★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: You are a lone adventurer in a strange, non-Euclidean world. Gather as much treasure as you can before the nasty monsters get you. Explore about 40 different lands, each with its own unique treasures, enemies, terrain obstacles, and mechanics which challenge your tactical and navigation skills. Your quest is to find the legendary treasure, the Orbs of Yendor. Collect one of them to win! Or just ignore your quest and collect smaller treasures.

The twist is the unique, unusual geometry of the world: it is one of just few games which takes place on the hyperbolic plane. Witness a grid composed of hexagons and heptagons, straight lines which seem to be parallel, but then they diverge and never cross, triangles whose angles add up to less than 180 degrees, how extremely unlikely is it to reach the same place twice, and how the world seems to be rotated when you do return. All this matters for the gameplay. The game is inspired by the roguelike genre (although in a very minimalist way), works of M. C. Escher, and by puzzle games such as Deadly Rooms of Death.

Royce's comments:

Here is a video of the PC version. It's been out for over a year on Steam, etc.

Youtube link | Pop Up
06-23-2016, 10:18 AM
Whoa! This looks pretty awesome! Any imps?

My screen name is misunderstood. I am not some arrogant person who thinks he's so cool. Cool, because I like cold weather and Pepper because I'm hot.

Game Center: BakedCracker

06-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
Whoa! This looks pretty awesome! Any imps?
I've only been playing it for a few minutes. The game itself is pretty outstanding and there is a ton of content in terms of different lands with different properties. The presentation isn't exactly ultra glossy. It's pretty obvious it was ported over from PC (menus are pretty tiny for example)(though it has been on Android as well for some time). The controls work well however and there is nothing else quite like this game out there. You should check out the steam page or the google play page for the game. It has a ton of very positive reviews.

There does seem to be a display issue on my phone (6S with latest iOS) where everything is squished a bit to one side, but I just emailed the developer about it.

It's too late.

Last edited by Royce; 06-23-2016 at 10:52 AM.
06-23-2016, 10:11 PM
This game comes from Steam and it is awesome

http://store.steampowered.com/app/342610/
06-23-2016, 10:47 PM
I heard back from the dev and he is looking into the display issue. Despite some of the display issues, and I'm not sure how many of them are this bug and how many are just this game not being optimized for a small screen (a screen for instance that I believe shows progress unlocking the various worlds is so insanely small that I would need a microscope and some NSA enhancement program to have any hope of reading it), I would encourage anyone with interest in this game to pick it up. It's really very good and quite unique. Every land you wander into has not only completely different enemies, but completely different mechanics. It's almost like every land is its own new game. The Alchemy Lab for instance had blue and red tiles and you can't cross from the one type to the other. Enemies also come in both colors and are restricted to their color tiles. However, killing one splashes his color around him, changing paths and potentially changing the color of tiles you are traversing. That's just one example and there are 40 of them.

It's too late.
06-28-2016, 05:12 PM
I love this game on Steam so I snagged it immediately.

While I'm glad to see he's ported the game, there is no denying it's pretty rough at this stage. I'm not usually one to whine about icons, but the current one just doesn't work for me. I can't even tell the little white blip in the middle is supposed to be the character from the game, instead it looks like some starscape unrelated to game.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
06-28-2016, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I love this game on Steam so I snagged it immediately.

While I'm glad to see he's ported the game, there is no denying it's pretty rough at this stage. I'm not usually one to whine about icons, but the current one just doesn't work for me. I can't even tell the little white blip in the middle is supposed to be the character from the game, instead it looks like some starscape unrelated to game.
Yeah the icon is no good, and it certainly won't help discovery in the AppStore where it basically just looks like a black square. A single ice tile or something would be much better.

The game is amazing, but I wish some of the menus and the UI were better optimized for small screens. I haven't tried it on my iPad yet, but I'm sure it looks much better on a larger screen.

I found the guide on steam incredibly useful so I thought I would post a link to it here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=390176864

It's too late.
06-29-2016, 01:54 AM
This just got an update. Does it fix all of everyone's issues?

My screen name is misunderstood. I am not some arrogant person who thinks he's so cool. Cool, because I like cold weather and Pepper because I'm hot.

Game Center: BakedCracker
06-29-2016, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
This just got an update. Does it fix all of everyone's issues?
It fixed my display issue. The game looks a million times better now, and while I still think the text is quite small is some menu screens, everything is at least much more readable.

It's too late.
06-29-2016, 06:50 AM
Thanks for discussing HyperRogue!

The icon is indeed very old... I'll think about creating a better one. Maybe something based on a newer land, with better scaling?