★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Any games offer multiple pay models?

06-09-2016, 07:15 AM
Any games offer multiple pay models?

Curious if any games offer the option to "choose your own pay model"? Buy the full game, or choose f2p with ads, or choose to have a timer etc... If there are any, how did it do in sales?

I saw that Neowars has a unique structure and it made me wonder why it has to be one way or the other. I understand game structure and design might be complicated, to be able to have multiple structures. Maybe too complicated.

Last edited by ashmike3; 06-09-2016 at 07:18 AM.
06-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmike3 View Post
Curious if any games offer the option to "choose your own pay model"? Buy the full game, or choose f2p with ads, or choose to have a timer etc... If there are any, how did it do in sales?

I saw that Neowars has a unique structure and it made me wonder why it has to be one way or the other. I understand game structure and design might be complicated, to be able to have multiple structures. Maybe too complicated.
Loads of games are now running a F2P model with a premium unlock, but I think one of the best examples out there at the moment is Leap Day, by Nitrome. It's a platformer with checkpoints, which can be paid for using in-game currency (if you can collect enough) or by watching an ad - or you can unlock all checkpoints for a one-time premium purchase. I reckon Nitrome have absolutely nailed it with this one: it is a really good compromise between the formats.
06-09-2016, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post
Loads of games are now running a F2P model with a premium unlock, but I think one of the best examples out there at the moment is Leap Day, by Nitrome. It's a platformer with checkpoints, which can be paid for using in-game currency (if you can collect enough) or by watching an ad - or you can unlock all checkpoints for a one-time premium purchase. I reckon Nitrome have absolutely nailed it with this one: it is a really good compromise between the formats.
I like the trend, if it is a trend. Played Neowars for a minute and there's does most options as well. They have a unique one, where a bar fills up as you play and watch ads to get "gear". When the bar is full it says it unlocks "paid version".