★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Marketing Advice Needed!

06-14-2016, 09:17 PM
Marketing Advice Needed!

Hey guys! We're an indie team here, who lacks experience on marketing
So here's this thread trying to get some advice and help.

There's a game of ours, which is called 44 Chairs. There was a 800+ number of download one day, and the average downloads is around 300 now. We haven't done much on marketing, the only two times that it has been exposed is by 2 Chinese media, I think that was how it got the 800 downloads.

It's been doing quite good to us. Now we want to give it a try on getting more exposure, mainly on Europe and US market. But it has been released for over a month, out of the new release section now. I think that is why it didn't get a good rank because we did't think it could get that far so missed the chance.

Don't want to just sit and see another opportunity missed.
What should we do now? With barely any budget.
Any suggestion would be precious to us, thanks!!

Last edited by goldlogsh; 06-15-2016 at 12:02 AM.
06-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Updates give your app store ratings a boost. Are you recording any stats about your game? Like retention of players for instance? Do you have adverts in game, or is it a bought app? More details!

06-15-2016, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgl_sam View Post
Updates give your app store ratings a boost. Are you recording any stats about your game? Like retention of players for instance? Do you have adverts in game, or is it a bought app? More details!
It's free with banner. We only have basic stats. Impression and app units.

Some people said they can't tell how the game works by description and screenshots. I think that's why the download/impression rate is not so high. Maybe I'll have to work on the landing page first.
06-17-2016, 06:45 AM
Without any budget there are ways you can promote your game. Being present here in TA is a good start, think about other possible channels like Reddit, Indie database etc. Where are the people present who might be interested in your game?
Take part in discussions regarding gamedev, indiedev, gaming etc. Help others and ask them to give tips for your game.
Have social media covered and start releasing your own content from the game: e.g. your own lets plays, screenshotsaturdays, gamedev videos etc. Start writing a game development blog and release it in your own website and from there share it to other channels (be it your own or others). Getting reviews from gamedev press or coverage by Youtube channels never hurt nobody.

Google and read stuff on how to market your game with 0 budget, you will find that this topic has a lot of discussion surrounding it.
In the long run start to build a community around your game team and games.

You can do all of this, it will take time, so start by taking small steps and then gradually adding more stuff to gain exposure.

These are just few things that you can do to gain exposure, so as I said start reading those articles and discussions regarding game marketing on 0 budget.

Hope this helps, wish you all the best for your game projects, cheers!
06-17-2016, 10:59 PM
Thanks Scandalff! These help a lot!

We have started on twitter and reddit. Posting some graphics or animation we do. A reddit discussion similar to this one on TA has got some help as well. Can't agree with you more on helping with each other. And I'm really grateful for you guys out there!

Sending e-mails to reviews sites and bloggers are one of the most popular options. But barely anyone talked about sending e-mails along to AppStore (official work account of course since not much has personal connection with app editors). I wonder is it a zero possible way to try? All are these e-mail address of AppStore are fake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandalff View Post
Without any budget there are ways you can promote your game. Being present here in TA is a good start, think about other possible channels like Reddit, Indie database etc. Where are the
people present who might be interested in your game?
Take part in discussions regarding gamedev, indiedev, gaming etc. Help others and ask them to give tips for your game.
Have social media covered and start releasing your own content from the game: e.g. your own lets plays, screenshotsaturdays, gamedev videos etc. Start writing a game development blog and release it in your own website and from there share it to other channels (be it your own or others). Getting reviews from gamedev press or coverage by Youtube channels never hurt nobody.

Google and read stuff on how to market your game with 0 budget, you will find that this topic has a lot of discussion surrounding it.
In the long run start to build a community around your game team and games.

You can do all of this, it will take time, so start by taking small steps and then gradually adding more stuff to gain exposure.

These are just few things that you can do to gain exposure, so as I said start reading those articles and discussions regarding game marketing on 0 budget.

Hope this helps, wish you all the best for your game projects, cheers!
06-18-2016, 04:36 AM
IMO, don't be too excited.
My friend did an experiment on Google Play, by selling 12 small games (mostly clones of famous games)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sual+Game+Labs
He said there's one game (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tower.stacking ) that suddenly got 10x downloads more than the rest.
But there's nothing special about it. It's just a clone, just like the others.
He can't understand why it got that number of downloads. It's purely luck.
So don't be over-excited and think that your game has anything special. It might be because you're lucky to win a particular search keyword
06-20-2016, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteking View Post
IMO, don't be too excited.
My friend did an experiment on Google Play, by selling 12 small games (mostly clones of famous games)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sual+Game+Labs
He said there's one game (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tower.stacking ) that suddenly got 10x downloads more than the rest.
But there's nothing special about it. It's just a clone, just like the others.
He can't understand why it got that number of downloads. It's purely luck.
So don't be over-excited and think that your game has anything special. It might be because you're lucky to win a particular search keyword
That's almost the exact Stack!

Maybe it got spread by words of mouths. And the graphics looks nice. I would absolutely give it a try if I have no idea it was a clone of something else.
I think that's how all the clone games survive. Idea of the games are nice, all you have to do is work on the graphics.

So that's purely his experiment? An experiment to see if clone games could survive?
06-20-2016, 03:44 AM
My point is that a game might perform much better than others not because its content is better, but because it's luckier in term of ASO.
So be careful when you decide to spend money on user acquisition. It might not work well
06-21-2016, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteking View Post
My point is that a game might perform much better than others not because its content is better, but because it's luckier in term of ASO.
So be careful when you decide to spend money on user acquisition. It might not work well

Can't agree with you more. And because we don't have much budget at first place, that's why social media of our owns is the way we're doing now.

But a real unique original game will get popular some day, even without huge marketing strategy. (trying to convince myself to that
06-21-2016, 11:40 PM
You never want to spend money on user acquisition especially if your game is not heavy on IAP.

-The icon and first two screenshots are so important.
-Add an App Preview if you can they are pretty simple to make.
-Easy landing page http://galacticthumb.com
-Promo on twitter, instagram youtube and posts on popular forums.
-keywords, are so important this also explains some weird trends on cloned games for android..

Word of mouth is the main source of downloads, if the game is quality people will tell others. Make sure you have a good sharing mechanism in game.

Other options include going to a publisher, or paying a youtube/instagram influencer.