★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Flash-based iPhone Game: Just Letters - FREE

10-13-2009, 02:38 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Flash-based iPhone Game: Just Letters - FREE

Hi all,
I'm new to iPhone development, having entered into it from the dark side read Flash. Be gentle to me.
My Just Letters game was one of the handful of games that Adobe announced last week when the export feature from Flash to .ipa was announced.

Anyways, to cut a long story short I've made the game free for now (previously $0.99). It really needs more players to be fun - you'll see why when you try it. Download the game here.

I'd appreciate any feedback, and if you have time to rate and review the game then even better. I'm happy to share some stats about the game soon, it has sold a few copies over the last week but I can already tell that this app store thing is a tough nut to crack.

Cheers

Stefan
10-13-2009, 02:43 AM
downloading now. Thanks

10-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Cool. How's the flash export feature?
10-13-2009, 02:59 AM
ok, I tried it for a couple of minutes and interacted with another user.
It's not exactly a game. You have the door of a fridge filled with magnet letters, and you can use them to spell words. Since all users use the same letters at the same time, you can communicate with them, steal their letters, and so on.
It's a sort of new take on social networking, just like distant shore or similar apps.
10-13-2009, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoem View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to iPhone development, having entered into it from the dark side read Flash. Be gentle to me.
My Just Letters game was one of the handful of games that Adobe announced last week when the export feature from Flash to .ipa was announced.

Anyways, to cut a long story short I've made the game free for now (previously $0.99). It really needs more players to be fun - you'll see why when you try it. Download the game here.

I'd appreciate any feedback, and if you have time to rate and review the game then even better. I'm happy to share some stats about the game soon, it has sold a few copies over the last week but I can already tell that this app store thing is a tough nut to crack.

Cheers

Stefan
Hello Stefan,

I am interested in how you do it, using Adobe Flash. Please drop me a PM. Thank you.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)
10-13-2009, 03:09 AM
thanks everyone.
You are right, it is a game only in the widest sense, but it has been very popular as a browser based game (I'll just call it that for now) where it gets hundreds and often thousands of plays a day. To succeed on the App Store it needs a pretty wide install base and right now I am not sure if that's achievable, or at least not easily.

The Flash export feature is still in early beta and will take some time to mature. Just Letters was built using an even earlier drop, with a bunch of commandline tools basically.

Did anyone try it on an iPod Touch? I had one person email me saying that it failed to install because 'the device does not have any microphone input'. That seems strange as nothing in the game requires or accesses the mic.

Cheers

Stefan
10-13-2009, 03:17 AM
@currymutton
I have not got any details to share yet as the version of Flash I was using has not yet been released. There's some info at Adobe.com about the announcements though.

Regards,

Stefan
10-13-2009, 03:21 AM
Quote:

Did anyone try it on an iPod Touch? I had one person email me saying that it failed to install because 'the device does not have any microphone input'. That seems strange as nothing in the game requires or accesses the mic.
probably you did not check it as compatible with ipod touch when compiling (sorry I don't know if I used the right terms). The microphone thing seems to be the standard message for iPod touch incompatibility.
10-13-2009, 03:28 AM
Quote:
@currymutton
I have not got any details to share yet as the version of Flash I was using has not yet been released. There's some info at Adobe.com about the announcements though.

Regards,

Stefan
I guess you are talking about the new Flash CS 5 which was all over the news last week. I don't have the luck to get my hands on and frankly, I don't know anything about Flash programming. I am more onto traditional OOP developments. And I see it is a solution to having Flash on iPhone, let's see if Flash video support many have asked for would be the next.

My gaming and other lives prevent me from getting to much into iPhone developments. Shame.

Sorry for being off topic

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)
10-13-2009, 03:44 AM
Send a message via MSN to LonERecoN
To make games using Flash CS5, would you need to have a Mac? Or would it work with Windows?

iOS Developer
Star Shooter
Star Shooter: HD
Follow me: @MattGibbard