★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Celebrating Ludwig's 171st birthday with a sale!

"Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a great port of a really cool castle building board game." TouchArcade

"A diverting tile-laying game. Excellent series of puzzles and tough AI." PocketGamer

Ted Alspach's castle-building board game comes alive on iOS! The winner of the prestigious 2015 Mensa Mind Games award tasks players with building extravagant castles for King Ludwig of Bavaria. Castles are constructed one room at a time, with a different player each round setting the prices for the others, resulting in a competitive, engaging game where building is as much fun as winning!

Choose your strategy carefully as you compete against your friends or AI (computer) opponents. Or take on the Campaign, and travel to 15 real-life castle sites, each with up to 3 unique Crown Goals, providing hours of fun and challenge.

Two to Four Player Pass-and-Play/Computer Matches
Campaign Mode with Levels based on Real Castle Sites
Training Tower Levels teach Game Basics
Help System with Illustrated Rules, Tips, and Tile Reference
75 Different Room Tiles
Game Center Achievements
Orchestral Soundtrack
Share Your Castle on Twitter, Facebook, and more

* For best user experience, an iPhone 6/6s or larger or iPad is recommended. The original iPad and iPhone 4s and earlier are not supported. *
05-24-2016, 07:27 AM
I love Suburbia and I have high hopes for this game.

Follow me at @bitGamerX for video game news and reviews.

My favorite video game genres include adventure, board, 4X, roguelike, space sims, and strategy games.

05-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Suburbia is a good board game, this looks like a fun re-theming of it.
05-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojtitus View Post
Suburbia is a good board game, this looks like a fun re-theming of it.
It is made by the same designer, but there are enough differences to justify owning both (physical copies that is, of course I don't know how this digital version will play). Both involve buying and placing tiles from a market, however the way the tiles interact with each other, and the way players interact is what differentiates the games. When playing in person Suburbia can become a bit complex when trying to consider some of the interactions amongst the tiles, especially in a 4 player game towards the end. Ludwig is considered to be the simpler of the two with increased player interaction.
05-24-2016, 09:37 PM
Suburbia digital version is a piece of train wreck. Mulitplayer is definitely broken, and the single player is still plagued with bugs wasting a very interesting IP

But I am happy to report that CoMKL is a much better deal. No crash, no game-stopping bugs, a long but quite details tutorial set. A single player campaign and individual matches against AI. The only gripe is that there is only pass-and-play.

Pocket Tactics gives it 4/5 stars
BGG has an interview with the developer (note the singular).

If you love such game, this is a must-buy.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
05-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
Suburbia digital version is a piece of train wreck. Mulitplayer is definitely broken, and the single player is still plagued with bugs wasting a very interesting IP

But I am happy to report that CoMKL is a much better deal. No crash, no game-stopping bugs, a long but quite details tutorial set. A single player campaign and individual matches against AI. The only gripe is that there is only pass-and-play.

Pocket Tactics gives it 4/5 stars
BGG has an interview with the developer (note the singular).

If you love such game, this is a must-buy.

Agree completely about Suburbia. I've still got it on my iPad but everytime I boot it up & play I dump out. Glad to hear this is more what I've been wanting.
05-25-2016, 02:22 PM
That funny because I don't have an issue with Suburbia playing the campaign or in multiplayer.

Follow me at @bitGamerX for video game news and reviews.

My favorite video game genres include adventure, board, 4X, roguelike, space sims, and strategy games.
05-25-2016, 03:08 PM
I really enjoy both games for what they are and I only play single player offline games, so these work for me.
05-25-2016, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
That funny because I don't have an issue with Suburbia playing the campaign or in multiplayer.
Hmmm. Maybe I need a clean install. It's been a while.
05-25-2016, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzinn View Post
Hmmm. Maybe I need a clean install. It's been a while.
Just did a clean install on Monday on my iPad Mini 2 with latest iOS. The income marker went wrong after a couple of turns in single player campaign. May be it was just bad luck

Sorry for the off-topic.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)