Universal [NL Soft Launch] Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (by FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pony, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    #1 Pony, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
    [NL Soft Launch] Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (by FISHLABS)

Old soft launch thread

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    #2 Pony, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
    So I was browsing 9GAG on mobile and suddenly I got this ad in between posts promoting Galaxy on Fire Manticore with a download link.
    As regular reader and forum dweller of TouchArcade, it was a big surprise for me the community did not pick up on this yet. Especially as I saw the ad on June 28th and it's downloadable since June 27th.
    Had no luck searching for an iTunes link via Google, so I reckon this isn't a worldwide release yet for whatever reason.

[​IMG]

Anyway, it's F2P for those who are wondering. Downloading now and I will let you guys now optional the F2P will be.
    Can say this much up front for myself: if it will be like Skyforce I will shell out a few bucks, if it will be like Real Racing 3 then I am totally out.

QUICK IMPRESSIONS

Overal: Mixed

The good:
    - Gorgeous graphics
    - Lovely atmospheric music and nice sound effects
    - So far engaging story line
    - Deep ship customization system
    - Lots of different mission types and "contract" missions in order to progress the main story line (similar system like the game Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor by finding bits and pieces to get to the boss.)

The bad:
    - Continious Internet connection required to play
    - Has 3 currency systems and everything is riddled with timers from ship repairs to ship upgrades
    - Lengthy tutorial holding your hand so hard I cannot even get into the game configuration or IAP store even after playing countless missions for over 30 minutes now
    - A lot less dialog with actual speech. Even during the main story mission.

One of the possible reasons is the wingman system... it uses random people on Game Center to fill in the slots before the start of a mission and are then AI controlled during said mission.
    Will do a second test to see if the connection is only checked at the title screen or throughout the game and report back.

UPDATE: alas, continous Internet connection required to play as it checks into that constantly...

3. Allstars Production

Allstars Production Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    #3 Allstars Production, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  4. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Very little confidence after seeing where GoF2 went. Being built from the ground up around IAP cannot be a good thing.

5. Zeratulz

Zeratulz Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Oh boy.....freeware. So much potential. So many possibilities but it is free? WHY?:confused:

6. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Free-to-play, not freeware, that's another thing entirely :)

7. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Built with IAP in mind AND online only. Persistent connection needed. I'll try it out just because I enjoyed the first two, but will be keeping my expectations rock bottom.

8. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Damn. Wish it had been a free to try IAP unlock or something. Not sure if I want to create an NL account or wait.

9. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    One of the most highly anticipated games on iOS as the first two were groundbreaking in terms of mobile gaming, only to utter disappointment that Galaxy on Fire 3 is just another freemium game plagued with IAP, timers and currency walls. This one is a fair candidate to the prize on how to ruin a franchise and break an established community.

People must speak and bring attention to this sort of things or premium games will end up dying for good in favor of pretty but highly superficial products riddled with timers. The future of mobile gaming is definitely threatened by this.

10. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I agree :(

11. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    So....No more freedom galaxy ? :confused: they ruin my Galaxy on Fire just like how Gameloft ruin Modern Combat and Dungeon Hunter ? :( This game is for AppleTV, we need something else for our handheld device, not this one :(

12. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    #13 Pony, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Unfortunately it's just missions and then returning to the main control screen just like any IAP game to further lure you in spending currency for upgrades.
    My guestimation is a lot of grinding "contract" missions in order to gain currency and the hope "informants" arrive during these missions in order to progress the main mission.
    Wondering the galaxy freely was an absolute charm of the first two itterations and I was already afraid this was going to be axed with this new version in favor of the typical IAP structure. :(

13. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Damn, was so excited... I'll pass...

14. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015

Kind of surprised how mediocre this game is, besides the free to play elements. The intro is cool, the voiceover sounds a lot like the illusive man from the Mass Effect series and the graphics are great. But the controls are one of the most unresponsive I've ever experienced. First I thought inverting the controls or changing the sensitivity would work, but that makes things even worse. Dogfights in space are not fun when you're struggling the controls all the time. The mission are super standard, go to point A kill 4 enemy fighter, then go to point B and kill more fighters, end of mission. The enemy fighter are extremely hard to spot and the UI is kind of useless in helping you find them.

Then there are 3 currencies and timers. My first timer was 30 minutes, then there was a timer for repairing my crappy fighter with minor damage, that was supposed to take over 2 hours already. And besides that the game is designed in a way that you can pay to upgrade or hire pretty much everything which makes the game unnecessary confusing.

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So the open universe, the defining feature of the series and genre, has been removed?

16. mikepinto

mikepinto Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Developer/Musician
    New Jersey
    I was really looking forward to this. But hearing about timers and IAP makes me so sad.

For now...check out stellar wanderer and rogue star instead.

17. Elensil

Elensil Active Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Is free trading no longer a viable game strategy?

Buying a trader and hauling freight across Galaxy was my favorite way to get rich. Sounds like that's no longer a feature of the game

18. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Sounds like a glorified shooter.... They have destroyed the series with this.
    Ages ago, I heard it would be like gof2 but with multiplayer, which sounded great! Let down big! :(

19. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    As you can read from my earlier post; yes. Hard to swallow, I know... but it had to be done to fit their new IAP model, I guess.
    Good thing I didn't look forward *too hard* on this one.