★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Corgi Pro Skater - Endless platformer

05-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Corgi Pro Skater - Endless platformer

Hi,

I would like to introduce you to the game I have been working on for the past few months : Skate Dogs.

It is inspired by Flappy Birds as well as Crossy Road. It is my first game as an indie and every comment is welcome. If people are interested I will continue posting some updates about development here.

Here is a short preview of the game in action.

Last edited by FAAM; 05-04-2016 at 01:45 AM.
05-01-2016, 12:22 PM
How much influence would you say the game SkateDog had on your game Skate Dogs? https://twitter.com/folmerkelly/stat...50854253912067

05-01-2016, 01:26 PM
I'm also familiar with Folmer Kelly's 'Skatedog' and this smells of shameless clone to me. If your going to make a similar game to someone at least have the decency to not so blatantly ape their games name!

Matthew Annal
Managing Director
E: mat@nitrome.com
W:www.nitrome.com
05-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Hi Colin,

That's a fair question
I have actually been working on this game for some months now, and it started from the idea of having a corgi riding a skateboard. The original name was actually "Corgi Pro Skater", and it's only when I chose to add more dogs to the roster that I changed the name.

Now I have done my research and I discovered, to my surprise, that someone was making a game similar to mine. But that is pure coincidence, actually if you look for "skate dog game" on google, you will be directed to this game : http://www.gamesgames.com/game/skate-dog
So I guess the idea isn't so original.

To answer to you, SkateDog didn't influence me in any way, and it actually made me a bit nerveous to find out that I was working on a project that seems so similar to someone's else project. But after a bit of examination, I think both games are only sharing the theme of dogs riding skateboards. The art style and gameplay feels very different to me and I think they do not need to compete (At least I hope!)

Hopefully, that explains that. Please keep up with your questions, I will be happy to answer them
05-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Ill give you the benefit of the doubt, can't say I'm 100% convinced though, the faces on the cactus look similar in style to the faces in Folmer Kellys version, amongst other similarities in the UI and flow.

But I have been accused of making a clone in the past when I didn't, I isn't a nice feeling, I hope this is genuinely a coincidence.

So a question regarding the game, When you are skating on a roof top, can you drop back down through the ledge. For example the death at the end of the video, could you have dropped down to avoid hitting the unjumpable stack of cacti?
05-01-2016, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAAM View Post
Hi Colin,

That's a fair question
I have actually been working on this game for some months now, and it started from the idea of having a corgi riding a skateboard. The original name was actually "Corgi Pro Skater", and it's only when I chose to add more dogs to the roster that I changed the name.

Now I have done my research and I discovered, to my surprise, that someone was making a game similar to mine. But that is pure coincidence, actually if you look for "skate dog game" on google, you will be directed to this game : http://www.gamesgames.com/game/skate-dog
So I guess the idea isn't so original.

To answer to you, SkateDog didn't influence me in any way, and it actually made me a bit nerveous to find out that I was working on a project that seems so similar to someone's else project. But after a bit of examination, I think both games are only sharing the theme of dogs riding skateboards. The art style and gameplay feels very different to me and I think they do not need to compete (At least I hope!)

Hopefully, that explains that. Please keep up with your questions, I will be happy to answer them
I'd still reach out to Folmer on Twitter and sort this out with him. Kinda like the two Dizzy Knight games, this seems best for everyone to sort it out amicably. Especially since Folmer's posted about Skatedog for a few months now, and you're probably gonna lose in the court of public opinion on this one.

Also, Corgi Pro Skater was a solid name.

I gave three and half stars to your favorite game.
05-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Thank you for your answer Colin!

Indeed it does not feel good to be accused of copying someone's work, but I completely understand where it comes from! To be honest with you, when I discovered Folmer Kelly's tweet about a game called SkateDog, I felt like I had been stolen my idea. This was because I actually tweeted to Rami Ismail about my game idea a few months back. (Here is the tweet: https://twitter.com/_FAAM_/status/66...085696/photo/1 )
But after seeing the other Skate Dog game, I just came to the realisation that it was simply not a very original idea and that I was never the first or the last person to think of a game with skating dog.

Concerning the similarities: This is my first game as a coder, I decided to make it the simplest game possible. So it ended up being a classic 2D platformer which is probably similar to a lot of games out there. About the UI and the flow? It is completely "stolen" but from Crossy Road. It is just so simple and efficient that I didn't think about reinventing it. You will see when I post another video that a lot of things are actually inspired by Crossy Road. About the art style? My main goal was to make it as cute as possible, with pusheen and adventure time as an inspiration. This is also close to my "personal" art style as it makes it easier to create assets.

This project is my first as an indie. It was never meant to be the most awesome and original idea. It is mostly about me learning how to use the tools to make games by myself, so that I can actually make cool and original games later on. But copying a another dev's game, wouldn't be a great learning experience. I understand that clones in the mobile game industry are a pain, and I hope my explanation will clarify this issue.

Now about the controls:
There is only two actions that you can do. Tap the screen and you can jump or double jump, or swipe down and you can either get back to the floor or go through the platforms. So yes, you are correct when you say that you would be able to go off the ledge. My levels are created randomly with blocks that are generated one after another. Since I decided to use the portrait mode only, I thought it would be interesting to concentrate on a vertical design. If you are in the middle of the screen, is it better to come back to the ground, or to try to jump? And to force the player to react and find the best path, instead of having them just randomly loose because they chose the wrong path.
05-02-2016, 01:35 AM
Your tweet with Rami helps clear the air for me and he gameplay seems like it has core differences.

I think the main bugbear for me from the start and still now is the name. Skatedogs seemed too coincidental a name after seeing similar gameplay.

As Wonderoushippo said the Dizzy Knight guys seemed to sort it out and one of them changed the name. Perhaps you should consider the same as I doubt any of this would have kicked off if the name had not been so similar?

Matthew Annal
Managing Director
05-02-2016, 02:13 AM
this game looks so cool
05-02-2016, 03:17 AM
BTW this is not officially announced yet but I feel it could be later seen as misleading if I don't say that Nitrome Have agreed to publish Folmer Kelly/Sets and Settings game 'Skatedog'. So there a interest from Nitrome in this thread beyond being a fellow game dev.

Matthew Annal
Managing Director