★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

[NL Soft Launch] Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (by FISHLABS)

06-29-2016, 06:43 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
[NL Soft Launch] Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (by FISHLABS)

Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore

FISHLABS
Genres: Games Actie Avontuur
GAME CENTER ENABLED
Gratis

Quote:
[ Galaxy on Fire is back! Pierce the heart of the Neox Sector and take down the galaxy’s most wanted criminals in Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore! Please note that iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPad Mini 1 and iPod Touch 6 or older are not supported. ]

# # # INTENSE SPACE FIGHTS IN STUNNING ENVIRONMENTS # # #
Pick a contract, choose a ship and dash into space. Show your piloting skills in a broad variety of freelance or boss missions and fight unrelenting enemies in breath-taking outer space environments. Dodge in-coming missiles with perfectly timed barrel rolls and dash through the ramifications of giant space stations. And once your shields are up again, strike back and give ‘em hell!

# # # TEAM UP TO CLEAR THE INTERGALACTIC BOSS LADDERS # # #
Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore puts an entire universe in your pocket. Hire your fellow players’ ships as wingmen and go after the galaxy’s most wanted criminals together. Remain unflinching as you advance further into the dark, pulsating heart of the Neox Sector!

# # # TRUST THE MEDIA # # #
The press is excited about Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore. While Touch Arcade says that it “is sure to be one of the big mobile games of the summer”, Pocket Gamer calls it “a fast, responsive, and gorgeous sci-fi blaster with stunning interstellar settings”.

# # # GALAXY ON FIRE 3 - MANTICORE’S UNIQUE FEATURES # # #
• A universe in your pocket: Play the 3rd installment of the pioneering GOF saga
• Give ‘em hell: Clear the intergalactic boss ladders
• Stunning game worlds: Traverse rich orbits and unlock new areas
• Gear up: Fly spectacular ships and mount powerful weapons
• A connected experience: Hire your friends’ ships as wingmen

# # # JOIN THE CORE # # #
Follow the links below to reach out to the developers and talk to your fellow players. Use the official hashtag #gof3manticore in your social media posts.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gof3manticore
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/gof3manticore
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gof3manticore
Tumblr: http://gof3manticore.tumblr.com
Support: http://support.dsfishlabs.com

# # # COSTS & REQUIREMENTS # # #
Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore requires iOS 8 (or higher) and we recommend you to use at least an iPhone 6, iPad 3 or iPad mini 2. Please note that iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPad Mini 1 and iPod Touch 6 or older are not supported.

While the initial download of Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore is free, you can make in-app purchases to advance and increase your experience. If you do not want to use them, you can disable them in the device settings.

Supported Devices:
  • iPhone5s
  • iPhone6
  • iPhone6Plus
  • iPodTouchSixthGen

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 8.0

Download Size: 994.6MB

iPhone 4 -> Galaxy S4 -> OnePlus One -> iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Gray... it's good to be back!
Primary gaming device: iPad Air 2 64GB Space Gray
Equine with vulpine tendencies.

Last edited by metalcasket; 07-06-2016 at 02:11 AM.
06-29-2016, 07:39 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
So I was browsing 9GAG on mobile and suddenly I got this ad in between posts promoting Galaxy on Fire Manticore with a download link.
As regular reader and forum dweller of TouchArcade, it was a big surprise for me the community did not pick up on this yet. Especially as I saw the ad on June 28th and it's downloadable since June 27th.
Had no luck searching for an iTunes link via Google, so I reckon this isn't a worldwide release yet for whatever reason.

Anyway, it's F2P for those who are wondering. Downloading now and I will let you guys now optional the F2P will be.
Can say this much up front for myself: if it will be like Skyforce I will shell out a few bucks, if it will be like Real Racing 3 then I am totally out.

QUICK IMPRESSIONS

Overal: Mixed

The good:
- Gorgeous graphics
- Lovely atmospheric music and nice sound effects
- So far engaging story line
- Deep ship customization system
- Lots of different mission types and "contract" missions in order to progress the main story line (similar system like the game Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor by finding bits and pieces to get to the boss.)

The bad:
- Continious Internet connection required to play
- Has 3 currency systems and everything is riddled with timers from ship repairs to ship upgrades
- Lengthy tutorial holding your hand so hard I cannot even get into the game configuration or IAP store even after playing countless missions for over 30 minutes now
- A lot less dialog with actual speech. Even during the main story mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post
Sad, ruined the game with online only. I never understood the purpose of this. Piracy? But it's free to play so that's not it.
One of the possible reasons is the wingman system... it uses random people on Game Center to fill in the slots before the start of a mission and are then AI controlled during said mission.
Will do a second test to see if the connection is only checked at the title screen or throughout the game and report back.

UPDATE: alas, continous Internet connection required to play as it checks into that constantly...

iPhone 4 -> Galaxy S4 -> OnePlus One -> iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Gray... it's good to be back!
Primary gaming device: iPad Air 2 64GB Space Gray
Equine with vulpine tendencies.

Last edited by metalcasket; 07-06-2016 at 02:11 AM.

06-29-2016, 09:16 AM
first gameplay

Last edited by CygnetSeven; 06-29-2016 at 09:19 AM.
06-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Very little confidence after seeing where GoF2 went. Being built from the ground up around IAP cannot be a good thing.
06-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Oh boy.....freeware. So much potential. So many possibilities but it is free? WHY?
06-29-2016, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeratulz View Post
Oh boy.....freeware. So much potential. So many possibilities but it is free? WHY?
Free-to-play, not freeware, that's another thing entirely

Follow me on Twitter for all the latest iOS news. And sometimes more.
06-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dib View Post
Very little confidence after seeing where GoF2 went. Being built from the ground up around IAP cannot be a good thing.
Built with IAP in mind AND online only. Persistent connection needed. I'll try it out just because I enjoyed the first two, but will be keeping my expectations rock bottom.
06-29-2016, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post
Built with IAP in mind AND online only. Persistent connection needed. I'll try it out just because I enjoyed the first two, but will be keeping my expectations rock bottom.
Damn. Wish it had been a free to try IAP unlock or something. Not sure if I want to create an NL account or wait.
06-29-2016, 10:52 AM
One of the most highly anticipated games on iOS as the first two were groundbreaking in terms of mobile gaming, only to utter disappointment that Galaxy on Fire 3 is just another freemium game plagued with IAP, timers and currency walls. This one is a fair candidate to the prize on how to ruin a franchise and break an established community.

People must speak and bring attention to this sort of things or premium games will end up dying for good in favor of pretty but highly superficial products riddled with timers. The future of mobile gaming is definitely threatened by this.