★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Cyril Jarnot
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 67.0 MB
  • Version: 1.4
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (2)
App description: CARRIER BATTLES FOR GUADALCANAL is a 1-player historical wargame covering the naval-air battles in the South Pacific in 1942-43

Play the US side against a powerful Japanese AI opponent
Find the Japanese and strike at them before they sink your precious carriers and prevent them from invading key points in New Guinea and in the Solomon Islands

This is a living app with new features each month :-)

Main features:
- A classic hex-and-counter wargame
- A nice on-boarding sequence will guide the player to the depth of the game
- 6 historical scenarios from The Battle of the Coral Sea in May 42 to the Battle of the Bismarck Sea in March 43
- Hex map with a scale of 30 miles per hex
- 27 types of warplanes
- Historical ships
- Naval-air search, progressive intelligence gathering on enemy naval forces
- Air strikes against naval and land targets
- Surface battles
- Advanced damage system
- Invasion, naval bombardment
- Radar
- Turn-based system
- Available in English and in French
- No internet connection required to play
- NOT RECOMMENDED FOR IPAD 2 as they may encounter some performance and crashes

In-app purchases:
- A set of what-ifs for the scenarios in order to test the effects of some likely events. Ex: what would happen if the Japanese had committed their whole carrier forces to invade Port Moresby, what-if the Saratoga was repaired on time for the battle of Midway, etc...

A lot of new features are planned:
- more 1943 scenarios
- Campaign game from February 42 to January 44
- 2-players game
- US AI vs Japanese player

The duration of a game is about 1-3 hours

Contact and support : carrier.battles@yahoo.com
Forum : http://cbfg.xooit.org/index.php

scarypharaoh's comments:


Looks very hardcore, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Bruce Geryk recommended it on Twitter and when he says something about a war game I sit up and listen.
05-23-2016, 10:36 AM
#2
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 242
A lot of work has gone into this. A complex hex-based boardgame but with the computer handling die rolls and chart calculations behind the scenes. There is much information to take in, especially regarding unit stats on the counters, though, helpfully, the manual and well structured tutorials are very clear and concise; so there is not too much reading required. The playability of these types of games depends a lot on the interface and this is just about the cleanest and most efficient digital interface I've seen.

05-25-2016, 06:03 PM
#3
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 635
You've got my attention
05-25-2016, 07:34 PM
#4
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,962
Very tempted.

I tried to get my pals to play AH's Flat Top many years ago but in vain. Then came Carriers At War...You can see I am a Pacific naval war nut.

But CoMKL and Romancing Saga 2...

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
05-25-2016, 09:14 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
Very tempted.

I tried to get my pals to play AH's Flat Top many years ago but in vain. Then came Carriers At War...You can see I am a Pacific naval war nut.

But CoMKL and Romancing Saga 2...
Me too. I always play the Pacific in Battle Fleet 2 which became one of my favorite iOS games for a while. I love naval games. It reminds me of playing games off of 5.25" discs on a PC with a CGA monitor. I couldn't get enough of naval war games back then.

This one has me tempted. It has so much that I like.

Last edited by mzinn; 05-25-2016 at 09:35 PM.
05-25-2016, 10:32 PM
#6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,962
Bought, running through the tutorial which explains every counters and operations as such. Reminds me a lot of old-school hex-based wargaming. It seems like very much to be my appetite. Will report back here and PT later.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention one nice touch: the game using the board and counters to replay the event over Pearl Harbor as the unskippable inoro. And I am giving it 5 Stars if it has US AI and mulitplayer (async online would be great)

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)

Last edited by currymutton; 05-25-2016 at 10:38 PM.
05-26-2016, 02:32 AM
#7
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,962
Still enjoying the tutorial, it is quite long and you get hands on. Lost my first carrier (tutorial) battle at Coral Sea.

Recall a lot of good old memories back in the Carriers At War days. More later.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
05-26-2016, 08:49 AM
#8
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
Still enjoying the tutorial, it is quite long and you get hands on. Lost my first carrier (tutorial) battle at Coral Sea.

Recall a lot of good old memories back in the Carriers At War days. More later.

Thanks for imps
Think I'll pick it up tonight

It's funny my kindle has become my bookshelf & my iPad has become my board game shelf.
05-26-2016, 08:50 AM
#9
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 242
This certainly evokes memories of cardboard wargaming, but without all the set-up, calculating, and record keeping. Once familiar with the sequence of play it is all fairly straightforward, and I can concentrate on trying different strategies: Although I still go back to read some of the tutorials between games to remind myself of the smaller details. That in itself is enjoyable as the tutorials are so well written and illustrated.

I'm learning that timing of attacks is important so as not to have aircraft returning to my carriers after dark, and thus increasing the risk of accidental landing damage.
05-26-2016, 02:40 PM
#10
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronsay View Post
This certainly evokes memories of cardboard wargaming, but without all the set-up, calculating, and record keeping. Once familiar with the sequence of play it is all fairly straightforward, and I can concentrate on trying different strategies: Although I still go back to read some of the tutorials between games to remind myself of the smaller details. That in itself is enjoyable as the tutorials are so well written and illustrated.

I'm learning that timing of attacks is important so as not to have aircraft returning to my carriers after dark, and thus increasing the risk of accidental landing damage.
Thanks so much for the insight!