★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: ANALOGretro
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 19.2 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Pilot a Starfighter in the premiere 3D space fighting game for the iPhone and touch!

"immersive sci-fi experience" - MacWorld.com

"...Star Rangers tops my list of games...you have to buy it if you are into iPhone first-person shooter, epic space fighter games." - AppStruck.com

"...the tension of warping around the galaxy picking off an invasion bit by bit carries its own exciting appeal" - PocketGamer

"The controls are simple enough to make it fun, and the gameplay is dense enough to keep you coming back" - Brian Rubin

The Premier 3D Space Fighter Game for the iPod Touch and iPhone has Arrived!

Star Rangers introduces a new level of fast-paced, first-person space combat with incredible detail. As a Star Ranger you must defend your bases scattered throughout the galaxy against a fleet of alien ships but the clock is ticking and enemy squadrons are surrounding and targeting your bases for destruction! Only your skills, strategy and speed will save you against the games advanced enemy AI. Protect your starbases, destroy the enemy and earn up to 18 achievement medals as you rise through the ranks of the Star Rangers!

Game clips at: www.analogretro.com/StarRangers/video

FEATURES

Full 3D effects from Tom Hudson game designer, 3D graphics programmer and co-creator of Autodesk 3ds max, the most widely-used 3D content creation software in the world
3D graphics design by Jon A. Bell award-winning visual effects artist for The Discovery Channel, National Geographic TV, History.com and others
Game design, sound FX, and game play testing by Lee H. Pappas leading video game magazine publisher and industry analyst

GAME PLAY

Fast-paced first-person game-play in three different mission scenarios (with more coming):
- Galaxy Defense
- The Last Starbase
- Instant Action
Four Difficulty Levels:
- Rookie (training)
- Fighter (hone your skills)
- Warrior (the going gets tough!)
- Ace (the enemies show you no mercy!)
Earn 18 achievement medals
Advanced enemy AI alien ships can attack, stalk or run away, forcing you to hunt them down
The best accelerometer control of any space-based game
Free flight warp to dozens of different galactic sectors at any time with 360 freedom of control
Fluid play no waiting for game loading during a mission
Dock at Starbases and Fuel depots for repairs & refueling
Touch-control Galactic Map, interactive 3D Long Range Scan, and 14 player-operated cockpit controls every control has a function
Status indicators display damage to weapons, shields, engines, and communications; tracking computer displays real-time enemy ship positions
Achieve the highest rank of Star Ranger Class 1 based on skill, energy use, time and damage sustained

VISUALS AND SOUND

Colorful 3D environments, highly-textured models and dazzling pyrotechnic effects amazing attention to detail for a hand-held game
Over 100 sound FX!
Original theme music by S. Christian Collins
Play your own music during the game

MORE!

Extensive Help and Tutorial menus get you playing quickly
OpenFeint-based worldwide high scores with individual map codes. Enter in any map code posted on the Leaderboard and play the same scenario as another player, attempting to beat his score. You can even send friends a Challenge to try and top your score. Compare your friends Medals with what youve earned.
Plays on all generations of iPod touch & iPhone

Your 5-star reviews keep the fire lit to develop updates!

FOLLOW at twitter.com/starrangers
for game hints & new developments

www.analogretro.com

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

10-13-2009, 03:17 AM
impressive cast of creators, but the screenshots doesnt look at all impressive.
Id say Galaxy on Fire by Fishlabs has better graphics.
Maybe a video can prove me wrong.

10-13-2009, 03:45 AM
www.analogretro.com doesn't work at all.

Seems to be an old game on the PC by the same name - is this a port of that?

Jamie.
10-13-2009, 05:35 AM
hmmm the starfield background looks horrible, the 3d models are worse than those of frontier: elite 2!

saying that, it kinda has a 3d star raiders vibe, if im correct in saying that i might have a punt on this.

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014
10-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanj View Post
www.analogretro.com doesn't work at all.

Seems to be an old game on the PC by the same name - is this a port of that?

Jamie.
Twitter account works -- says the website will be ready on Wednesday. I will TOFTT and will post impressions later today.
10-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1976 View Post
impressive cast of creators, but the screenshots doesnt look at all impressive.
Exactly my thoughts. :-)
I remember some movies that need to feature "big" names on the cover in order to even sell. Frankly I know now on them and don't care, I want a good game and what I see does not communicate "good".

However, I do find the screenshot with the sector map and "launch fighter" button interesting.
But base on the description I am really wondering what the game is about --and surely do not dare to buy it. :-)
10-13-2009, 09:07 AM
1) It's basically this:

2) It looks rather crap. Visually, anyway; poorly chosen, low-res textures, ugly buttons ... just generally ugly all around. I don't know how it plays, but Star Raiders has very big boots to fill, and give the graphics, I somehow doubt this team has the ... equipment. They may be big names, but they are big names that don't appear to have ever designed games before.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

Last edited by Mindfield; 10-13-2009 at 09:12 AM.
10-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
1) It's basically this:

2) It looks rather crap. Visually, anyway; poorly chosen, low-res textures, ugly buttons ... just generally ugly all around. I don't know how it plays, but Star Raiders has very big boots to fill, and give the graphics, I somehow doubt this team has the ... equipment. They may be big names, but they are big names that don't appear to have ever designed games before.
I know that you're trying to be funny, Mindfield, but we should keep in mind that the Atari Star Raiders looks like this:

Youtube link | Pop Up
10-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I know that you're trying to be funny, Mindfield, but we should keep in mind that the Atari Star Raiders looks like this:
Well, first, at the time, the graphics were pretty impressive given the hardware.
However, my main reason for invoking Star Raiders (other than that this game is more or less a clone of it) was because it was an awesome game that played very well and got everything right. Anyone who remembers and loved Star Raiders (whether for the 2600 or 8-bit, the latter of which did have better graphics if you want to be picky) still peg it as one if the finest examples of gaming of its era and beyond. It was simply a great game, and those are the big shoes this game would have to try and fill to anyone who recognizes this game for what it's trying to be.

Again though, I don't know what it plays like and haven't seen a video of it, but the visuals alone aren't inspiring me to part with $5 to find out.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
10-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Well, first, at the time, the graphics were pretty impressive given the hardware.
However, my main reason for invoking Star Raiders (other than that this game is more or less a clone of it) was because it was an awesome game that played very well and got everything right. Anyone who remembers and loved Star Raiders (whether for the 2600 or 8-bit, the latter of which did have better graphics if you want to be picky) still peg it as one if the finest examples of gaming of its era and beyond. It was simply a great game, and those are the big shoes this game would have to try and fill to anyone who recognizes this game for what it's trying to be.

Again though, I don't know what it plays like and haven't seen a video of it, but the visuals alone aren't inspiring me to part with $5 to find out.
QFT

I loved the original star raiders and this looks like they may have, after nearly 30 years, somehow managed to bodge it up! if it was $2 or sommit i take the plunge but it looks risky at $4.99 (tho i wanna know how this plays )

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014

Last edited by Acidbottle; 10-13-2009 at 09:30 AM.