★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Frantic Ball - Upcoming Marble Run Game

View Poll Results: Think you would like Frantic Ball?
OOOOOH YEAH! Me LIKEY! 3 42.86%
Sure. I'm game. 3 42.86%
meh. 1 14.29%
Not for me. 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll
05-22-2016, 02:31 AM
Frantic Ball - Teaser Trailer Added

Hi everybody! I'm thrilled to start sharing about my new game currently in development - Frantic Ball.

Have you ever seen any of those kinetic sculptures where the balls roll along a track, branching here and there, until they reach the bottom only to be brought back to the top and start all over again? If you have, then you get the basic premise of Frantic Ball. I love them. I find them mesmerizing. In the game, the player has to grab a ball when it reaches the danger zone and drop it back at the start of the track. Easy, right? Here's the catch - every ten seconds a new ball is added to the track. Let three balls drop and it's game over.

There are other mechanics, like power ups, unlockable balls, untouchaballs (which, as the name implies, you can't grab but must let fall to their death), missions and more. All of this takes place across 6 different themed worlds. I've got a science lab, a dino island, and (as you can see below) a dragon castle.

Here is an early gameplay video. I'm building out a lot more, cleaning up some of the lighting to make things pop more and adding in some other goodies.

I've written a couple of articles about the game that are on Unity's site. Is this something you think you'd enjoy? I'm having a blast making it.

I'd love to hear what you think.

Thanks for reading! I"ll post more development stuff as I progress.

Last edited by Fish alan; 06-13-2016 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Updating title to indicate addition of teaser trailer
05-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Here's a little more about Frantic Ball. One of the things that I am trying to accomplish in the game is to not only have interesting and fun tracks for the balls to roll about on but also to have those tracks live in fun worlds that feel alive.

Each of the worlds has its own theme and little population that lives there. Some of the characters react directly to what is happening in the game while others just go about their business, oblivious to the player (just like in real life!).

The prototype level that I built (which is making it into the final version of the game as the first world) is Bunny Mountain. Two of the inhabitants of this world are - you guessed it - bunnies. There are also little birds that fly about whenever a ball gets near them.

The animations for these guys were a lot of fun and, I think, help bring the game to life.

More to come...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bunny.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	103342   Click image for larger version

Name:	littleBird.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	103343  

05-25-2016, 02:59 AM
Here's a shot of one of the worlds. It's the "Dino Island". It's a lot of fun when everything starts moving around.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jungleBuild1h.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	679.9 KB
ID:	103402  
05-25-2016, 06:41 PM
Here is a view of the track from the first world. It is a bottom up, dramatic angle (not as it will be viewed by the player in the game). It helps me to look at the track from different angles to avoid any confusion or potential collision issues.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	track1BottomUp.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	103441  
05-26-2016, 02:10 AM
Wow! This actually looks great
Looking forward to release.
05-27-2016, 01:49 AM
Thanks, @TheGreatEscaper! I'm glad you like it so far.

Here is some more art, a detail from the "Dragon Castle" world. The dragon reacts warmly whenever a ball rolls past him.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dragonCastle1.jpg
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	103509   Click image for larger version

Name:	dragonCastle2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	103510  
05-28-2016, 02:21 AM
Here's another character from the Winter Land. As you go about your business, he just does his thing. SLIDE!

05-31-2016, 01:01 AM
Kong sits atop Dino Island, watching, waiting, judging. Yeah, they never talked about that much but he really was a very judgmental ape.

Here's a animation test I did for him. Now you can judge him!

06-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Here are some development shots. I start out with a quick sketch to get some ideas of paths and the underlying structures down. It's hard to tell how everything will layout exactly, but it gives me a good idea of what the level might look like from the player's perspective.

After that, I start blocking in the paths. During this entire phase, I'm keeping in mind a rough idea of what the supporting structure will look like.

Now, it's white boxing time! Again, this really rough and quick and helps me get a feel for placement of the buildings. I can also easily adjust any paths if I see that I'm running into structural impossibilities or any camera angle issues.

More to come...
06-01-2016, 08:45 PM
This is fascinating, thanks for all the detailed previews. I also loved watching those things (and thinking about building them), I'll be looking forward to how it works as a game concept. Either way, it'll be fun to watch.

Do you have a builder mode planned?