★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Come play the free, addictive, mechanical logic puzzle game xorbs and get ready for some mind gymnastics

in xorbs you will battle to restore order and defeat the master evil xorb!

xorbs (the little round creatures) come in 6 different colors and are trapped inside pods (the circle around the xorb) which also come in 6 different colors. if you put all the xorbs into a matching colored pod they are freed! your goal is to free them all

so come and join xorbs, there are loads of characters to meet along the way. you can even create your own custom levels and share them with your friends

code sharp's comments:


YouTube: video

How to create your own custom levels: video

this is the first time I have done this, I would be hugely grateful of any feedback you can give me!

thank you!

06-29-2016, 01:19 PM
#2
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 2
devilish fun

really enjoying this game, cute and fun, fast the beginning and brain teasing up in higher levels.

06-29-2016, 01:39 PM
#3
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 621
Not really a genre I like but the brief amount of time I spent with it was enjoyable. Seems like a polished game
06-29-2016, 03:43 PM
#4
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
Really fun game!

This game is really fun! I really like the mechanics of the game and characters are pretty cute... I think this is must to add to your game collection.
06-29-2016, 09:00 PM
#5
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,466
Cold Sharp,

What are the IAPs? How are the move counts used to rate player performance? Do you know the minimum number of moves needed to solve each level? Are these level algorithmically generated or hand crafted?

PS: Sorry. But two of the above posts looked like shill posts. That is too bad... New posters joining and then posting on the forum on the same day as the game's release...

Last edited by y2kmp3; 06-29-2016 at 09:04 PM.
06-29-2016, 11:59 PM
#6
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 8
hi y2kmp3,

thanks for your questions!

re: IAPs
you can buy gems which can be used to restore your lives when you run out (lives restore over time anywhere so this purchase is optional) or if you are stuck on a particular level you can use them to skip that level from the pause menu

re: Are these level algorithmically generated
all the levels are hand crafted and are designed to start off easy and slowly get more difficult and reveal more features and puzzle mechanics

re: Do you know the minimum number of moves needed to solve each level
it all starts to make more sense when you see the level editor (it's also available for users in the custom section of the game), here is the process
1. design & create a level
2. play that level and try and complete in the fewest number of moves
3. publish the level (publish is only possible once a level is completed)
4. the level is now ready to play for others and the minimum number of moves is set as the number of moves you just took
this process creates levels online however it was the same process i used to generate in the game levels.

re: How are the move counts used to rate player performance
score the minimum number of moves you get three stars
score half way between the minimum and 0 get 2 stars
score 0 moves you get 1 star

handy tip - if you tap the number of moves in game (top bar middle) it gives you a breakdown (only on levels with a finite number of moves)


re: shill posts - i was super excited to see xorbs on touch arcade so I posted the link on facebook, i suspect it could be some of my friends trying to be supportive (i'll ask them to stop)

if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask, i would be very happy to try and answer anything

may i ask what are your thoughts on the game?
06-30-2016, 03:15 AM
#7
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
Cold Sharp,

What are the IAPs? How are the move counts used to rate player performance? Do you know the minimum number of moves needed to solve each level? Are these level algorithmically generated or hand crafted?

PS: Sorry. But two of the above posts looked like shill posts. That is too bad... New posters joining and then posting on the forum on the same day as the game's release...
No offense, but before making such claims you could have checked my join date and post count (2014, ~500) first, to see that it's not true. Sorry for off topic.
06-30-2016, 06:51 AM
#8
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,466
Forsakenxe,

I was not referring to you. There were three posts after the OP. I said "two of the above posts" looked like shill posts which the OP later explained were his "friends" (keif, Deanofitz). Please read carefully what I said in that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenxe View Post
No offense, but before making such claims you could have checked my join date and post count (2014, ~500) first, to see that it's not true. Sorry for off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by code sharp View Post
re: shill posts - i was super excited to see xorbs on touch arcade so I posted the link on facebook, i suspect it could be some of my friends trying to be supportive
06-30-2016, 08:07 AM
#9
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,466
Hi, Code Sharp,

Thank you for your answers. They were very helpful. Apologize for misspelling your handle in my previous post.

Given the procedure you described you used in making the levels, does it mean that this "minimum" move number for a level is merely the number of moves the creator of the level used to solve the level and not necessary the "true minimum" if another more efficient solution exists? For 3 stars, it appears that you do not need to match exactly (contrary to what I understood from your previous reply) the "minimum" move count but some threshold below that. Can you clarify? If this is the case, how can I even tell what is the "current minimum" move count?

I quite like the available mechanics so far. There are a lot of mechanics to learn to use. Love the simple but very emotive character arts (for example, the characters react if you touch them). Awesome humorous character naming ("aristocrat - allows you to skip levels"). I spilled coffee on myself when I read that!

Can you tell me the "maximum" move count that appears so far in the game? This may give me a good estimate on how difficult the game will be.

PS: I am unsure what the utility of the timer is, as the score is not based on time. As well, it makes little sense since one can just memorize the moves, once the solution is discovered, to replay the level as quickly as possible to improve the completion time. Thus, the completion time is not a meaningful metric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by code sharp View Post
hi y2kmp3,

thanks for your questions!

re: IAPs
you can buy gems which can be used to restore your lives when you run out (lives restore over time anywhere so this purchase is optional) or if you are stuck on a particular level you can use them to skip that level from the pause menu

re: Are these level algorithmically generated
all the levels are hand crafted and are designed to start off easy and slowly get more difficult and reveal more features and puzzle mechanics

re: Do you know the minimum number of moves needed to solve each level
it all starts to make more sense when you see the level editor (it's also available for users in the custom section of the game), here is the process
1. design & create a level
2. play that level and try and complete in the fewest number of moves
3. publish the level (publish is only possible once a level is completed)
4. the level is now ready to play for others and the minimum number of moves is set as the number of moves you just took
this process creates levels online however it was the same process i used to generate in the game levels.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 06-30-2016 at 08:36 AM.
06-30-2016, 09:00 AM
#10
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 8
Hi y2kmp3,

Re: misspelling

no problem at all :-)

Re: Given the procedure you described you used in making the levels, does it mean that this "minimum" move number for a level is merely the number of moves the creator of the level used to solve the level and not necessary the "true minimum" if another more efficient solution exists

Yes that's right - in fact, it is quite possible that some of the in game levels could in theory be completed in fewer moves than the stated minimum. Maybe I should offer a bonus if that happens or something, what do you think? It would be awesome if I was able to brute force every combination for a level so I get the true minimum value, not sure how much work this would entail though

Re: how can I even tell what is the "current minimum" move count?

You can tap the number of moves in the top bar and a dialog opens (this is only for levels with finite moves) This dialog describes the number of stars you will be awarded given a certain threshold of moves remaining (i posted a screen shot of this in my last post)

Re: For 3 stars, it appears that you do not need to match exactly (contrary to what I understood from your previous reply) the "minimum" move count but some threshold below that

Could you give me an example?

Re: I quite like the available mechanics so far

This makes me very happy :-D

What level are you up to?

Re: Can you tell me the "maximum" move count that appears so far in the game?

The maximum for a level is 72 - it's very late on in the game though. Most levels have fewer than 30 moves though.
However whilst the move count is a decent measure of level difficulty you will see that some levels are quite tricky despite having a lowish move count

Re: Thus, the completion time is not a meaningful metric

I understand what you are saying and I do agree. I suppose this metric makes more sense if you connect to facebook in the game, when you do so you will be presented with a list of how your friends scored for a given level. I have seen that some users enjoy the competitive element of trying to beat there friends score both in number of moves and in completion time

If there is anything else please don't hesitate to ask, I am very happy to try and answer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
Hi, Code Sharp,

Thank you for your answers. They were very helpful. Apologize for misspelling your handle in my previous post.

Given the procedure you described you used in making the levels, does it mean that this "minimum" move number for a level is merely the number of moves the creator of the level used to solve the level and not necessary the "true minimum" if another more efficient solution exists? For 3 stars, it appears that you do not need to match exactly (contrary to what I understood from your previous reply) the "minimum" move count but some threshold below that. Can you clarify? If this is the case, how can I even tell what is the "current minimum" move count?

I quite like the available mechanics so far. There are a lot of mechanics to learn to use. Can you tell me the "maximum" move count that appears so far in the game? This may give me a good estimate on how difficult the game will be.

PS: I am unsure what the utility of the timer is, as the score is not based on time. As well, it makes little sense since one can just memorize the moves, once the solution is discovered, to replay the level as quickly as possible to improve the completion time. Thus, the completion time is not a meaningful metric.