the goal is to have the iPhone 5 be the base line.

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... though I shouldn't take credit for the character. It's made by Rodolphe Langlois at Protofactor. I just do the (not so tough) job of optimizing it enough to work for mobile devices.

Progress is going well. I've got 7 more levels to build to finish the single player campaign. I want to spend a lot more time on playtesting and bug fixing though. On schedule for a late Q3 release of this year.

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Some more pics ... Here are the beastmen:

Toadman, Were-Rhino and Snakeman Assassin. All controllable NPC's at launch but one or more might end up being full playable characters as part of later DLC.

[​IMG]Beastmen 2 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

I'm starting to really like the shadows and lighting in the dungeon levels of the next game.

20. politicsasusual

politicsasusual Active Member

I'm a fan of option 2 myself; all of the colors still look vibrant the dungeon itself doesn't lose its charm, so to speak. Great progress so far, thanks for keeping us updated.