New battery or new iDevice?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by OrangutanKungfu, Jun 30, 2016.

1. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I'm on my third generation of iPhone right now: 3GS, 4S then a 6. I was perfectly happy with the 4S for three years or so, but it got to a point where I was having to recharge it constantly as the battery would last barely an hour if I was actually using it. That feature now is quite handy, as I have passed the phone on to my daughters, and the limited battery life means my eldest can play for only 40-60min before having to do something else.

Anyways, after a couple of years, my iPhone 6 is now reaching the point where I'm recharging twice a day, or more if I'm playing something particularly energy-intensive (thank goodness for Michael Brough!). I reckon it'll be barely usable in another 6-12 months. However, I like being on iOS 8.4 and the 6S isn't enough of an upgrade to interest me.

tl;dr Do you keep upgrading your Apple devices every chance you get, or does anyone simply replace the battery on the older kit?

2. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Well actually it depends on how much they want for battery replacement and how old the device is. I wouldn't waste my time or money for even 5s at this point. But situation can be different for iPad and Mac. Gonna write detailed reply tomorrow.

3. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Actually, now Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is finally being updated, I don't feel so keen to cling on to old hardware. However, I also hate being forced into the two-year upgrade cycle by mobile phone contracts. Think it's £59 (circa $80) to have a battery replaced by an official Apple Store in the UK, and I'm sure some unofficial guys will do it for roughly two-thirds of the price. Either way, it would be less than the upgrade price on an iPhone 6S, and I'd get a cheaper year or two before the 7 or even 7S.

Just wondering if anybody bothers buying a new battery. I haven't done it before, but very tempted this time around.

4. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Poor quality batteries may damage the device or even you. I think you should wait for 7 before changing the battery.

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have changed out batteries on the 3 GS, the 4 and the 5. You have to make sure they are OEM for the most part, but if you are reasonably handy, you can do it yourself. You have to buy some specialized screwdrivers, and some plastic prying thingies. There are some very good web pages and some youtube videos that walk you through it step by step. All these batteries are generally good for about 500 or so "full charges" so you figure a couple years with heavy use is going to end the life span. One of the reasons I am still a fan of AA and AAA devices - so much easier to replace things.

The big thing is getting an OEM or a recognized big brand name so you have reasonable quality control. Be careful if the OEM price seems too good to be true, it is probably a second that was purchased by a 3rd party trying to rip people off.

That all being said, there is something to having a new device. Everyone to me has certainly been a nice improvement on its predecessors and you have a warranty.

6. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Thank you! I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do it myself, so I'd probably hit an Apple store or something, but I absolutely take your point about prices being too good to be true. The number of shoddy screen replacements I've had...

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I would do an Apple store or a place with very high reliability. I found out the hard way repairing a PS3 at a place with very good reviews, but it ultimately cost more than Sony would have charged, and Sony's repair warranty was actually better.

Pay me now or pay me later...