★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: FIE
  • Genre: Sports
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 93.1 MB
  • Version: 2.15.104
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 4 (1)
App description: FIE Swordplay is the first mobile game with real athletic rules for fencing with foils, swords, and sabers that is officially supported by the FIE (http://fie.org). Learn real techniques from simple thrusts to powerful lunges and devious feints. Play against an AI opponent or challenge a social network friend to a duel.

Choose the country you want to represent, equip your fencer, and enter tournaments all over the world. Fight your way from ambitious novice to fencing master.

Features of FIE Swordplay

The world's first mobile game with real rules and techniques from athletic fencing
Gorgeous 3D graphics, phenomenal animation, and real fencing physics
Deep customization fine-tune your weapons and equip your character with gear such as vests and masks
Compelling PvE campaign: fight your way from novice athlete to world champion
Asynchronous PvP mode: duel your social network friends
Incredibly simple, easy-to-use controls. Master several types of weapons quickly, then hone your skills
Officially supported by the International Fencing Federation

Start playing FIE Swordplay and compete in fencing duels that are dynamic, striking, and full of drama right on the screen of your mobile device! Athletic combat with swords and foils has never looked so spectacular!

Blackharon's comments:

I got this game because fencing. I keep this game because fencing!
07-19-2016, 09:08 AM

I don't really care about fencing, but I like this game. It has a decent amount of depth with different fighting styles and gear with extra stats. The animations look great. There's PVP and a campaign and the controls are really responsive.

07-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchy85 View Post

I don't really care about fencing, but I like this game. It has a decent amount of depth with different fighting styles and gear with extra stats. The animations look great. There's PVP and a campaign and the controls are really responsive.
Agreed - the animations are incredibly fluid, even at later levels when there's less pause between the actions. It's kinda gorgeous!

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
07-19-2016, 11:35 AM
I played and won the first match. It asked me to log into Facebook. I successfully logged in and the game showed my winnings. I clicked next and bam the game crashed to the desktop.

I restarted the game and it erased everything. I went through the tutorial again. I won the first match. I logged into Facebook. It said I was already connected. Bam. I crashed to the desktop.

I restarted the game. Again all my progress was deleted.

I won't be playing until the game is fixed. I'm attempting to email the developers. I'm obviously holding off on my rating until I hear or don't hear back from them.

iPhone 6 running iOS 9.3.2

Billy
07-19-2016, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordShad0wz View Post
I played and won the first match. It asked me to log into Facebook. I successfully logged in and the game showed my winnings. I clicked next and bam the game crashed to the desktop.

I restarted the game and it erased everything. I went through the tutorial again. I won the first match. I logged into Facebook. It said I was already connected. Bam. I crashed to the desktop.

I restarted the game. Again all my progress was deleted.

I won't be playing until the game is fixed. I'm attempting to email the developers. I'm obviously holding off on my rating until I hear or don't hear back from them.

iPhone 6 running iOS 9.3.2

Billy
I don't do Facebook, so I haven't run into this problem. As someone who spent a few years obsessed with foil fencing, I think the game is pretty damn good. Controls, visuals, animation, they are all top-notch -- the whole thing feels really polished. More important, it feels like fencing -- the action is fast, skill-based, and perfectly paced.

As a side note, the game is free to play, but it doesn't feel like it, at least so far. No timers, no intrusive offers. You bet that I'm dropping some coin on this, though -- it's worth it.
07-20-2016, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I don't do Facebook, so I haven't run into this problem. As someone who spent a few years obsessed with foil fencing, I think the game is pretty damn good. Controls, visuals, animation, they are all top-notch -- the whole thing feels really polished. More important, it feels like fencing -- the action is fast, skill-based, and perfectly paced.

As a side note, the game is free to play, but it doesn't feel like it, at least so far. No timers, no intrusive offers. You bet that I'm dropping some coin on this, though -- it's worth it.
Ugh foilist. Epee is where it's at!
I've gotten far enough to unlock new blades and now my one minor gripe is my fencer holding a saber uses it like a foil. (that and the end of the saber is taped? I need to play it on the iPad to confirm)

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
07-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
Ugh foilist. Epee is where it's at!
I've gotten far enough to unlock new blades and now my one minor gripe is my fencer holding a saber uses it like a foil. (that and the end of the saber is taped? I need to play it on the iPad to confirm)
Yeah - epee was always too chaotic for me :-).

I just got my first style -- "aggressive." I like how the game is adding depth without overcomplicating the action or the controls. In real fencing you would have an entire arsenal of moves, feigns and attacks, which seems impossible to replicate in a video game (especially on mobile). By creating limited sets that you can choose, though, the game recreates how marches usually go -- you read your opponent and use a limited amount of techniques to match their style. In any event, there seems to be a surprising amount of depth to the game.

It's unfortunate if sabre plays like foil and epee -- I was looking forward to some slashing action.
07-20-2016, 08:35 AM
I never played fencing but to be honest I always wanted to. So I went and deleted the game. I reinstalled the game. Went through the tutorial. I successfully signed into Facebook and made it through the USA and won and now I'm on to Europe.

I think I just had a wonky install.

As to the game. As I've never played fencing I have to say it's pretty fascinating. Now that I'm onto the second country the moves are different. The game actually walks you through what you need to know. The controls work flawlessly which really helps. When I lose I feel like it's my fault and not because of the game.

As to the monetization I would have already spent some money to send the development team some support but they have the purchase of equipment very strict. So far I've only been able to buy a helmet and I already had way more than enough currency earned to buy it. Maybe they need to tweak that a bit.

When I'm given the opportunity to make a purchase I will. I like this game. It's a really good experience. The gameplay is designed really well. I love the artwork. There's no lag issues or anything of that sort. I like the Facebook integration.

The only thing I would request is iCloud save support since it appears there is only consumable IAP.

Billy

Quote:

07-20-2016, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Yeah - epee was always too chaotic for me :-).

It's unfortunate if sabre plays like foil and epee -- I was looking forward to some slashing action.
Does it play like a schlager? (SCA historical combat)
07-20-2016, 02:01 PM
How does asynchronous multiplayer even work with a game like this??