★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hiqup on special offer of $0.99 until end of September

09-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Hiqup on special offer of $0.99 until end of September

I only realised this site had a forum today, I've been subscribed to the RSS feed since it was launched. Thought I'd just pop in a quick message about Hiqup, my peg-jumping puzzle game (it's so much more than peg solitaire with bombs, teleports, blackholes and other features!) which is on sale until the end of September for $0.99 instead of $1.99. For more information, and a video of the game play, please see the following website:

http://www.hiqup.co.uk/

Or jump to it directly in iTunes using the following:

Hiqup

http://linktoapp.com/Hiqup

PS. Hope it's OK to post this here. If it isn't I'm sorry mods, please delete and I won't do it again. Promise.
09-17-2008, 06:19 AM
I was actually considering this at 1.19, but 0.59 was enough to push me off the fence!

Nice little puzzler there, the addition of the classic boards is a nice touch, but it is the addition of new board shapes and pegs that is more interesting. Coupled with an achievement system (I'm a sucker for these!) and it's a very replayable game.

Graphics are smooth, and iPhone integration is very good. It's a steal at 59p, good job.

09-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks different. The achievement system is there so everybody can feel like they're progressing, even if they're not completing each board fully, although on the higher levels getting a bronze is tougher. There's nothing as bad as getting a game, only to find it's impossible to get past the first level, especially when it's for casual gamers.

Glad you like it

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
09-17-2008, 07:59 AM
As far as whether or not this type of post is appropriate, it (IMHO) absolutely is, but only as long as you plan to interact with your users here. If it's just an advertisement, then I say no. But, hey, I'm not a mod.

As for your game, I haven't tried it, and must admit that I probably won't, even at only 99 cents, but that's only because the concept isn't terribly appealing to me. The game looks like it's well done, though. I hope you'll put out some more games. Anything in the works?
09-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
As far as whether or not this type of post is appropriate, it (IMHO) absolutely is, but only as long as you plan to interact with your users here. If it's just an advertisement, then I say no. But, hey, I'm not a mod.
More than happy to interact Like I said in my first post, I've been subscribed to the RSS feed on this site since day one and never realised there was a forum here. I'll be sure to stick around and interact, don't worry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
As for your game, I haven't tried it, and must admit that I probably won't, even at only 99 cents, but that's only because the concept isn't terribly appealing to me. The game looks like it's well done, though. I hope you'll put out some more games. Anything in the works?
No problem, I'm sure it's not everybody's cup of tea! I have another idea in the planning stage at the moment and will most likely start dev work on it in early October, once I'm happy with the premise.

09-17-2008, 07:52 PM
IMO I love it when there devs come here and post about their price drop. It really helps to know that the price is dropped cause I don't have time to check through every app to see if theres a price drop. I'm still kinda pissed that I missed the Gaia price drop cause I never knew about it (I so woulda bought it at $0.99).

But anyways loving the app so far.
09-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznChaos View Post
IMO I love it when there devs come here and post about their price drop. It really helps to know that the price is dropped cause I don't have time to check through every app to see if theres a price drop. I'm still kinda pissed that I missed the Gaia price drop cause I never knew about it (I so woulda bought it at $0.99).

But anyways loving the app so far.
It's difficult for devs to get the word out, especially for smaller entities and individuals, but it seems like touchArcade are cool with it so that helps a lot and over the last 24 hours it's become obvious to me that it gets a lot of traffic. Visibility is everything on this platform as it's being built on high volume, low prices - that's a huge problem for people like me, without a pit of money for advertising and promotion

I'm sure there are some wonderful games in the app store that nobody knows about because getting it in front of potential purchasers is difficult. Publicity is a requirement for any venture but when each sale is for so little, it becomes even more important to get as much of it as you can! The iTunes app store doesn't make it easy for you to be found so you have to look elsewhere.

Glad you like Hiqup

09-19-2008, 08:20 AM
I bought the game like I said I would and posted a review in the store under "Liker". It really is a well-polished little game. I have to ask, did you actually conceive all of the little puzzles? I couldn't imagine coming up with that stuff.
09-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmdowning42 View Post
I bought the game like I said I would and posted a review in the store under "Liker". It really is a well-polished little game. I have to ask, did you actually conceive all of the little puzzles? I couldn't imagine coming up with that stuff.
Thanks, glad you like it!

Yeah, I had to conceive all those puzzles which took quite a while. I have a stack of graph paper full of doodled boards with the workings out for each of them, and plenty of pages of ones that didn't work so well or were discounted

The only way I could do it was to draw them out and work them out on paper before adding them into the game. The biggest challenge was rating how difficult the boards were and I went through a process of printing out images of all the boards, arranging them in an order and tweaking them to get into a gradual increase of difficulty.

But doing all this means that I can 100% say that you can get gold on each board

EDIT: Do reviews take a while to appear? Can't seem to find yours, I presume it's on the US store?

Last edited by moopf; 09-19-2008 at 08:29 AM.
09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Hmmm, I've had trouble posting them before. It seemed to work, but I thought there was some kind of review process that delayed it being posted. Should be up by now. I'll try again tonight from iTunes rather than on my iPod. Ain't easy to pry the real computer out of my wife's hands though.

P.S a suggestion: This game should have a "restart" button on the opposite side from where the "pause" button is. I know that once I hit "pause" I can restart, but then I have to look at the "board details" again before I can keep playing. I'm not satisfied with the lesser medals so I restart the level A LOT, and I imagine lots of people would. I want a button that just pops all the pieces back to their original places immediately.

Last edited by davidmdowning42; 09-19-2008 at 01:10 PM.