★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Marc Auger
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 22.3 MB
  • Version: 1.3
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Travel the galaxy, become an expert trader, fight pirates, and run from the police in Space Trader! A much-anticipated remake of the hugely popular, timeless strategy game from the 1980s, Space Trader 2016 is a historically accurate port of the original Palm Pilot game by Pieter Spronck. It features the original ten commodities and more than 100 original planets, each with unique tech levels, governments, resources, and other characteristics.

For support or to submit a bug report, email hello@spacetraderios.com.
07-20-2016, 02:55 PM
I played the original on my Sony palm pilot. Very fun game.

07-21-2016, 12:15 AM
I too, played this on my PDA back in the day. Time to get on a bit of nostalgia!
07-21-2016, 01:18 AM
There have been tons of Space Trader clones/remakes on iOS. I used to play Dark Nova for instance, and one came out recently called SpaceTrader by Sightsaw just to name a couple. Then there are evolutions of the concept like Star Traders RPG. What makes this one in particular worth picking up?

It's too late.
07-21-2016, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
There have been tons of Space Trader clones/remakes on iOS. I used to play Dark Nova for instance, and one came out recently called SpaceTrader by Sightsaw just to name a couple. Then there are evolutions of the concept like Star Traders RPG. What makes this one in particular worth picking up?
I've tried a few of those you mentioned, but IMHO they all fail to hit the mark. The original has a minimalist interface, but the gameplay is outstanding. That's why it's had so many makeovers, but this is a case of "less is more" and it has just taken this long for someone who appreciates the original enough to make it available in its unfettered form - at last!
07-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Nice having the blast from the past. I hit a few bugs though and eventually stopped playing. One irritating one was that button hit targets were ineffective on a 6 plus, especially for "ignore." I eventually found the exact right spot to tap but it definitely wasn't the whole button.

Ultimately, though, the game decided I had -3 of something, let me sell it and added 3 extra cargo bays to my ship, then locked up. Since I also wasn't able to correctly cycle though destinations while in the buy interface I gave up until the first update.

I play lots of games, especially async ones. You can add me on GC: geoelectric
07-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Actually, I've had a few issues too. I'm on a 6+ and the key touch doesn't register so well. Needs visual feedback on key touch to tell us when we've pressed "flee", for example. Hope the dev can fix and update soon.
07-21-2016, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roleki View Post
Actually, I've had a few issues too. I'm on a 6+ and the key touch doesn't register so well. Needs visual feedback on key touch to tell us when we've pressed "flee", for example. Hope the dev can fix and update soon.
Very bottom left of the button is what worked for me.

I play lots of games, especially async ones. You can add me on GC: geoelectric
07-23-2016, 05:10 AM
How does it play on an iPhone 6?

I love Star Traders, but since I moved fully to iOS I had to leave it behind for the most part. The iOS version hasn't been updated in over 1 year, different engine to the Android one which is still being updated.

As such I'm wondering if this will fix that itch for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-23-2016, 09:50 AM
Would like to see Marc Auger drop in and comment on the possibility of a bug-fix update to fix the poor key response issue. Not sure if I will play it as it is, which would be a shame.