★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Dark Space 2D Space Shooter

10-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Dark Space 2D Space Shooter

I'm an iPhone developer for a year now and since July or so my app Dark Space is available on iTunes. Search for "Dark Space" and you will find it very easily.

I would be very interessted in your opinions and any advice you could give me. Please don't write things like "the grafix are s**t" without giving any advice how to improve the missliking feature.

Thank you a lot!

10-13-2009, 07:27 AM

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
10-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Kroupy View Post
lease don't write things like "the grafix are s**t"
The graphics are s**t!!!!111eleventy!!!111! (j/k!)

The graphics could be better, but they're not your issue. By themselves, they don't look bad. It's more concerning of how they perform in your game. Large graphics like that tend to be symptomatic of a greater problem. And that problem is that you need to do some research on what makes a good space shooter.

The best developers all share one attribute in common: They learn from what has come before them.

If you want to create a AAA game, it will take blood, sweat, and tears before you lay down a single line of code. You're going to need to go play the games that have defined the industry. Everything from Galaga to Ikaruga. Then go to shmup forums and read up on the various opinions and observations that people have.

(For example, did you know that the vast majority of shmups have a smaller hitbox than the size of the ship? This not only reduces cheap deaths when a bullet hits an invisible part of your bounding box, but it also allows the programmer to throw more bullets at you without making the game impossible.)

By the time you're done, you should be able to differentiate a bullet hell shooter from a classic scrolling shooter. You should understand what power-ups do to a game and why modern shooters de-emphasize power-ups in favor of game mechanics. Most importantly, you should know how to keep the player on the edge of their seat at all times without delving into the realm of frustration.

Once you understand these things, then you can make explicit decisions about how you want your game constructed. You can choose to follow the flow of progress, turn back the clock, or break out from the existing designs. Even if you choose the latter, you do so with a clear understanding of what you're doing and why you're doing it.

So in summary: Go forth and play some shooters!
Honda Shadow

Last edited by thewiirocks; 02-17-2011 at 12:06 AM.