★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Multi-award winning 2D horror puzzle adventure about a boy with a glowing head.

One gloomy night, Bulb Boy wakes suddenly from a frightening nightmare to discover that evil has overshadowed the Bulbhouse. His family has disappeared and there are horrid monsters lurking in the shadows. Gather the courage and use his glass head to save everything he loves. Find light in yourself!

Gameplay
Bulb Boy is an intuitive 2D point & click horror adventure about a boy with a glowing head (alright, it's a bulb...) inspired by Machinarium and Gobliiins. Solve puzzles, defeat wicked monsters and reveal bulby's abilities to unfold a twisted tale. Ohhh... And don't forget to save your Grandpa-raffin and Mothdog from the frightening darkness..

Key Features
DEFEAT THE MONSTERS -Explore the Bulb house, that is full of frightening creatures. Defeat the evil in all its forms and bring the light back.
BULB'S TALENTS - Being a boy that is a bulb comes with many talents. Not only does your head light up and allows you to survive electrical shocks, but it can also be unscrewed for use in strange places.
PLAYABLE FLASHBACKS - Play as other family characters. Relive Bulb Boy's childhood memories to uncover the mystery of the story.
BUBBLE SPEECH - No dialogue, just bubble speech. Watch the story unfold in animated clouds.
SECRETS - There are things in the house waiting to be revealed.
POOP - In many sizes and proportions.

metalcasket's comments:

07-21-2016, 06:51 AM

Most important thing for me in point and click adventures is: do the puzzles make sense. In Bulb Boy they don't make sense all the time and I think that makes the game way more frustrating than it should. That's a shame given how good the game looks and how charming it is.

07-21-2016, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchy85 View Post
Most important thing for me in point and click adventures is: do the puzzles make sense. In Bulb Boy they don't make sense all the time and I think that makes the game way more frustrating than it should. That's a shame given how good the game looks and how charming it is.
Having proved that I still cannot play through Day of the Tentacle without a walkthrough in hand 20 years later, I have no problem with nonsensical solutions in Point and Click games. The Monkey Islands had them, Grim Fandango did (again, my favorite game of all time) and even more "common sense" titles like the classic Broken Swords had solutions that were a little far fetched. That doesn't take ANYTHING away from how good Bulb Boy is.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
07-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Having proved that I still cannot play through Day of the Tentacle without a walkthrough in hand 20 years later, I have no problem with nonsensical solutions in Point and Click games. The Monkey Islands had them, Grim Fandango did (again, my favorite game of all time) and even more "common sense" titles like the classic Broken Swords had solutions that were a little far fetched. That doesn't take ANYTHING away from how good Bulb Boy is.
I can't remember the last point and clicker I played that didn't have obscure solutions - in fact I'm disappointed if they don't - will be buying this Asaph but it'll have to wait till I've finished DOTT
07-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecan View Post
I can't remember the last point and clicker I played that didn't have obscure solutions - in fact I'm disappointed if they don't - will be buying this Asaph but it'll have to wait till I've finished DOTT
Well then get to finishing Tentacle!

I can officially endorse Bulb Boy right now. There was a bug with the release version that made the game insanely dark on Metal devices, but the update just hit and we're good to go!

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
07-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Quote:
It does take anything away from how good Bulb Boy is for me. I like it when I take my time and get to a solution that does make sense. I noticed that when I was playing Bulb Boy that I pretty much started to tap random objects on my screen and hope I accidentally solved the puzzle. For example I've played through all the Gabriel Knight games on iOS and this never happened.
07-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchy85 View Post
It does take anything away from how good Bulb Boy is for me. I like it when I take my time and get to a solution that does make sense. I noticed that when I was playing Bulb Boy that I pretty much started to tap random objects on my screen and hope I accidentally solved the puzzle. For example I've played through all the Gabriel Knight games on iOS and this never happened.
Have you tried the Blackwell games? The aforementioned titles in this thread? Fran Bow? The Longest Journey? The Leisure Suit Larry series? Ever heard of the term "Pixel Hunting"? It was all too common back in the day to not even notice objects you could pick up on screen and you'd have to resort to literally clicking on all parts of the screen to find them and god forbid, try every single inconceivable combination of things to move along.

I get that it gets in the way of your enjoyment of Bulb Boy, but I just don't want people to think "Oh great...this shit doesn't make sense. I'm not gonna bother". The caveat with nearly all classic and "modern classic" P&C games is the very issue you're having with Bulb Boy.

07-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Have you tried the Blackwell games? The aforementioned titles in this thread? Fran Bow? The Longest Journey? The Leisure Suit Larry series? Ever heard of the term "Pixel Hunting"? It was all too common back in the day to not even notice objects you could pick up on screen and you'd have to resort to literally clicking on all parts of the screen to find them and god forbid, try every single inconceivable combination of things to move along.

I get that it gets in the way of your enjoyment of Bulb Boy, but I just don't want people to think "Oh great...this shit doesn't make sense. I'm not gonna bother". The caveat with nearly all classic and "modern classic" P&C games is the very issue you're having with Bulb Boy.
Only played Leisure Suit Larry, but I was way too young back then and pretty much had the same problem with that. Don't get me wrong, Bulb Boy gets a lot of great reviews on steam. But for me tapping random objects and trying random combinations is not something I enjoy in games, glad you're enjoying it though. People might have the same opinion about this as me and they might want to know this before the buy Bulb Boy.
07-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Well then get to finishing Tentacle!

I can officially endorse Bulb Boy right now. There was a bug with the release version that made the game insanely dark on Metal devices, but the update just hit and we're good to go!
Sold and bought!

I'm taking my time with tentacle - when I last played it was fairly soon after it came out and our PC couldn't handle the speech so Ive never heard the dialogue spoken before which Is just making me love it all the more.

Give me Sam and Max and I'll be a very happy bunny.
07-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Quote:
There was a bug with the release version that made the game insanely dark on Metal devices, but the update just hit and we're good to go!
The visuals are so much better after the update. I thought something didn't seem right with the previous version. You couldn't see a thing apart from the light directly around the character. And there was really bad banding on the gradients.

Love it!

Current Favourites - Lara Croft GO, The Room Three, Crashlands, Assassin's Creed Identity