★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gaming device of choice

06-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Gaming device of choice

I was always an avid ipad gamer, playing on iphone only very casual games like endless runners (which work better on small screen). However, since I got myself an iphone 6 I've been digging playing on that, barely touching my ipad for gaming.

Anyone else feel the same? Which you prefer? Iphones are so much more comfortable playing on bed at night. However, some games are cramped or not as visually astonishing. However, some are prettier on feel right as iphone games, like Goblin Sword.
06-02-2016, 10:58 AM
I started iOS gaming with an iPod Touch 2/3, upgraded to an iPad 2 when it came out, and never looked back.
Same experience with the upgrade from 2 to Air and Retina display, no way I want to go back.
I even want more screen estate, so an iPad Pro is next on the list

Could never go back to playing on a smaller screen, that just feels so cramped and restricted; especially for the RPGs and Strategy/Tactics games I prefer to play.

And I use my Air in bed a lot, works perfectly fine. I do see that the Pro might cause some problems there because it's twice the size of an Air; and the larger display gives off more light, so I might keep my girlfriend awake

06-02-2016, 11:45 PM
Gotta agree with Nullzone. I also started with a Touch 2Gen (still have the latest but a pda mostly) but once I switched to an iPad I just didn't get the same experience when going back to a smaller screen (on any gaming device). I still play card or word games mainly when I'm out n' about on the Touch and it still holds it value but any serious gaming is reserved for the iPad. Perhaps since its a newer device you like using the smaller screen? Overall it comes down to ones own personal preference and to respect their choice.
06-03-2016, 05:59 AM
Might be due to the fact that is a new device, Coldar.

However, some games in fact work better on the small screen, in my opinion, like endless runners, Goblin Sword and games that relie on gyroscope.
06-03-2016, 08:29 AM
I agree that some games do work better or can only be played on a smaller screen size. Some platform games come to mind such as Goblin Sword that use arrows for controls. For those I usually will play on the Nexus 7 but if not then I revert to the Touch.
06-04-2016, 01:58 AM
iPhone 6+ is "mostly" the best considering portability and real estate for games, is my opinion. With a jailbreak, I even run some ipad only games on my iPhone. The ultimate portable gaming device really.

I wouldn't go back down to a 6 only. not even for the one hander comfort. 6+ just has too much going for it with the real estate.
My opinion
06-04-2016, 05:09 AM
Hm lets see
Gameboy,Ps1, Dreamcast,N64,Ps2,Xbox360,PC, PSP, Nintendo DS, Wii, iPod touch 2nd gen, IPad

Yeah have to admit these days it's usually the tablet. But yeah iPod touch was pretty nice compact size.
06-04-2016, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
iPhone 6+ is "mostly" the best considering portability and real estate for games, is my opinion. With a jailbreak, I even run some ipad only games on my iPhone. The ultimate portable gaming device really.

I wouldn't go back down to a 6 only. not even for the one hander comfort. 6+ just has too much going for it with the real estate.
My opinion
I think I would like the 6+ even more, now that I have an iphone 6 and Apple's case.

I was worried about portability.
06-05-2016, 02:02 PM
I found the controls for Goblin Sword better on the iPhone, but for pretty much everything else, my iPad is my device of choice.
06-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
I found the controls for Goblin Sword better on the iPhone, but for pretty much everything else, my iPad is my device of choice.
I think this control scheme works best for iphones. Another example is Zombieville.

Lifeline is also better on iphone.