★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: In Heroes Guard: The Journal, you are a weary and weathered adventurer.

All of your questing and dungeon plundering days are behind you - but that doesnt mean your stories of hardships and triumphs need be forgotten! By filling this journal with your memories you will allow some of your greatest feats and failures to live on.

You do remember how your life story went... dont you?

Praise from the Beta Testers:

- "You've got a solid hit for a contender!"

- "I played the crap out of it last night and had a good time"

- "combining CYOA with RPG and CCG is really awesome!"

- "absolutely love the game"

- "Excellent gameplay, fantastic story"

- "neat way to get younger people to read more!"

- "REALLY enjoyed the game!"

Best described as a hybrid of choice-based interactive fiction, a deck-building card game, and a solitaire table-top roleplaying session.

You'll make important story decisions, roll dice to test your abilities, collect weapons, magic, and companions to be used in a card game that will reveal the outcome of your most devastating encounters!

Key features that make Heroes Guard different from most interactive fiction titles:

+ Card-Battle System: Use the magic, weapons, and companions gathered through the story to defeat powerful foes. Perhaps you'll squash that giant spider with your war hammer or perhaps it's a better idea to blast it from afar with a fireball? Your choice, your strategy!

+ Dynamic Short-Stories: Adventure on an interactive map with random events. Each event is a short-story that will put your strength, dexterity, intelligence, and charisma to the test! Careful, as each short-story can escalate if left unattended and eventually will consume the towns you are meant to protect.

+ Life Chronicle: In Heroes Guard you are a old, weathered adventurer recalling all his past feats. Perhaps you rose to power as a commander in the guard, or perhaps you lost it all and ended up as a beggar on the streets?
06-24-2016, 06:48 PM
This looks pretty interesting. So many good games in rotation but I'll keep my eye on this for some impressions hopefully.

06-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Same here, looks interested!
06-25-2016, 08:24 AM
I've found this trailer on the devs webpage and also contacted him to look into this thread if he wants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA1an8b2a6g
06-26-2016, 12:11 AM
Developer here! Thanks so much for reaching out forsakenxe!

So I had a beta thread on here a few weeks (or months?) back, and didn't realize that Touch Arcade would automatically add my game to this forum - neat!

It certainly is a very niche game - but if you enjoy the Inkle games (like Sorcery!), Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books, or Dungeon & Dragons tabletop roleplaying, then I think this game can scratch an itch that other games in the genre don't quite fulfil (replayability! strategy!). If you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer them.

I'm working with a few writers to add (free) post-release content so feel free to let me know what kind of stories and foes you'd like to see in the land of Argoria
06-26-2016, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewfreak83 View Post
It certainly is a very niche game - but if you enjoy the Inkle games (like Sorcery!), Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books, or Dungeon & Dragons tabletop roleplaying, then I think this game can scratch an itch that other games in the genre don't quite fulfil (replayability! strategy!). If you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer them.

I'm working with a few writers to add (free) post-release content so feel free to let me know what kind of stories and foes you'd like to see in the land of Argoria
Sold!!! Will come back with impressions later.
06-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKnickers View Post
Sold!!! Will come back with impressions later.
Yes please, waiting impatiently, thanks in advance.
06-26-2016, 09:57 AM
Looks really cool. I need to do some research & read a few imps but definitely has my attention.
06-26-2016, 10:37 AM
Lol! Just couldn't help myself! I HAD to buy! I can't play for a few hours but il post about it asap
06-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Felt very short. The story elements are pretty basic. I like the card battle combat system. It appears that replaying adds progression. You replay the story differently to progress. 1st play took maybe an hour. It's fun, but thin so far for me.