Castle Cats - Control a cat army! By PocApp Studios

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PocApp Studios, May 20, 2016.

1. PocApp Studios

PocApp Studios Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    #1 PocApp Studios, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    [size=+2]RELEASE DATE JUNE 15TH 2017[/size]

[​IMG]

Hi everypawdy!:D

We started this thread in 2016 asking for feedback and beta testers for our idle-micromanagement game Castle Cats. Now almost exactly a year later we're finally ready for launch THIS JUNE 15TH!!!

----
    YOU’RE THE GUILD LEADER OF CATS
    - Recruit over 60 unique cat-heroes! Each with their own skills and traits!
    - Send out your recruits on heroic quests to restore Catania!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

CATS ARE MAGIC
    - Use Alchemy to craft the most unique of cats to your guild!
    - Spend your hard-earned loot to Upgrade and Evolve your cat-heroes and guild!
    - Cats fly, are snarky and burst into random frenzies. Deal with it!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

OVER 100 STORY QUESTS TO COMPLETE
    - The Evil Pugomancer won’t go down without a fight! Join the battles or chill – it’s all up to you!
    - Participate in Monthly Events with brand new heroes and additional Story Quests!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? Follow us on your chosen platform. Cat puns and news will be provided!:3
    - Main channels: Facebook & Instagram
    - Boring channel: Twitter & Francis's private channel: Francis Twitter
    - The wildlands: Reddit
    - Glorious landingpage: Website

IF YOU HAVE TIME...
    Please support us on Nouncy! Thank you!

DON'T LIKE CATS?! WHAT?! Join the Evil Pugomancer you evil spy! --> The Dark Side <-- Puppies for all!

//The Developaws of Castle Cats! <3

2. APPSER

APPSER Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Male
    Look very nice
    send please promo code ^)

3. PocApp Studios

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    #3 PocApp Studios, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Hi, Castle Cats is in TestFlight beta, if you PM me your email I can add you to it! :)

4. dwincelowicz

dwincelowicz Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Security
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm not sure what I expected.. more graphics or gameplay, maybe? I'm not sure. I'm a little disappointed that there's not any animation for quests and such.

5. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I already sent you feedback over TestFlight but let me do some more:

- I did. It know how to collect the resources at first. I repeatedly clicked on the bubbles instead of the things themselves.
    - I almost did not find the resources on the far right
    - then I have to agree with the post above: the gameplay is extemly basic and after 1-2 minutes you need to take a break of several minutes already. Everytime. The sidequests have no narrative at all, no combat/gameplay to speak of. As is it is basically "wait for timer y to run out and then start timer y" since and repeat. This is basically every f2p game out there minus the actual gameplay. I am baffled because...
    - ... The graphics look nice and there is a charm about this game that makes me really liking it. I just wish there was more to it. It is in fact so bare bone basic, that I just started it up again to see if I was missing something but I just could not find anything to do after like 3-4 minutes.

I think I am missing what your goal with this game is at the moment cause I highly doubt that in a market of f2p timers in most games, one would download and play a game with nothing more to do than manage timers. Again. This game has a wonderful vibe to it, it seems to be super quality on the surface but the gameplay is incredibly repetitive, one sided and just dull.

Sorry for the relatively harsh words, but I think honesty is the only thing that will help you guys.

I am looking forward to the changes you will make. It has potential.

6. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    #6 ludka33, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Minor issue. In the introductory bit, when you put the conan card into play it says something along the lines of "now it makes the chance" and then just cuts off.

Not a big deal, but still...

Also, I have to agree with the others here. I cleared rats, but there was nothing saying something cute and satisfying, like "The shopkeeper was thankful... And we got a good meal to boot!" Or some other similar type thing.

There also appears to be no reason why I'm gathering cats and doing good deeds. I love the idea of gathering cats and doing good deeds. I'd just like to know why.

7. PocApp Studios

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    #7 PocApp Studios, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Hi everyone! Thank you for taking the time to write feedback. It is very appreciated!

I just want to clear some things up:
    - Castle Cats is an idle-management game where the player builds their own "army" of cats in order to defeat The Evil Pugomancer.
    - The goal is therefor to 1) Collect cats and 2) Finish all story quests.

We are working on different ways to make the game more interactable but it will still have that same core idle feature. That means that it'll continue to have the format of a "check-in" game much like Neko Atsume but with a much bigger scope.

We will try to give the game a bigger sense of purpose by balancing the game further as well as make the story-element more apparent to the player.

Please don't hesitate to write if you have more feedback! :)

Best Regards,
    Tim

8. PocApp Studios

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    Hi!
    By animations and such - what do you mean? Could you give us an example of what you'd like to see?

Best,
    Tim

9. sindyan

sindyan Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Looks/sounds like a perfect game for me! With two kids, wife, my dog, and work it is hard to play hours and hours in a game. I can check in while going to the bathroom. The choice for cats as the heroes is very interesting. Did you see the news article/study about 6 months ago about cats? Summary; the cats would eat you if we weren't bigger. The Pugomancer is a good choice for the villain.

10. dwincelowicz

dwincelowicz Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Security
    Sarasota, FL
    Sure -

As an idle-management game, I was expecting maybe a small window appears, or the screen transitions to something we can watch as the Cats battle it out with whoever it is they're fighting. Or, if it's a gathering quest, maybe the Cat is shown digging for herbs, or mining, or whatever. Something to watch instead of a timer counting down to tell you whether you pass or fail, I guess.

Originally, I was kind of under the impression it was going to be more of an RPG or a guild manager with some battle elements as described above. I feel like adding some type of "action" we can watch, not even so much participate or interact with, would definitely add some good quality to this.

I'm not sure I have a good point of reference or example to provide you. The best I can say is.. being able to watch the characters in action would be great. Adding fun little emotes or something on the Cats as they progress through the quest they're assigned would be cool too.

Anyway.. I'll continue testing it. :)

11. PocApp Studios

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    I'm glad that you like the idea of the game and I hope you like the TestFlight Beta! Are you sure the cat needs to be bigger? I've been getting strange "I want to eat you" looks from my cat all week :confused:

Best,
    Tim

12. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    Another aspect I think would be nice would be a more interactive "home base". Something that I could add decoration to, or put some kind of boost buildings or such.

I'd like to feel that I'm building something, as opposed to just scrolling back and forth among the same few buildings.

13. PocApp Studios

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    Hi, Dwincelowicz!
    I understand what you're saying and as I mentioned before we've started to explore more ways to improve the features with the feedback we are receiving.
    If you have more suggestions please don't hesitate to reach out! :)

Thank you!

Best,
    Tim

14. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    Hey Tim!

I was hoping you can give us some more specific feedback on our feedback. It's hard to offfer advice when we're not sure if any of it is going to be used. As of now, I've seen 4 or 5 really good ideas here, and I'd be willing to suggest more--as a continuation of those ideas--but we don't know if any of our suggestions are going to make it into the next update of the game. All we're getting is a "thanks, we'll think about it."

As it is, I feel like we've reached a point where little more can be said. The game just isn't deep enough to add more thoughts. The artwork is lovely, the characters are cute, and the gameplay is nonexistant. Unfortunately, there isn't enough depth in the game to offer any more thoughts beyond what was mentioned.

Please let us know your thoughts!

-Ludka

15. Bethor

Bethor Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2015
    I really enjoyed the artwork from the game. I did however wish there was more to it than just sending cats out and waiting. A lot of games when you send people out you'll Will still see them interacting with the environment I believe The Avengers Academy is a great game to look at for this. Whenever you send an avenger out on a quest you will see them doing the quest in the screen.

Another thing that was really hard was upgrading. I feel like in order to pad the game upgrading was made very difficult. I did a lot of quests to get the materials to upgrade (Some I wasn't ready for because of not having the right cat skills but nothing else was available.) and then after upgrading as much as I could I had to wait a long time just to upgrade the cats level. Once again I would like you to look at the Avengers Academy upgrading the characters is fair and it gives you a goal that is achievable.

With a little extra artwork and adjusting what is required for upgrading I think the game can be a lot of fun

After all the playing I did I never got past level two with the cats. It's really hard to grind one the payout is so little you feel like you're spinning your tires and I'm going anywhere. I do believe with some tweaking this can be a very fun game so keep up the good work.

16. PocApp Studios

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    #16 PocApp Studios, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Hi Ludka,

You're absolutely right. I was about to write this today because we are uploading a new update as we speak :)

I can start list the things we have fixed in form of bugs and general fixes that you guys found and suggested:

- We've made it easier to understand and collect materials, the hitbox is bigger and we included how to get the rare materials in the tutorial as suggested.
    - The tutorial text doesn't "cut" off anymore.
    - We had a game breaking bug that removed the cats who were on quest (about 3-4 people got this bug) but it should never happen again.
    - We've re-done some parts of the tutorial that people had problems with. E.g. people were confused when to press highlighted buttons.
    - We've also changed the currency for buying upgrades. Now you can upgrade stations/cats with materials instead of gold. The gold is now only used to buy new cats and this will make it easier to collect cats. This needs to be tested and balanced right though.
    - We've added more information/trivia about the cats in the Catbook. You will only be able to see the trivia if you have collected that cat. This makes it more fun to collect new cats because you learn new and cool stuff about them (hint: they are puns).

[​IMG]

This will be available in a update for you to try today or tomorrow.

--
    Regarding the gameplay.
    You're saying that the gameplay is non-existent and I don't think that's true. The gameplay is to collect cats, send them of on quest, collect rewards, upgrade the farming stations/cats and repeat, it's an idle gameplay genre.

What some of you are suggesting is a more active gameplay (e.g. the cats have a fighting animation or the player can control the cats when they are on quest etc) and that's kind of a big feature which needs more time and iteration.
    But, with the feedback we've been getting we understand that the players want more to do while waiting for quests to finish and we think the idea (Ludka) about decorating the main area is good and one way to do it.

These are things we will implement soon:
    - Interact with the cats in form of: Pet, feed, emotions and moving them around.
    - Interact with almost everything, à la Hearthstone.
    - More crafting: We are thinking about something that would fit the theme and the gameplay, like potion crafting to use as power-ups for quests, much like the Speed Potion. These materials could for example be collected from flowers and other similar things that you decorate the main area with (Ludka).

As I said, the update is waiting to be reviewed by Apple and should be up soon :)

Best,
    Tim

17. catathletics

catathletics Member

May 23, 2016
    Please add a story book so we could review the story if we wanted to. As of now story progress is very slow and you only get a sentence or two per quest. With the story book we could always read the story up to the point we have achieved.

18. PocApp Studios

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    Yes, the storybook is in our backlog and hopefully we can add it next week in a new update :)

Best,
    Tim

19. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    Thanks Tim!

I like the new update. One minor thing I'd suggest: in the cat-alogue, it seems like it'd be more intuitive to swipe to flip pages between the different cats. Also, maybe add a second page with stats on it? How many quests attempted, quests completed, time spent as an active member of the guild vs inactive, etc. That sort of thing.

20. PocApp Studios

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    Sweet!
    Yes, swipe to flip pages will be added in a future update :) Cool idea with the stats, we hadn't actually thought about that one. We only save the stats for our own analytics.

Best,
    Tim